Thread: Collection of new cars

Default Collection of new cars

Hi ppl,

after the collection of new cars, what do you ppl do to protect the paintwork ?

do u immediately wax it? if so then , what wax to use for new car so that the paintwork is protected?

Or is there any commericial service to add a protective coat on new paint work?

please advice..

thks.

song

Quote Originally Posted by song
    Hi ppl,

after the collection of new cars, what do you ppl do to protect the paintwork ?

do u immediately wax it? if so then , what wax to use for new car so that the paintwork is protected?

Or is there any commericial service to add a protective coat on new paint work?

please advice..

thks.

song
    Congrats on your new vehicle. I hope you checked it out from bumper to bumper like we advised you to. Buttons de-virginized and all. Hehe.
    Anyway. Zymol is a good product, pricey but of good quality. If not, then get Meguiars. Paste wax will last way longer than liquid wax. Being a new car, there won't be much contaminants in the paint, since the dealer should have removed whatever was on the car during PDI. Car would have come with a protective white sheet during shipping too.

I'd suggest that you do two things at this point in time:

a) Wash your car with some dishwashing detergent. Dishwashing detergent will remove any and all wax that was previously applied on the vehicle prior.

b) After washing your car with above, make sure it's damn dry and apply a good coat of wax panel by panel. I have seen numerous people apply the whole car at once and remove later. Trust me. You'll have to do double work that way, 'cause you'll SURELY miss a spot or two. Find a good Sunday morning to do this, and make sure you're in the shade. Hot wax on a car won't remove any leg hair. HAHAHAHA! I know...that was corny. You want nice even coats, that aren't too thick, nor should they be paper thin. Generous amount, but don't overdo it ok. Otherwise you'll be spending the entire day trying to remove the stuff.

Repeat this process once every 3months, or when you feel that the car body is no longer as smooth and buttery. Keep this practise, and the shine will last you for a long time. Car washes in between this process can be done with regular car wash liquid, which only removes wax slowly if the proper application was followed prior. Only use a car polish when you have scratches, or when you have stuff to remove. A bit of polish and a good rub will do it. Better yet, get a claybar and clay the whole car if you have the time. Claybars remove all the grime that you don't see, and those that you do.

The possiblities are endless, and you won't mind the elbow grease when you see the end result. Good luck.

Default Re: Collection of new cars

That sure sounds like good advice on new car waxing.
    That's right, strip whatever wax was used before your collection, and apply your own quality choice wax.

By the way, does anybody know where do you normally collect your new car; at the showroom or at the port storage facility? My new car is due collection this week, and I was told to collect from their port storage area? It's a Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 manual, under Champion Motors. I find this highly irregular.

Much appreciate if someone can advice.

congratulations on your new purchase.

From my own experience, the first thing to do is to start using the car whenver it is "necessary". Do not be a slave to the car. Usually after 4 years you would want to change and no matter how good the condition of your car, you are not going to sell at a much higher price....
    always the Light, .... always.

You guys realise the thread was started in Feb 2004?

Quote Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
    You guys realise the thread was started in Feb 2004?
    haha .....
    blame that Oldflower!
    always the Light, .... always.

Quote Originally Posted by OldFlower View Post
    That sure sounds like good advice on new car waxing.
    That's right, strip whatever wax was used before your collection, and apply your own quality choice wax.

By the way, does anybody know where do you normally collect your new car; at the showroom or at the port storage facility? My new car is due collection this week, and I was told to collect from their port storage area? It's a Suzuki Swift Sport 1.6 manual, under Champion Motors. I find this highly irregular.

Much appreciate if someone can advice.
    I collected mine at west cost ya the dock. I met the salesman at the showroom and he drove me there. It was inconvenient for me since I wasn't familiar with that area so end up the salesman has to lead the way after I collected the car to somewhere near my place.

Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    congratulations on your new purchase.

From my own experience, the first thing to do is to start using the car whenver it is "necessary". Do not be a slave to the car. Usually after 4 years you would want to change and no matter how good the condition of your car, you are not going to sell at a much higher price....
    agree. car = tool. i don't bother washing / polishing / greasing my tools anyway so the most I do with my car is to wax it (liquid) or was it in a lazy sunday afternoon, keeping it clean so I have peace when wife rides in my car :P