View Poll Results: I would sign up for...

Voters
269. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bahasa Indonesian

80 29.74%
  • Dutch

8 2.97%
  • French

57 21.19%
  • German

30 11.15%
  • Italian

13 4.83%
  • Japanese

137 50.93%
  • Korean

28 10.41%
  • Spanish

27 10.04%
  • Thai

40 14.87%
  • Vietnamese

17 6.32%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The most useful foreign language to pick up in S'pore is...

You're all wrong, the correct answer is VULGAR.

bahasa indon. seems to be in demand after japanese. must be because of all those indon maids in singapore.

How come don't have English in the list?

English is the language of the foreigners.

I think the most useful "foreign" language to pick up is Visual C++ or C#...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

Singlish! the most unique English ever.

wow lao.

u all very di eng arrr....

pick up a 1 yrs 5 mth old thread for what...

how about the C - language?

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Yup. I totally agree with you about that part of language being lost if not used frequently.
    That's why Malay is the most practical thing to learn. In my opinion. We're surrounded by Muslim countries... And when you haggle at night markets in Malaysia, you're gonna get a better price if you use Malay..
    surrounded by Muslim countries ? what it has got to do with Malay language ?
    and, last time I check, Indonesia is not a Muslim country. A country with largest Muslim population, it is, but a Muslim country ? nope..

Quote Originally Posted by amirfarhan
    bahasa indon. seems to be in demand after japanese. must be because of all those indon maids in singapore.
    nope, not because of the indon maids... but because of rich Indonesians who see singapore as 'weekend getaway', since there are many cheap flights from Jakarta..

I think Singapore is now big and powerful enough that the rest of the world has to learn Singlish instead of us learning their languages.

We should be like Japan. If you don't speak Japanese in a Japanese restaurant in Japan, you won't get served.

Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    I think the most useful "foreign" language to pick up is Visual C++ or C#...
    yah, C & C++

Whatever language the next foreign babe you wanna hit on? :P

I like Dutch and French, but no throat got problem, can't pronounce French well.
    Dutch is simplest to learn if you desire to learn 3rd language.

Which school teaches Spanish?

Quote Originally Posted by Poledra
    Yup. I totally agree with you about that part of language being lost if not used frequently.
    That's why Malay is the most practical thing to learn. In my opinion. We're surrounded by Muslim countries... And when you haggle at night markets in Malaysia, you're gonna get a better price if you use Malay..
    Actually I dun understand ... what has being muslim got to do with malay and vice versa? not all malays are muslims and not all muslims are malays. it is just that the majority of the malays here in this region are muslims.

fact is, malay cannot be categorised as a foreign language as it is the language in this region. Lest anyone here forget, malay is the national language of singapore (if i recall correctly).

Speak good English!

Off the shoulder of Orion, near the Tannhauser gate

Quote Originally Posted by jsbn
    Hmm... Malay would hardly qualify as a 'foreign language' since its our National Language.
    I also think it's a little insulting to qualify Malay as a foreign language, since it was spoken on these shores long before the colonials showed up...

English is very popular as it has the most countries that can speak English, and thus is the most influential language in the world.

2nd would be French, with the 2nd most countries that speak french, and in certain cases, the next most commonly used language in the business world. Just look at all the various product name that we have been buying. A lot are actually in french. Just look at cosmetic for example. And there are many more.

The 3rd most influential language should be Spanish, but in our case, I would think Mandarin should be more influential. Just going by the total number of people that speak mandarin is staggering. About 1/5th of the world population speak mandarin (most of them in China). Total number of English speaking people are only half of that. And China is a huge market waiting to be tapped.

So for most Singaporean Chinese, if we are all effectively bilingual with English and our mother tongue, then I would say that learning to speak French makes more sense. Of course there are always other factors that learning other kind of language would be better. Example if a person had a lot of dealings with our close neighbours, then learning to speak Malay would make more sense. And if any who wish to tap into the growing Middle East market, then learning Arabic would be better.

The most funny thing is that Singapore has 4 official languages, but how many of us can actually speak all 4?? If we can't even speak all of our official languages, why are we bothering with the rest?? Very contradicting isn't it.
    Canon 80D|Panasonic LX3/LX5
    35f2 IS|50f1.8|85f1.8|12-24f4|18-135f4-5.6 IS|28-75f2.8

hmmm..... wonder which country idol is hot with girls now..... Learn the language of that country is certainly useful....

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    English is very popular as it has the most countries that can speak English, and thus is the most influential language in the world.
    Particularly due to the British Empire's dominance in the 19th century. Yes, English it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kelccm
    The most funny thing is that Singapore has 4 official languages, but how many of us can actually speak all 4?? If we can't even speak all of our official languages, why are we bothering with the rest?? Very contradicting isn't it.
    While Malay, Tamil and Chinese shares the official language status, how many laws are enacted in a language none other than English? Of course, that is to reflect the structure of the society; we are a multi-racial society of a similar history. Do our ancestors not struggled together for the homeland we endorse so dearly today?

I had never considered Chinese as my mother tongue, particulary due to the fact I grew up with lots of non-Chinese. I am considering English as my primary language, though it seemed for now, my family speaks only English.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast