Thread: Despondence

Default Despondence

Hi Everyone, I'm very new to DSLR photography and have started toying around with my first DSLR for one week.

Below is a picture taken at one of the slums in Manila of a Filipino boy who's stopping to rest his tired feet on the way home from school. I decided to snap this shot as I noticed that he was holding this pose for a few seconds and seems to be in deep thought.

This was snapped from a car moving at about 30-40kmh.

I appreciate all comments and advice on how I can improve on this picture.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Despondence

looks like he's nusing a sore/hurt foot

the composition given you shot from a moving car, can be improved to draw the viewer into the situation ...... consider stopping and doing a proper study and shoot in future ?
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

I reckon a vertical crop of the boy would make the photo more attention grabbing.

The subject does look deep in thought.

I think a little PP could possibly bring out the mood. Also, the subject is too sparse with respect to the entire frame. The background can be pretty cluttered too.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Blog Entries

just my personal preference....... whenever subject is smallish within an image's environment...... it/his/her placement is EXTREMELY important

Like this image in this other thread......... really didnt like the way the author pp'ed his image BUT the placement of the subject (IMHO) was an educated decision

THIS other thread

ed
    Last edited by ed9119; 20th January 2010 at 04:34 PM.
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    looks like he's nusing a sore/hurt foot

the composition given you shot from a moving car, can be improved to draw the viewer into the situation ...... consider stopping and doing a proper study and shoot in future ?
    Thanks for the critique. I was there for a business trip and have been warned by my distributor never to step into the slum area, especially with DSLR in hand! Even opening window to shoot was a no-no as there have been many cases of people who stuck cameras out to take a photo only to have it snatched from their hands!

Nevertheless, I will bear in mind your advice.

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    I think a little PP could possibly bring out the mood. Also, the subject is too sparse with respect to the entire frame. The background can be pretty cluttered too.
    Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what is PP?

Yes, I did try cropping the picture before posting it, but I personally found that the objects around him gave the meaning to the photo (however, I could be wrong and won't mind being corrected). I was trying to convey the boy's feeling of resignation and weariness, and perhaps reluctance of going home to sparse dwellings surrounded by destruction, dirt and clutter.

crop off 25-50% of the bare patch of ground might be good, convert to black and white because the dull, drab, yet cluttered surroundings do not add to the mood you are trying to achieve.

the boy's white shirt can help him stand out nicely in B&W, but watch out for the blown patch of sky in the trees..
    Last edited by elavan; 20th January 2010 at 11:48 PM.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    crop off 25-50% of the bare patch of ground might be good, convert to black and white because the dull, drab, yet cluttered surroundings do not add to the mood you are trying to achieve.

the boy's white shirt can help him stand out nicely in B&W, but watch out for the blown patch of sky in the trees..
    Appreciate your suggestions. How about this:

Quote Originally Posted by jonolau View Post
    Thanks. Pardon my ignorance, but what is PP?

Yes, I did try cropping the picture before posting it, but I personally found that the objects around him gave the meaning to the photo (however, I could be wrong and won't mind being corrected). I was trying to convey the boy's feeling of resignation and weariness, and perhaps reluctance of going home to sparse dwellings surrounded by destruction, dirt and clutter.
    Post-process I meant. Quite a million and one techniques out there but it is really up to the photographer to choose the one that best fits the mood. <: As for composition, I would think it is better if you could place the boy nearer the bottom right hand corner. Can forgot the bulk of the pile of wood behind him. Most of the time, a centre position isn't too flattering. ok, to put it simply, rule-of-thirds still works in most cases.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

A tight crop of the boy might work too..

add more weight to your BnW:

sorry i don't know how to display large size the more i look at the picture, the idea of despondence does not really go..a more convincing story might be "a long journey home from school" or something, by massaging his foot, he looks like he's tired from walking a distance
    Last edited by elavan; 21st January 2010 at 11:45 PM.
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery