Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: The prisoner

  1. #1

    Default The prisoner

    I read an article about animal conservation and animals in captivity. I always have the impression that zoos are doing a good job in promoting love for wildlife and protection of endangered species until I read this article. Animals in captivity are actually not themselves... just imagine when one is put behind the bars, even if it is for protection.

    I thought this picture brings out the feeling of despair and loneliness of animals in captivity. I hope this picture could serve as a reminder for mankind that what we think is good does not always translate into the same terms for other lives in this planet.

    I like to seek comments for a few things:
    - If the mood of the picture brings out the feeling as described above
    - The composition as impactful to bring out the theme
    - Whether the post processing work of reducing colour saturation is appropriate

    Many thanks in advance for your comments.

    Last edited by knoxknocks; 16th January 2010 at 05:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Member jonolau's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    89

    Default Re: The prisoner

    I'm not an expert, but I can try and comment on the spirit of the photo: This picture definitely portrays a strong feeling of despair and hopelessness.

    The focus seems to be on the eyes which is the exact thing that invokes the mood.

    I also like how you managed to capture it with one of its paws reaching beyond the bars. It's as if the animal has tried countless times to get out and has given up all hope.

    Nice!

  3. #3

    Default Re: The prisoner

    maybe you might consider this in black and white with more pop to bring out your mood.

    it is not a bad picture, but without your writeup, i would have to take quite a while to decipher what is going on here.

  4. #4

    Default Re: The prisoner

    nice! i got the feeling of the photo immediate after seeing it maybe the composition is a bit tight? thats about all i can comment.. nice shot!
    Check out my blog: pixelogist.me

  5. #5

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Many thanks for the comments. This is the black and white version of the picture. I agree that it brings out the mood better.
    Last edited by photobugg; 17th January 2010 at 09:28 PM.

  6. #6

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by photobugg View Post
    Many thanks for the comments. This is the black and white version of the picture. I agree that it brings out the mood better.
    your link is not showing.

    link for you.


  7. #7

    Default Re: The prisoner

    nice. i like. the expression says it all. i like the original color as it is almost monotonic with a sepia touch.

  8. #8

    Default Re: The prisoner

    ts, your black and white conversion needs a bit more work.

    i played with it a bit, this was what i was visualising when i suggested the bnw conversion.



    let me know if you want me to remove it.

  9. #9

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ts, your black and white conversion needs a bit more work.

    i played with it a bit, this was what i was visualising when i suggested the bnw conversion.



    let me know if you want me to remove it.

    ya this give a stronger feeling. Nice photo taken.

  10. #10

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    ts, your black and white conversion needs a bit more work.

    i played with it a bit, this was what i was visualising when i suggested the bnw conversion.



    let me know if you want me to remove it.
    This looks nicer. Mind to share what did u do with it? I was wondering why an "x" came out when I posted... How do I linked that properly?
    Last edited by photobugg; 18th January 2010 at 09:48 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by photobugg View Post
    This looks nicer. Mind to share what did u do with it? I was wondering why an "x" came out when I posted... How do I linked that properly?
    open up the gallery page

    you need the IMAGE link, not the page link.


    this thread will help you, read it:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94574

    i upped the contrast, dodged the face a bit, so that it still could be seen, and converted it to duotone. quite a number of steps taken, along with final cropping. a lot of layering work done.

    bnw conversion, if one wants to do the best of jobs, can take a long time. i can't really go into detail not because i'm not willing to share, but because i can't remember what i did, but i can remember what i wanted to remedy:

    1) face too much in shadow - dodge tool in the midtone range, along with shadow recovery

    2) fur on the right too bright, too much attention, some amount of dodging, once again in midtone range, along with multiply layers. took this further with vignetting applied to all corners save the top left, else the face would be darkened.

    3) pure black and white doesn't seem to give the feel required, so conversion to duotone.

  12. #12

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    open up the gallery page

    you need the IMAGE link, not the page link.


    this thread will help you, read it:
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94574

    i upped the contrast, dodged the face a bit, so that it still could be seen, and converted it to duotone. quite a number of steps taken, along with final cropping. a lot of layering work done.

    bnw conversion, if one wants to do the best of jobs, can take a long time. i can't really go into detail not because i'm not willing to share, but because i can't remember what i did, but i can remember what i wanted to remedy:

    1) face too much in shadow - dodge tool in the midtone range, along with shadow recovery

    2) fur on the right too bright, too much attention, some amount of dodging, once again in midtone range, along with multiply layers. took this further with vignetting applied to all corners save the top left, else the face would be darkened.

    3) pure black and white doesn't seem to give the feel required, so conversion to duotone.
    Thanks man!

  13. #13

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Good.

    I like it very much!

    Rare to see such shot!

  14. #14

    Default Re: The prisoner

    i wished there were some highlights at least around the face area, that would look nicer when brought up in post, instead of the bright patch now at the body, which caught my attention first..

    nonetheless i like the idea and compo wish u better luck next time..
    D3|Tokina 28-70 f2.6-2.8|Samyang 14mm f2.8|K-7|Tamron17-50 f2.8|manfrotto190XproB
    Gallery

  15. #15

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    i wished there were some highlights at least around the face area, that would look nicer when brought up in post, instead of the bright patch now at the body, which caught my attention first..

    nonetheless i like the idea and compo wish u better luck next time..
    Yeah, when I looked at the picture on my computer I thought so too. The face is too dark else the expression would bring a stronger impact.

  16. #16

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Quote Originally Posted by elavan View Post
    i wished there were some highlights at least around the face area, that would look nicer when brought up in post, instead of the bright patch now at the body, which caught my attention first..

    nonetheless i like the idea and compo wish u better luck next time..
    I think it looks great without highlighting. Only when you set your focus at the pic would you be able to see the expression.

  17. #17

    Default Re: The prisoner

    Many thanks for the comments everyone.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •