Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just another newbie question.

Default Just another newbie question.

im currently looking for a DSLR and is looking at D90. but isit true that canon have more lens available as compared to nikon?

Default Re: Just another newbie question.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnies View Post
    im currently looking for a DSLR and is looking at D90. but isit true that canon have more lens available as compared to nikon?
    whatever Nikon has, Canon will have. Whatever Canon have, Nikon will have and thats just the 2 of them.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

and are you going to buy the whole lot of canon lens?.

There is more to DSLR than nikon and canon btw.

Pentax,sony etc produces very good cameras too.
    Last edited by Fireemblem; 18th January 2010 at 11:06 PM.

One thing that you should take note of when purchasing a Nikon Lens/ Camera is that some Nikkor lenses will not autofocus on nikon cameras such as the D60 and D40 I dunno about the D3000. Anyway, If you are going Nikon, you might want to do some more research first as the lens selection is more confusing than Canon's. Also, All EF Lenses sold by canon are useable on their DSLR series.

Welcome to CS!

What are you main areas of photographic interest(s)?

Once you've narrowed it down, you will get an idea of what sort of lenses you need, and from there, the choice is easier to make as regards the lenses from the two marques. Unless you have specific technical needs, it's sometimes easier to make choices based on what lenses one might need.

Quote Originally Posted by joeltan111 View Post
    One thing that you should take note of when purchasing a Nikon Lens/ Camera is that some Nikkor lenses will not autofocus on nikon cameras such as the D60 and D40 I dunno about the D3000. Anyway, If you are going Nikon, you might want to do some more research first as the lens selection is more confusing than Canon's. Also, All EF Lenses sold by canon are useable on their DSLR series.
    AF and AF-S only wat... very confusing meh?

Canon also confusing... they had FD mount lenses, which can't even be mounted onto an EOS body.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    AF and AF-S only wat... very confusing meh?

Canon also confusing... they had FD mount lenses, which can't even be mounted onto an EOS body.
    Can lah...via adapter lor...then same as mounting AF lens on D5000...hehe

Not to mention Nikon Lenses tend to be more expansive than canon~

Quote Originally Posted by osocan View Post
    Can lah...via adapter lor...then same as mounting AF lens on D5000...hehe
    The ones offering good quality are terribly expensive and very hard to find, and also everything is manual focus, and NOT AF.

It might be good to offer more complete information especially in a newbie enquiry thread.

Therein lies a strong point of the EOS system that's virtually non-existent with the Nikon system - you can use virtually any brand's lenses via adapters as long as one is comfortable with focusing manually. However, that's a fairly esoteric avenue and best left for discussion some other time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    The ones offering good quality are terribly expensive and very hard to find, and also everything is manual focus, and NOT AF.

It might be good to offer more complete information especially in a newbie enquiry thread.

Therein lies a strong point of the EOS system that's virtually non-existent with the Nikon system - you can use virtually any brand's lenses via adapters as long as one is comfortable with focusing manually. However, that's a fairly esoteric avenue and best left for discussion some other time.
    Yeah...I hear you...that was just a "naughty" comment from me. And if the comment was read as a whole, it should have conveyed the message that FD lenses on EOS body via adapter is no different from AF lenses on Dx000 body. Perhaps my English has let me down

Agree with you that the versatility of the EOS body is best left to another thread. Cheers

to reduce confusion about lens mount, try choosing Sony for alpha mount or Pentax for k-mount . Those two could support legacy lenses without any hassles of installing an adapter.
    I dunno!!!
    It's banana-zero-neh. :)

Quote Originally Posted by osocan View Post
    Yeah...I hear you...that was just a "naughty" comment from me. And if the comment was read as a whole, it should have conveyed the message that FD lenses on EOS body via adapter is no different from AF lenses on Dx000 body. Perhaps my English has let me down

Agree with you that the versatility of the EOS body is best left to another thread. Cheers
    No worries.

But a newbie might get confused.

Peace.

sama sama

and both of them enjoy the same third party pool!

You should buy a DSLR based on your feel for it, not on which have more range of lens available. But i will prefer Canon though. =x HA..

Quote Originally Posted by joeltan111 View Post
    That is only half the information and will confuse the TS.
    Nikon bodies that do not have on-camera drive motor use AF-I and AF-S lenses only. You can always check the camera information on the menu or website.
    http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...patibility.htm

Nikon AF lenses are for bodies that have a drive motor. (D90, D300, D700)

Canon also has FD and EF lenses. FD not being usable on the new DSLRs.

TS, all camera brands have a complete and comprehensive range of lenses that support normal use. Very often, the problem is how much you can afford to spend on the lenses

wwhoa... abit overwhelming for a newbie like me.. but thanks for those advices senior.

wwhoa... abit overwhelming for a newbie like me.. but thanks for those advices senior.
    Ha..ha.. then got alternative approach.

Just jump!

There is really no bad system. Just that some brands/systems may give a bit more value for money. So anyway you jump it will be fine. Do try out the camera and various brands 1st.

If u more or less fixed on D90, have u try shooting w/ it before..?
    Dun worry about the Nikon lens choice, its current lens arsenal can cope w/ all ur kind photography interest if u have the moolah..

If you like Nikon, just get the D90. It's a very capable camera and handles quite nicely.

The D3 series even better if you have the budget!

But dio bear i mind what system your friends are using. If you are close, and use the same system, can share lenses mah.

Maybe some pointers which i have picked up over the years.

1. Buying a DSLR is unlike buying a normal camera... You are buying a System. What do i mean? read on.
    2.A system means you have to look at things like Lense, Flashes, wireless options, upgradability and range of items out there.
    3. Nikon and Canon has always been the big guns of camera due to their heavy advertisements and huge range of items.
    4. There are other accessories which you may want to look at like tripods, dry cabinet... especially in singapore...
    5. Cost is a concern if this is a hobby that you are starting out new.
    6. Do remember that a DSLR is alot heavier... especially with more and more gears...
    7. Nikon has by far the best on camera flash system... i think no one can argue with that. But Canon higher end cameras has better FPS... don't forget other smaller companies which makes very good cameras too and their prices are very competitive. So pick your poison.

the main plus of a DSLR is usually the Frames per second and the flexibility of the ext flash.. and of course the bigger sensors which gives huge files... which you may or may not like depending on your computer setup.

A D90 imo is a good deal as it is a pretty decent camera and you can take some short videos with it. However, if you are new to photography, i would recommend you to hold the horses a little and do a little more research before hopping onto the band wagon and later find out that its not something which you really want to put time into...

Remember, its always the person behind the camera that makes the difference... enjoy taking picture!
    P&S: Sony U20, Pana-leica FZ5, Canon S90, Pana DMC-T3
    SLR: Nikkor F60, Oly E-510, Oly E-5

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast