Thread: Newbie help .

Default Newbie help .

1. How do i take pictures that are CLOUDY ?

2. How do i take pictures with DARK EDGES ?

3. The following are nice pictures , how is that achieved ?
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wUr6mvzBjm...0/IMG_2462.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wUr6mvzBjm...0/IMG_2454.jpg

4. How do i enable 'copyright' in my pictures , say if im using D90 ?

Default Re: Newbie help .

Quote Originally Posted by loozhengyuan View Post
    1. How do i take pictures that are CLOUDY ?
    Wait for a cloudy sky? Not very hard in Singapore. In general, you need to watch for the right weather and also learn how to meter. Basic knowledge of exposure is required. There is a Newbies Guide, take your time to read and understand.
    2. How do i take pictures with DARK EDGES ?
    Please read up about vignetting. Either it's a 'feature' of the lens (mechanical vignetting, optical vignetting) or it is inserted during post-processing.
    Post-processing, e.g. Photoshop. There are many ways to achieve this. Best to read up some tutorials online or check NLB for books about post-processing.
    4. How do i enable 'copyright' in my pictures , say if im using D90 ?
    Search the forum for 'watermark', it's not a feature of your camera. Some cameras offer the insertion of your name into EXIF data, but that's not a real copyright notice. Other programs (Lightroom) can do the same upon importing the images.
    EOS

Actually there's not even a need to any post-processing. It just looks like spot metering was used, thus underexposing a lot of the pictures, and that's the output.

The second picture is easy when the plane is high up and there are no high-altitude clouds, and the plane is travelling on the higher/lower latitudes (far from the equator). The sky really is that dark.
    Alpha

Ok , thanks for answering . But i wanna clarify that CLOUDY pictures means a picture which has a blur (or cloud) overlay .

Ok , thanks for answering . But i wanna clarify that CLOUDY pictures means a picture which has a blur (or cloud) overlay .
    Oh. Then get your terminology right.

You can use what is called a soft focus filter, or apply it in post processing.
    Alpha

i think there is a reason why im posting in a newbie section .

but all of these really clear my doubts , thanks guys .
    Last edited by loozhengyuan; 16th January 2010 at 05:58 PM.

If you mean to have certain parts of the image blur and other parts in focus, you need to shoot at a large aperture (small f-number like f2.8) and a long focal length (a large mm, means 'zoom in' alot).

Quote Originally Posted by lenscrazy View Post
    If you mean to have certain parts of the image blur and other parts in focus, you need to shoot at a large aperture (small f-number like f2.8) and a long focal length (a large mm, means 'zoom in' alot).
    That doesn't seem to be what he is asking.

Then again, his description is a bit unclear, so it just might be. Who can tell?
    Alpha

i think there is a reason why im posting in a newbie section .
    but all of these really clear my doubts , thanks guys .
    It is newbies section, indeed. But we are not mind-readers (luckily, who knows...) so what we need for a good help is a good description of your intention or idea. As you can see, there are now interpretations of 'cloudy' here - which one fits your idea? Review your descriptions and I'm sure we can give you some hints how to achieve your idea.
    EOS