Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: langkawi trip

  1. #1

    Smile langkawi trip



    Hi folks, I'm planning a trip to langkawi. I have a few questions for your advice:

    1. Accomodation - quality with value for money, near seaside, convenient.
    2. Car rental - pick up from airport, airport transfer to hotel.
    3. Places of interest for phototaking.

    Thanks alot.

  2. #2

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    IMHO 3 days 2 night is almost ok already, not much special place there...Unless you can just stay at the 'not so attractive beach (of Langkawi main island)' for whole morning / afternoon, then maybe 4 days.

    Should be better to rent a car. Price should not be more then RM100 per day. Should able get from airport.

    Accommodation I have no experienced on a lot of choice, I stayed in the one near Airport (Angsana or what start with A... forgot) Just don't stay at Kuah (the town) will do.

    But for photo shooting, a few listed.
    1. Go island hoping. A half day tour should enough. The concept something like Phuket's island hoping, but just less attractive compare to the former. Go the "Pulau Dayang Bunting" where there is a special lake (http://www.langkawi-beaches.com/langkawi-islands.html)
    2. The cable car. Must go
    3. When driving to the cable car place, you will pass a 'port' that got a lot of small yacht, something like Sentosa's cove. It's called "Telaga Harbour Park" (http://www.langkawi-info.com/pantai-kok/where-to-go.htm)
    4. Mahsuri's Tomb (Mausoleum). Not very special place, but while on your way, you might found there is a few paddy field with beautiful background worth photo taking.

    Check out the web link given.

  3. #3

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by Shen siung View Post
    IMHO 3 days 2 night is almost ok already, not much special place there...Unless you can just stay at the 'not so attractive beach (of Langkawi main island)' for whole morning / afternoon, then maybe 4 days.

    Should be better to rent a car. Price should not be more then RM100 per day. Should able get from airport.

    Accommodation I have no experienced on a lot of choice, I stayed in the one near Airport (Angsana or what start with A... forgot) Just don't stay at Kuah (the town) will do.

    But for photo shooting, a few listed.
    1. Go island hoping. A half day tour should enough. The concept something like Phuket's island hoping, but just less attractive compare to the former. Go the "Pulau Dayang Bunting" where there is a special lake (http://www.langkawi-beaches.com/langkawi-islands.html)
    2. The cable car. Must go
    3. When driving to the cable car place, you will pass a 'port' that got a lot of small yacht, something like Sentosa's cove. It's called "Telaga Harbour Park" (http://www.langkawi-info.com/pantai-kok/where-to-go.htm)
    4. Mahsuri's Tomb (Mausoleum). Not very special place, but while on your way, you might found there is a few paddy field with beautiful background worth photo taking.

    Check out the web link given.
    Hi friend, thanks so much for sharing. Is there any reasons to avoid staying in kuah?

  4. #4

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by arrowtown View Post
    Hi friend, thanks so much for sharing. Is there any reasons to avoid staying in kuah?
    most of the attractions, other than food, are far away from kuah... in kuah there used to be this "small kingdom" where everything is miniaturized... and there is this eagle statue near the sea port that you might want to take.

    renting a car near the sea port instead of the air port is cheaper. my last time there got a proton wira for rm200 for 3d2n...

    some of the tourist attractions include pantai hitam aka black sand beach where the sands are somehow black. newly built cable car, and if you are driving, remember to drive up a small mountain (i forgot the name of it but it's the only one there) to get panoramic views of the island.

    lastly if you are not a budget traveller, you can try out pelangi beach resort and spa but price is damn high! alternatively you can try awana porto malai where it's directly beside the waters. within the compound there is this dock for star cruise de, and walk further on to get damn nice view of the waters and scenery...

    hope this helps!

  5. #5

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Hi there,

    If time is not a constraint, may I suggest visiting Koh Lipe (Thailand) from Langkawi; you could spend a night or two on the island. Anyway, it is a [really] small island that is 45-minutes away from Langkawi (speedboat), with a gorgeous beach that definitely beats Langkawi's beaches hands-down.

    cheers!

  6. #6

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by reallycheaptalk View Post
    Hi there,

    If time is not a constraint, may I suggest visiting Koh Lipe (Thailand) from Langkawi; you could spend a night or two on the island. Anyway, it is a [really] small island that is 45-minutes away from Langkawi (speedboat), with a gorgeous beach that definitely beats Langkawi's beaches hands-down.

    cheers!
    Hey friend, thanks for this info. This is my 1st time visiting Langkawi, and my last visit to Msia was almost 15 years ago. Any photos to share?

  7. #7

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    renting a car near the sea port instead of the air port is cheaper. my last time there got a proton wira for rm200 for 3d2n...

    Agree on this. Last time I arrive from sea port. But would that be troublesome to go from airport to sea port then rent car there? Most of them need to return the car there...


    Quote Originally Posted by arrowtown View Post
    Hey friend, thanks for this info. This is my 1st time visiting Langkawi, and my last visit to Msia was almost 15 years ago. Any photos to share?
    Yes the Kuah got not much thing there. No need stay there. Stay at beach will do.
    How long you plan to go there?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Yew Tee
    Posts
    114

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Remember to bring your driving license. I forgot to bring my license and that really spoil my trip.
    CANON 7D, 70-200 F4 IS L, 17-40 F4 L, 100 F2.8 Macro, 50 F1.8, TAMRON 28-75 F2.8, 580EX

  9. #9

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by arrowtown View Post
    Hey friend, thanks for this info. This is my 1st time visiting Langkawi, and my last visit to Msia was almost 15 years ago. Any photos to share?
    Hey, I have a few snapshots, hope it's okay to be posting them in here.


    This was taken from atop Gunung Raya. Rented scooters and made our way up there, it got a little cold at times on the journey up, so I guess driving a car would be a better choice. There's not much up there once you reach the top though, only a hotel and its watch-tower, where you have to pay RM10 to get an unblocked view. Probably can stop for a drink or two too.


    Langkawi Marina/Harbour; where you will be taking a boat to Koh Lipe from, if you're heading there.


    Sky Bridge, you've got to take a cable car ride up and take a flight of long steps to reach the bridge.


    On the beach of one of the islands near Koh Lipe, taken while island hopping. The waters here are much clearer than what you get at Langkawi itself.



    Yup, that's about it. Sorry I don't have any pictures of the Langkawi beaches; you can PM me if you need more details, I'll be glad to help!

  10. #10

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    For the cable car, if you want some 'mystical' feeling, you can go in morning, usually it will be foggy and quite 'interesting' , but definitely you can't or hard to get goo d photos. Also the sky bridge will be close when poor weather (foggy).

  11. #11
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: langkawi trip

    I was in Langkawi for LIMA 2009.

    Talked with the cabby driver and he also mentioned not to stay in Kuah town as it is the civil servant area, therefore most shop closes after office hours.

    He mentioned to stay at Pantai Cenang area as there are many shops and closes late.

    If you're going back to Singapore and taking the first flight from Langkawi, come to the airport after 0700 hrs as it only opens at that time.

    HTH.

  12. #12

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by xtemujin View Post
    Talked with the cabby driver and he also mentioned not to stay in Kuah town as it is the civil servant area, therefore most shop closes after office hours.
    Hmm... coincidental. I was in Langkawi for LIMA too last December. We asked the cab driver to take us to Kuah Town as we know it was the main city on the island. He shot us a glance and asked why we would want to go there - and recommeneded Pantai Cenang as well.

    It's a long street full of vibes and life - from eateris (the Thai restaurant at the end of the street is good), to beaches and water sports, to DFS shopping - right till late at night. Subsequently, we still went over to Kuah Town the following day - true enough, it's a sleepy town that somehow lost its vibrancy compared to Pantai Cenang.

    Some other places to visit include the Mt Machincang, where you need to take a cable car (RM30) to reach the top, and the Geopark Hotel is located at the foot of the mountain. You can polish off the island in about 3 days. Anything more may be a drag!
    from guitars, cars to dslr...

  13. #13
    Senior Member xtemujin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Singapura, Singapore
    Posts
    2,778

    Arrow Re: langkawi trip

    Yeah, I guess the cabbies were telling the truth.

    Great place to be at the LIMA 2009.

    Cheers.

    Quote Originally Posted by Six-GHz View Post
    Hmm... coincidental. I was in Langkawi for LIMA too last December. We asked the cab driver to take us to Kuah Town as we know it was the main city on the island. He shot us a glance and asked why we would want to go there - and recommeneded Pantai Cenang as well.

    It's a long street full of vibes and life - from eateris (the Thai restaurant at the end of the street is good), to beaches and water sports, to DFS shopping - right till late at night. Subsequently, we still went over to Kuah Town the following day - true enough, it's a sleepy town that somehow lost its vibrancy compared to Pantai Cenang.

    Some other places to visit include the Mt Machincang, where you need to take a cable car (RM30) to reach the top, and the Geopark Hotel is located at the foot of the mountain. You can polish off the island in about 3 days. Anything more may be a drag!

  14. #14

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    cool.. TS glad that you enjoyed your trip...

  15. #15

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    TS you said that you rented a scooter to go up gunung raya? they allow car licenses to rent and a scooter?

    on top of gunung raya is a hotel now? cool...

  16. #16

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    Quote Originally Posted by evilorgi View Post
    TS you said that you rented a scooter to go up gunung raya? they allow car licenses to rent and a scooter?

    on top of gunung raya is a hotel now? cool...
    i think it depends from place to place; we rented two bikes with just one bike license.

  17. #17

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    IMOH the best place for sunset scene in Langkawi is Tanjung Rhu near the Four Seasons Resort beach. which is the north area of the island. quite far from town.

    The beach is clean and not much people compare to other place. There some rocks near the beach make night scene of sunset, and when during sunset time, one road path will appear on the beach which you can walk near to those rocks.
    Four Seasons Resort is pretty expensive. I saw only Japanese and ang moh live there.

  18. #18

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    For Langkawi, get car if you can, leave the bike and bicycle to those ang moh.
    The weather is hot and dusty over there, some cars drive pretty fast over there, and road is narrow and dark at night. I think is safer stay in a car.

    Don't ever get those illegal car rental, now days can police road block at most main road, when you meet them, you waste more $$$ ( you know what I mean)

  19. #19
    Member harnamsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Singapore / Melbourne
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: langkawi trip

    When is a good time to visit Langkawi? Do they have monsoon or rainy seasons there? Also what charges do you have to spend to visit Koh Lipe and what places are there to visit or see other than the beach? I like the idea of touring a location that has both sky-bridge and mountain-top view then a pristine beach like Krabi all viewable within a few days.
    Currently based in Melbourne / No longer living in Singapore

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •