Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 43

Thread: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

  1. #21

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    thanks, never know there are free ware for resizing.

    by the way, is there any freeware for digital photoframe? saw some people posting their photo nicely with black frames and custom signature.
    There are many, and this is a common question. Please try a search.
    Alpha

  2. #22

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    This is what I do
    I will normally batch process my pictures using DPP (which will auto rotate the pictures automatically) into a more screen friendly format - lower rersolution like 300x300dpi 6x4 inch. The output will already be rotated and can be viewed (fast) using Windows viewer or transfer to digital frame/vcd/dvd
    Shahrul Esa

  3. #23

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    GIMP will do the job too.

    but it is more advanced, almost photoshop level, just freeware, and not so user friendly.
    thanks, will go and download the software tonight since it is freeware. you have been a great help.
    Last edited by rocketatw; 19th January 2010 at 11:32 AM.

  4. #24

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by shahrulesa View Post
    This is what I do
    I will normally batch process my pictures using DPP (which will auto rotate the pictures automatically) into a more screen friendly format - lower rersolution like 300x300dpi 6x4 inch. The output will already be rotated and can be viewed (fast) using Windows viewer or transfer to digital frame/vcd/dvd
    what is DPP? seems like a good idea.

  5. #25

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    thanks, will go and download the software tonight since it is freeware. you have been a great help.
    well, if you have trouble using gimp, you can google for stuff like

    "gimp how to add frame"

    "gimp how to resize" cheers. have fun.

  6. #26

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    what is DPP? seems like a good idea.
    Did you get any CDs when you purchase your cam? Did you take a look of the content??

  7. #27

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    well, if you have trouble using gimp, you can google for stuff like

    "gimp how to add frame"

    "gimp how to resize" cheers. have fun.
    you are such a nice and helpful person.

  8. #28

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    Did you get any CDs when you purchase your cam? Did you take a look of the content??
    yes, i got 2 or 3 CDs, all installed in my PC, but have not use it yet, guess it is time for me to explore the software given by canon. I think i still have alot to learn from bro here.

  9. #29

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    you are such a nice and helpful person.
    i think many people who got this picture from me will beg to differ:



    but a mature attitude deserves a good turn.

  10. #30

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    yes, i got 2 or 3 CDs, all installed in my PC, but have not use it yet, guess it is time for me to explore the software given by canon. I think i still have alot to learn from bro here.
    DPP = Digital Photo Professional

    It is one of the software in the CD

  11. #31

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by chalib View Post
    DPP = Digital Photo Professional

    It is one of the software in the CD
    thanks, i totally forgotten to utilised this software.

    since DPP will do the batch process, i really hope after the batch process, files on the target folder will be able to view vertically without rotating using the 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer'.

    Normally, i will take my memory card and put inside a card reader to transfer the files to my PC, which i think it will not process files which intended to be view vertically.

  12. #32
    Moderator ed9119's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    10,931
    Blog Entries
    26

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    I see 3 of CS's sharpest knives are very kindly today

    slow day at the office today for me.........

    Now to ADD to this discussion...... i read that when a JPEG image is rotated from landscape to portrait.... some image degradation occurs ? Is this true?

    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/dig...atequality.htm and other similar articles and comments when i googled
    Last edited by ed9119; 19th January 2010 at 12:01 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

  13. #33

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Create a batch actionscript in Photoshop to open and save over the photo again. The orientation of your photos should look right after that, and you don't have to rotate them one by one.

  14. #34

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    I see 3 of CS's sharpest knives are very kindly today

    slow day at the office today for me.........

    Now to ADD to this discussion...... i read that when a JPEG image is rotated from landscape to portrait.... some image degradation occurs ? Is this true?

    http://graphicssoft.about.com/cs/dig...atequality.htm and other similar articles and comments when i googled
    Maybe, but it's very negligible...

  15. #35

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    Bought this 500D recently, great pics, so far so good.
    Was trying to take pictures of a building vertically, but when i copy to PC and view on the screen, the buidling instead of standing, became lying on the ground, meaning it is not showing the vertical image, instead show the horizontal image. Hence, i have to tilt my head 45 degree to the left or right to view the pictures of the building.

    How to show the pictures vertically? There is 1 setting in the camera about this setting, i tried, but seems no different.
    As pointed out in earlier replies, you probably will be better off using a proper image processing software or EXIF-aware viewer.

    If you want to make the rotation permanent and independent of EXIF for use with certain software, there is a piece of software called jpeg lossless rotator. It is free and rotates images based on the orientation indicated in EXIF, losslessly.

    Do note that the rotation feature in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is very badly implemented and causes heavy damage to image quality.

  16. #36
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    903

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    I had been pissed by Microsoft for not able to even rotate an image properly... But another question is this an issue with camera on how to process their jpg file that can be correctly interpreted by various OS ? My point is, if an output from DPP can rotate the jpg correctly, why can't similar processing be done in camera instead ? This seems to be a common issues across multiple digital cameras, because my pict from Canon, Fujifilm & Panasonic is the same...

    Anyway, I am so frustrated with these issues that now I only shoot RAW, and batch process to smallest size jpg file (for sharing & viewing). I really quite like DPP workflow, but still struggling with Panasonic software.

  17. #37
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketatw View Post
    i read the statement (last 3 lines of page 134),

    it says if vertical image does not rotate on computer screen, the software used is not compatible with image rotation. Use the camera's provided sofware instead.

    I am using 'Windows Picture and Fax Viewer', you mean it is not compatible with image rotation?
    Windows Picture and Fax Viewer is the most lamest viewer software to use for viewing photos. design in the stone-age and meant for people don't know much about computer.

    use the image viewer programme come with your camera is good enough.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  18. #38

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Quote Originally Posted by chopper View Post
    I had been pissed by Microsoft for not able to even rotate an image properly... But another question is this an issue with camera on how to process their jpg file that can be correctly interpreted by various OS ? My point is, if an output from DPP can rotate the jpg correctly, why can't similar processing be done in camera instead ? This seems to be a common issues across multiple digital cameras, because my pict from Canon, Fujifilm & Panasonic is the same...

    Anyway, I am so frustrated with these issues that now I only shoot RAW, and batch process to smallest size jpg file (for sharing & viewing). I really quite like DPP workflow, but still struggling with Panasonic software.

    It seems like you did not read the entire thread posts

    TS is having problem when viewing with Windows software, not because the cam is unable to auto rotate the pics but it is window software that does not recognize the rotation

    Don't bring this discussion into a wrong direction

  19. #39
    Member dingaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Singapore | East
    Posts
    1,950

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    Hi,

    RTFM and install all the necessary software from the software CD that comes with the camera.

    I too own a 500D but all my pictures taken in vertical mode appears already rotated to the right orientation in DPP, yes, Digital Photo Professional software that comes with the camera. You can use this program to do Post Processing to a certain extent.

    Also, check the canon website for the updates to the various programs that came on the CD.

    Use the tools that came with your camera to fully utilize it.

    HTH.
    A picture a day keeps the blues away!

  20. #40

    Default Re: how to take vertical object and display on PC vertically.

    i can now view the pictures vertically using the windows viewer sofware after batch process the image using DPP. thanks everyone here for the help. Really appreciate it.

    Got 2 question,

    1)those files after batch processed using DPP and those files that i copy manually from memory card(without batch processed) any difference in IQ?

    2)Normally people after batch process, do they still keep those files that has not been processed in their computer? I ask this because i am not sure if anyone encounter error during batch process, so if delete the original(unprocessed files) and later after few days found the batch processed has error, or failed to batch process, then we can not recover the files back.
    Last edited by rocketatw; 20th January 2010 at 10:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •