Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23

Thread: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

  1. #1

    Default Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    I had been getting what they said as "missed call scams" spamming my personal mobile atleast 10times a day. It started giving me missed calls in the day time a few days ago, now its starting to call me even in the evenings!

    Each time my phone will ring for 5 seconds before that party hang up.

    Called Starhub and I felt that they are not treating my complain as genuine and advised me to lodge a police report FIRST before they are willing to even look into my case. She (the CSO) even said this is the first time she heard about such complains of Starhub users getting such scam calls.

    Here's the list of numbers that appeared on my phone. Some numbers are the same but this is how these numbers appear in my phone's caller ID when I get these miss calls.

    6703305061
    6703305062
    6703305063
    6703305064
    6703305065
    +1(670)330-5061
    +1(670)330-5062
    +1(670)330-5063
    +1(670)330-5064
    +1(670)330-5065
    16703305061
    16703305062
    16703305063
    16703305064
    +261200220562
    +881935211075
    +6281536658033
    +239280594
    +1672372260

  2. #2
    Member tainted's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    in Critterdom
    Posts
    459

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    you're not the only one.
    It seems that my colleague has been getting these calls too and its been irritating the hell out of him.
    He tried blocking the numbers and its worked somewhat, unless its another new number thats not blocked yet then his phone rings again, much to his annoyance.

  3. #3
    Senior Member yyD70S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,454

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Yeah...

    SPAMMING on mobile is getting from bad to worse. Do not attempt to call them back. That's your first line of defence.

    There's a relatively active website on this matter I thought I would like to share with everyone:

    http://www.whocallsme.com

  4. #4

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    I've managed to get some call filtering software to block out these calls. However, its like what you mention, new numbers has to be added manually to block future calls.

    Thanks for sharing the http://www.whocallsme.com website.

    Let's hope none of Csers blur blur call back to these calls while they are at overseas.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Canew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tampines
    Posts
    2,229

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Quote Originally Posted by Magix88 View Post
    6703305061
    6703305062
    6703305063
    6703305064
    6703305065
    +1(670)330-5061
    +1(670)330-5062
    +1(670)330-5063
    +1(670)330-5064
    +1(670)330-5065
    16703305061
    16703305062
    16703305063
    16703305064
    +261200220562
    +881935211075
    +6281536658033
    +239280594
    +1672372260
    The numbers don't look local. Wah! If we blindly call back, then we will be charged IDD rates?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    3,688

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Quote Originally Posted by Canew View Post
    The numbers don't look local. Wah! If we blindly call back, then we will be charged IDD rates?
    +1, does that mean they all come from the US? Or are they rerouted?

    HS

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Raffles Place
    Posts
    1,808

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Quote Originally Posted by Magix88 View Post
    I had been getting what they said as "missed call scams" spamming my personal mobile atleast 10times a day. It started giving me missed calls in the day time a few days ago, now its starting to call me even in the evenings!

    Each time my phone will ring for 5 seconds before that party hang up.

    Called Starhub and I felt that they are not treating my complain as genuine and advised me to lodge a police report FIRST before they are willing to even look into my case. She (the CSO) even said this is the first time she heard about such complains of Starhub users getting such scam calls.

    Here's the list of numbers that appeared on my phone. Some numbers are the same but this is how these numbers appear in my phone's caller ID when I get these miss calls.

    6703305061
    6703305062
    6703305063
    6703305064
    6703305065
    +1(670)330-5061
    +1(670)330-5062
    +1(670)330-5063
    +1(670)330-5064
    +1(670)330-5065
    16703305061
    16703305062
    16703305063
    16703305064
    +261200220562
    +881935211075
    +6281536658033
    +239280594
    +1672372260
    ... all their operators are from mainland china ! the moment i heard that accent.. i press the red button

  8. #8
    Senior Member dennisc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Freezing Upp Thomson/Mandai!
    Posts
    2,010

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    The ()^*$()^$ caller ends with 6703305062 and 6703305065 keeps calling me too, esp if one is @ overseas, it's really annoying to have it ringing at all hours. Moreso when one's spending some private moment.

    I got annoyed and typed the phone # on yahoo, well hello hello, link takes me to CS

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Got one today

  10. #10

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    caller is from East Timor (670) received those calls from the past few days. still receiving now.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    The number of calls to my phone has reduced significantly today. Received a total of 3 calls instead of the usual 10 or more miss calls a day. Hopefully this is a result of the Telcos taking action to block these calls.

    If you are a victim of these "miss call scams" and it so happen that you are overseas using "smartroam" (i.e. pay as you roam instead of the usual autoroaming service), you are in for a surprise bill at the end of the month. our Telco's smartroam service start charging you from the moment your phone RINGS, regardless of whether the call is picked up by you. And usually these smartroam service charged you on blocks of 1 minute each time. Not forgetting you will be charged by the host country operator for smart roaming and our local telco. Imagine if you have 10 of such miss calls per day while you are overseas and is using the smartroam service.... sit on a couch before you read your next mobile phone bill please....

  12. #12

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    will our local telco's charge us extra due to the prank calls?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Quote Originally Posted by junlei View Post
    will our local telco's charge us extra due to the prank calls?
    If you reject or you're not on overseas, no.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Dry cabinet!
    Posts
    1,757

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Quote Originally Posted by Magix88 View Post
    The number of calls to my phone has reduced significantly today. Received a total of 3 calls instead of the usual 10 or more miss calls a day. Hopefully this is a result of the Telcos taking action to block these calls.

    If you are a victim of these "miss call scams" and it so happen that you are overseas using "smartroam" (i.e. pay as you roam instead of the usual autoroaming service), you are in for a surprise bill at the end of the month. our Telco's smartroam service start charging you from the moment your phone RINGS, regardless of whether the call is picked up by you. And usually these smartroam service charged you on blocks of 1 minute each time. Not forgetting you will be charged by the host country operator for smart roaming and our local telco. Imagine if you have 10 of such miss calls per day while you are overseas and is using the smartroam service.... sit on a couch before you read your next mobile phone bill please....
    Is this really true? Cos I am with Singtel pay-as-you-roam and I recall that I am not billed for calls I did not answer when I am overseas.
    Dreaming... 14mm f2.8, 16-35 f2.8 mkII, 85 f1.2 mkII

  15. #15

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    I also receive such calls for the past 2 days and today.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Actually, what's the purpose of these calls?

  17. #17

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    This applies to M1 Smartroam users. Singtel I am not sure. I was a M1 user and was charged for many unanswered or missed calls when I was using M1 Smartroam. This clause of M1 charging smartroam users the moment the phone start ringing is in M1 website.

    Quote Originally Posted by gryphon View Post
    Is this really true? Cos I am with Singtel pay-as-you-roam and I recall that I am not billed for calls I did not answer when I am overseas.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    The purpose of these calls are to make innocent receivers of these missed calls to call back. These calls are usually routed to a premium service (usually porn services). Once your call back gets thru, you will be billed and charged by the seconds of minutes depending on how expensive these premium service lines charged. The scammers will then get a fraction of these call charge you incurred.

    Quote Originally Posted by sabee View Post
    Actually, what's the purpose of these calls?

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    163

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    Here's the report on ST regarding nuisance calls: http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_480659.html

  20. #20
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: Beware of scam calls with numbers from +670xxxxxxx

    I don't bother to answer these overseas numbers UNLESS it's someone I know.
    If not, I just click on the "silence" button and heck care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •