Thread: discharge battery completely before recharge?

Default discharge battery completely before recharge?

Hi! all. I'm using a Nikon D5000. Is it necessary to completely discharge the battery before recharging or is it ok to charge it if i have only 1 bar left.

Default Re: discharge battery completely before recharge?

Quote Originally Posted by wolvie77 View Post
    Hi! all. I'm using a Nikon D5000. Is it necessary to completely discharge the battery before recharging or is it ok to charge it if i have only 1 bar left.
    Is it stated so in your manual? Charge when the battery is low, store in well-charged condition. If you try to discharge the battery manually you will destroy it.
    EOS

charge it when it is low, meaning you've got 1 bar left. so it's ok to charge at that point. not necessarily till the camera blinks indicating low battery. hope it helps.

cheers
    papajanggo33
    Fun in photography is inFinity
    My Flickr

I believe Li-on batteries do not have memory effect, so there shouldn't be a problem charging it even if it isn't completely 'drained'.

it's not neccessary, in fact not advisable to let the battery discharge fully.

As someone else has already mentioned before me, you should not let it discharge fully. Its best to recharge whenever you can, and when keeping it in storage, you should have at least a 3/4 charge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Timolol View Post
    I believe Li-on batteries do not have memory effect, so there shouldn't be a problem charging it even if it isn't completely 'drained'.
    That's correct.

In fact, completely letting your battery drain will potentially make the voltage go lower than the threshold and may not allow you to charge the battery again.

I think that there's a safety catch level, the camera won't fire when its showing 1 bar or left with little power in it, in other words, you can't shoot till the battery goes flat. This is a built in safety device. Please correct me if I'm wrong
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    I think that there's a safety catch level, the camera won't fire when its showing 1 bar or left with little power in it, in other words, you can't shoot till the battery goes flat. This is a built in safety device. Please correct me if I'm wrong
    True. That's why never store batteries when empty, always leave about half-charge when storing (e.g. for 3 months).

Do a search on maintaining li-on batts.

From what I've heard, they have very specific charge/discharge/storage charge requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    It's correct in certain aspects. However, the battery has a self discharge and the internal resistance keeps growing. When this discharges the battery below the threshold, the protection circuit will disable the charging circuity to prevent any mishap.

PS: Most of the reconditioned LiIon batteries just have this circuit fixed or charged with a surge which brings back the circuit / battery alive.

some light reference reading on the subject ...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

I always just charge it when I need it. 3 years on, still no major issues yet.