Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 73

Thread: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

  1. #41

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    stuff dun revolve around students mate.

    take a look back at the trends. moe changes and reviews its policies every 5 years, based on the the needs of the economies.

    back then wasnt it the hype of engineering?
    and then 5 years later it became bio tech?
    and now 15 years already and its billingualism to push into china.

    i would dare say that the ministry doesnt view education as, education, but rather the creation of workers to work for the society. everything is preplanned, ur already being directed to a certain route. now consider this: assuming ur not good at engeenering, yet the trend still pushes u towards that, do u think u have the ability to cope with the stress level? (:

    nightmare, u may be strong, but that doesnt mean others are. u may feel successful, but look around. there are still thinks yet to be seen. dun be to much of a hurry to brush off other's opinions. u may feel ur mature, but ur biased (:
    It would be a short sighted government who doesn't plan the education based on needs of the economy.

    Still, there are options beyond that, which perhaps due to the fact that you are stuck in a single school for six years if i'm not wrong, ( with a presumably fixed policy and thrust) does not allow you to be exposed to at the moment.

    There are different emphasis at different times, i agree, but many people have also taken different paths, it is not as rigid as you made it out to be.

  2. #42

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    just because i made a previous thread that doesnt mean i cant view things objectively. ~~
    here's some facts.

    the thread is about:

    Quote Originally Posted by wheresmycheese View Post
    A NTU student by the name of Cheryl Tan committed suicide by jumping from her flat at Ang Mo Kio yesterday.
    somehow, this really reeks of objectivity:

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    (: u do realise how flawed singapore's education system is right?

    as far as i can tell, the ministry's priority is to "build a new batch of leaders" so as to go china and work.

    our minstry has based their policies on the changes to the economy. education is education. if u gonna try tilt it for econmical benifits, u end up with stuff like this.

    as far as i know. we dun have any scientists who propose scientific theories in the realm of physics taht is singaporean. our education system just doesnt allow it.

  3. #43

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post

    There are different emphasis at different times, i agree, but many people have also taken different paths, it is not as rigid as you made it out to be.
    this is funny,

    here is a profile of someone that's important today:

    Born in 195X, XXX studied at YYY and ZZZ, gaining a first-class degree in mathematics and a masters degree in public administration.

    according to him, the thrust was what again? engineering, biowhat? and china?

    where did mathematics come into the equation?

  4. #44
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Farrer Park
    Posts
    989

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Pressure is something you place on yourself.

    If you're willing to accept that you've put it effort and that's the result, then so be it.
    tSkye shoots whatever comes tSkye's way... | 5D2, 1224, 16FE, 35L, 1.4xTC, 300L

  5. #45

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    another profile:

    In 1967, he was awarded XXX Scholarship to study Naval Architecture at the University of XXX.

  6. #46
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,658
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    but there is a difference between acting like you know everything, when you don't; and knowing that this is the case.
    well. at least i'm going here with a learning attitude. i'm willing to learn. yet ur the real one who is acting like u know everything. the tone of ur words, in general has given the impression i'm a whiny kid while ur the mature one, and yet, u do not back up ur words with any facts, nor figures, and u base it only on ur sole opinions. i at the very least judge the policies by how reasonable they are, how acheivable, yet u have done nothing except to argue for the sake of arguing. if u wanna make a comment, back it with logic, instead of simply blaming me for whining.

    at the very least i'm backed by logic. u arent.

  7. #47
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,658
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    this is funny,

    here is a profile of someone that's important today:

    Born in 195X, XXX studied at YYY and ZZZ, gaining a first-class degree in mathematics and a masters degree in public administration.

    according to him, the thrust was what again? engineering, biowhat? and china?

    where did mathematics come into the equation?
    and yet the CURRENT trend is to simply apply rules, which basically cut u out from taking a 4h2.

    there is a big difference. last time they had a choice to make their own decisions, to do what they want. and now it is forced.

    i hope u see the difference. if u think it isnt then i think i got nothing else to say to u liao.

  8. #48

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well. at least i'm going here with a learning attitude. i'm willing to learn. yet ur the real one who is acting like u know everything. the tone of ur words, in general has given the impression i'm a whiny kid while ur the mature one, and yet, u do not back up ur words with any facts, nor figures, and u base it only on ur sole opinions. i at the very least judge the policies by how reasonable they are, how acheivable, yet u have done nothing except to argue for the sake of arguing. if u wanna make a comment, back it with logic, instead of simply blaming me for whining.

    at the very least i'm backed by logic. u arent.
    claiming that the moon is purple in colour, doesn't make it so.

    present your logic to me. so far i have seen:

    1) claims about bilingualism and china (unjustified)
    2) questions about my origins (i came from the moon)
    3) claims about education as a means to produce a supply of workers (oh, so what else is it for?)
    4) interesting claims about people getting PUSHED into choosing what they do in university (we just need to look around NUS, NTU and SMU to know that this is not the case)
    5) repetitions about your wretched school and the monstrous principal (oh, not again!)
    6) predictions of a next big push in 2015 (and i'm the one acting like i know everything, despite not making such big claims)


    so. please look at the last few posts you have made. where is the logic?

    next, where is the learning attitude? there is nothing to teach you, you are ready to be the next education minister, since you seem to know what he's going to do.

    p.s. note that i summarised all your, i don't know, 7 posts? into 6 lines.

  9. #49

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and yet the CURRENT trend is to simply apply rules, which basically cut u out from taking a 4h2.

    there is a big difference. last time they had a choice to make their own decisions, to do what they want. and now it is forced.

    i hope u see the difference. if u think it isnt then i think i got nothing else to say to u liao.
    Without going into the specifics of JC, which can be itself be varied. Do note that there is life beyond JC. Universities with its range of degrees and your poly peers with its range of diplomas.

    You are fixated with argument along JC, which is I understand since its your environment, but JC is not start all and end all in our lives.
    Last edited by ahbian; 15th January 2010 at 11:07 AM.

  10. #50

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and yet the CURRENT trend is to simply apply rules, which basically cut u out from taking a 4h2.

    there is a big difference. last time they had a choice to make their own decisions, to do what they want. and now it is forced.

    i hope u see the difference. if u think it isnt then i think i got nothing else to say to u liao.
    please see last post, your post is summarised and answered there too.

    you seem to have done nothing but repeat.. point 5!

    and point 5 is about, let's see, your last thread!

  11. #51
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,658
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    ~~ cause werent u saying something abt... oh wait. students being able to have choices? and they dun have to follow and hence no stress from moe? =.=

    okkies. i decided to stop commenting already. i doubt this would help make things better.

    if i had offended u in any way, or acted immaturely, i apologize . that would be an error on my part.

    thank you for your insight. i learnt a lot.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 15th January 2010 at 11:05 AM.

  12. #52

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Its always sad when we hear of such tragedies. But please ... show the deceased some decent respect. Nobody knows exactly why she chose to end her life, there is no point trying to find someone or something to bear the blame.

    I too lost a friend and a very long time ago a relative from suicide.

    And in both cases it was stemming from depression that went totally out of control. How it evolved that way is beyond my understanding, but its beyond belief when I look back at the personality my friend had.

    He was a confident person, physically in his prime. Went through the rigours of SAF's elite forces training without too much of a struggle. Very affable, lot's of friends around him. But he was quiet and reticent at times as he was essentially a very private person. And we all respected that.

    But who would have expected he chose to end his life by jumping off a block near his home one day ? Apparently he was suffering from depression and it spiraled out of control. To the point he lost control of his will to live. Its not something which one should ever scoff at, its an illness that requires help both psychiatric and medicinal. As in how or where this depression arose from, there were various versions from different friends of his. But nobody had a definitive answer.

    Likewise for this lady, we should cease the speculation and hope that may she find peace.

  13. #53
    Member Foxshade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    In cat's stomach
    Posts
    851

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by KangS View Post
    ....
    Likewise for this lady, we should cease the speculation and hope that may she find peace.
    I second that.

    R.I.P. Cheryl.

    Some suicide cases (at least two, which I am quite close with) the reasons of their suicide could be very elusive.

    It has been 20+ years and if I were to ask the closest people to those deceased now, they still don't understand why they had chosen to end their lives.

    Let's not speculate.
    A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words.
    ~Ansel Adams

  14. #54

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    May she rest in peace.

    What's the deal with NTU??

    I had a happy-go-lucky friend who went to NTU engineering (where as I went to NUS), and realize this guy was vomiting on the morning of exams from sheer panic attacks!?!?!

    After graduating, with top honors no less, he opted to work for an NGO organization instead.

  15. #55

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    May she rest in peace.

    What's the deal with NTU??

    I had a happy-go-lucky friend who went to NTU engineering (where as I went to NUS), and realize this guy was vomiting on the morning of exams from sheer panic attacks!?!?!

    After graduating, with top honors no less, he opted to work for an NGO organization instead.
    NTU engineering is more stressful than NUS.

  16. #56

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ~~ cause werent u saying something abt... oh wait. students being able to have choices? and they dun have to follow and hence no stress from moe? =.=

    okkies. i decided to stop commenting already. i doubt this would help make things better.

    if i had offended u in any way, or acted immaturely, i apologize . that would be an error on my part.

    thank you for your insight. i learnt a lot.
    wow I'm amazed you can be so humble after dealing with the nightmare that prowls the back alleys of kopitiam...waiting to textually rape unsuspecting posters

  17. #57

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by mattlock View Post
    wow I'm amazed you can be so humble after dealing with the nightmare that prowls the back alleys of kopitiam...waiting to textually rape unsuspecting posters

  18. #58

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by UandMe View Post
    NTU engineering is more stressful than NUS.
    NTU was the place where I learned, what I totally dislike for my life.

  19. #59

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    Quote Originally Posted by xhui View Post
    To lose your parents, you lose history. To lose your children, you lose your future. That's the reason for it being so tough. (not saying losing your parents are easy la).
    Concur on your commend. You must have history then you have future.
    Canon EOS 500D |EF-S 18-55mm IS | EFS 55-250mm f/4-5,6 IS

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Sicily, Mediterranean Sea
    Posts
    1,796

    Default Re: Cheryl NTU students jumps from her flat

    My gf knows cheryl and mention she was a brilliant writer. its sad really that stress levels are taking their toll. I hope NTU does something about it than keep wanting to 'boost' their rankings!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •