Thread: manual slr

Default manual slr

Hi all,

i've been shooting on dslr for a few years and would like to try out shooting on 35mm film. I currently considering a nikon body as i can still get new lenses for it like 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 (correct me if i'm wrong).

A few questions:
    -what budget should i aim for? would arnd $150 for body be enough? i'm only shooting for fun
    -which shops specialize in 2nd SLR bodies?
    -can current nikon flashes (sb-800) be used on a manual nikon body?
    -what should i look out for when purchasing an old SLR? (scratches? dents?)

thx in advance and my apologies if i posted in the wrong section
    Olympus e330 + 25mm pancake + 14-54mm

Default Re: manual slr

Hi lunchtime,

you can check out all kind of working condition Nikon SLR camera at the shop called "The Camera Workshop" in Peninsula Shopping Centres #01-27/31.

Best of regards.
    "There are no mistakes, only lessons. Growth is a process of trials and errors."

Quote Originally Posted by lunchtime View Post
    Hi all,

i've been shooting on dslr for a few years and would like to try out shooting on 35mm film. I currently considering a nikon body as i can still get new lenses for it like 50mm 1.8, 85mm 1.8 (correct me if i'm wrong).

A few questions:
    -what budget should i aim for? would arnd $150 for body be enough? i'm only shooting for fun
    -which shops specialize in 2nd SLR bodies?
    -can current nikon flashes (sb-800) be used on a manual nikon body?
    -what should i look out for when purchasing an old SLR? (scratches? dents?)

thx in advance and my apologies if i posted in the wrong section
    Budget? Only you can tell... But getting a F90, F2M would be quite different. If you get a more recent model, you should still be able to match it with SB-800 and most of the lenses. A older film camera may only be compatible with certain lenses such as those with aperture rings.

Which shops? Look around, there are plenty of shops but the pricing can differ quite a bit. Do your homework first.

Look for a smooth shutter release, the curtain should be moving smoothly, the prism should be clear, focusing screen, etc..
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Peninsula is a good place to start. Apart from Camera Workshop, there are several 2nd hand camera shops there and across the street (Peninsula Plaza, I think).

You might also want to check out the Buy & Sell thread in CS.

What to look for? Good body condition, shutter, interior (where the film is placed) -- check light sealing & if the film guide rails and overall condition, film transport mechanism, lens coupling (not just the mount, but if the stop-down and aperture levers are working properly).

Caveat emptor. A money-back guarantee (in writing) is probably a good idea -- it's hard to test a film SLR properly without running a roll of film through it. Things like light leaks are hard to spot just from a visual inspection.

hi,

thx all for ur replies

i guess would head down to tcw and surrounding shops soon i'm thinking of the nikon fa/fm2 or maybe the fm10. any opinions on these bodies? i saw an fa for sale at riceball in funan

i'm also been looking at rangefinders as well but the price seems pretty forbidding ... 800+ for brand new bodies? the yashica electro looks okay but i believe it uses an unavailable battery and has no manual mode...
    Olympus e330 + 25mm pancake + 14-54mm

check out national geographic photographers and outdoor photographers magazine, most of them shoot film. Are we being duped into digital? Compare fuji velvia 50 with digital print, digital prints will fall flat! shoot fuji velvia 50, scan into the highest resolution with maximum jpeg file size and BANG, you got 25megapixel equivalent.

What high dynamic range?FORGET ABOUT IT!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fa.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fefm.htm

if you are serious, get an F6, it has perfect exposure meter even with slides, blows every digital canon and nikon away.

A fully (or almost) mechanical Nikon would be nice ...

Quote Originally Posted by abimanyuboentaran View Post
    check out national geographic photographers and outdoor photographers magazine, most of them shoot film. Are we being duped into digital? Compare fuji velvia 50 with digital print, digital prints will fall flat! shoot fuji velvia 50, scan into the highest resolution with maximum jpeg file size and BANG, you got 25megapixel equivalent.

What high dynamic range?FORGET ABOUT IT!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fa.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/fefm.htm

if you are serious, get an F6, it has perfect exposure meter even with slides, blows every digital canon and nikon away.
    What bullcrap are you talking about? Ken Rockwell is a douche. He doesn't know crap about shooting good photographs. All he talks about is equipment. And judging from what you said,you probably haven't even met or talked to any Nat Geo photographers, so don't go about saying bull crap like they all shoot film, because they don't.
    Last edited by krishna91; 19th January 2010 at 03:30 AM.
    I refuse to List my camer@ equipment here.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    What bullcrap are you talking about? Ken Rockwell is a douche. He doesn't know crap about shooting good photographs. All he talks about is equipment. And judging from what you said,you probably haven't even met or talked to any Nat Geo photographers, so don't go about saying bull crap like they all shoot film, because they don't.
    That guy has been deregistered.

Quote Originally Posted by krishna91 View Post
    Actually KR knows crap about cameras too. I had a short email discussion with him 8 years or so back after I let him know of a BS statement he'd made. There's one other legend in his own lunchtime and that's Phil(thy) Greenspun whom at least has enough humility to not censor the often brutal corrections to his online espousals of $hite unlike KR.
    The Ang Moh from Hell
    Professional Photography - many are called, few are chosen!