Thread: Camera advice

Default Camera advice

Hi,

I need some advices from the forum.

I am moving to work in Sydney for 2 years on a company project and I sold off my Canon body recently as I was looking at the Canon 7D or 5D Mk2.

1) I am thinking if I should go ahead to purchase the body in Singapore before heading to Sydney or should I wait and go over to Sydney to purchase it. I am not sure if I can get tax exemptions when I get it in Sydney since I am holding a Singaporean passport but working in Australia with a work visa for a short time basis project.

2) What are the best places to get good prices for Camera bodies ?

3) Taking this opportunity to do a survey within the forum, given an option to get a Canon 7D (crop sensor) or a Canon 5D Mk2 (FF sensor), which body is best suited to use in Australia, eg considering the climate, scenary to take, life span, most popular choice etc..

Thank you.

Default Re: Camera advice

Quote Originally Posted by joeman View Post
    Hi,

I need some advices from the forum.

I am moving to work in Sydney for 2 years on a company project and I sold off my Canon body recently as I was looking at the Canon 7D or 5D Mk2.

1) I am thinking if I should go ahead to purchase the body in Singapore before heading to Sydney or should I wait and go over to Sydney to purchase it. I am not sure if I can get tax exemptions when I get it in Sydney since I am holding a Singaporean passport but working in Australia with a work visa for a short time basis project.

2) What are the best places to get good prices for Camera bodies ?

3) Taking this opportunity to do a survey within the forum, given an option to get a Canon 7D (crop sensor) or a Canon 5D Mk2 (FF sensor), which body is best suited to use in Australia, eg considering the climate, scenary to take, life span, most popular choice etc..

Thank you.
    Australia...if you want to go everywhere, i recommend going for a 1D series instead if your preference is Canon.

Currently A$ and SG$ is around same if i remember correctly so depending what you are looking for, not really much difference buying here other then the warranty issues.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Interesting question being posed.

I am wondering too if we claim back GST if we were to stay there for a few months and used the item and get back GST from it...
    Last edited by FM2; 14th January 2010 at 07:16 PM.

Then the more you should shop at the DFS either at changi airport or in aussie.

Quote Originally Posted by calvinklein View Post
    Then the more you should shop at the DFS either at changi airport or in aussie.
    Goodness no. You'll pay far too much.
    Alpha

Just found out that if u have a PR, you are not entitled to GST claim in that country.

If you have a temp visa to work over there, you can claim GST.

Citizen, PR, work permit holder & student visa not eligible for GST refund at Changi airport
    I think Singapore price is better than OZ, so you might want to start to compare especially OZ online shop with SG local shop