Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Would you correct someone's grammar or answer his photography question?

Default Re: Would you correct someone's grammar or answer his photography question?

Why correct someone if I speak pro England myself?

Default Re: Would you correct someone's grammar or answer his photography question?

huh?
    what's pro england?
    Exploring! :)

"Wisdom is attained by learning when to hold one's tongue."
    Last edited by Sion; 5th February 2010 at 01:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    huh?
    what's pro england?
    Ha! I knew you wouldn't understand me! It means I don't speak English. I'm a pro in speaking England

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Unless you're trying to teach your child

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I am poor in my English! So how to correct?
    You can do it by bringing everybody's English to your level then your English is the same standard as everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonsiao View Post
    if you see someone posting a question in the forum in bad grammar, would you blast him about his command of the language even though you understand what he is trying to explain?
    愚者不問,問者不愚.

As long as the context is correct and clear I think we should be more forgiving.... I remembered posting a thread for reviews on certain lens.

Someone replied and said "The xxxxxx was a good lens......"

So I replied "What is a good lens then..... " without realising that he meant it is a good lens....

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Halp halp...............the cat got me tongue..........mmeeeoowwwwwwwwww
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Burnings View Post
    As long as the context is correct and clear I think we should be more forgiving.... I remembered posting a thread for reviews on certain lens.

Someone replied and said "The xxxxxx was a good lens......"

So I replied "What is a good lens then..... " without realising that he meant it is a good lens....
    I guess TS' original question is a bit misleading...
    The thread title says "would you correct someone...."
    but his first post said something to the effect of blasting someone for their poor grammar.

I take 'correct' to be some form of gentle reminder, whilst 'blast' would be some form of sarcastic/insulting tone, eg. "didn't you learn english in school?"

To be "forgiving" in this case would be to accept one's limited command of the English language. But I don't see the harm in correcting him/her, provided it is not done rudely.

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    I would classify "kopitiam" as a Singlish word. It has significance to our Singaporean lifestyle.
    To use the word 'kopitiam' in a sentence is totally appropriate.

The Singlish vs Bad English debate:

"I went to the kopitiam at the ground floor of my block, for a cup of kopi" would be ok.

"I go my block downstairs kopitiam to get a kopi", though essentially having the same meaning, would be grammatically wrong.
    Actually, I think there is a bit of a terminological issue here: "Singlish" refers to the colloquial form of local English, what may also be called Colloquial Singapore English (CSE), as opposed to Standard Singapore English (SSE), which is the standard form of English as it is used in Singapore (see Platt & Weber, 1980).

So what was mentioned in the first instance,

"I went to the kopitiam at the ground floor of my block, for a cup of kopi"

is actually an utterance in SSE rather than Singlish (CSE). In this vein, "kopitiam" (and indeed the word "kopi" as well) would be a borrowed word from Hokkien, and incorporated into the available vocabulary of SSE. And following that,

"I go my block downstairs kopitiam to get a kopi"

is actually a well-formed utterance in Singlish (CSE). What I mean by "well-formed" is that it follows the proper grammatical patterns of Singlish and would be accepted by users of Singlish as an acceptable construction. An unacceptable construction in a similar vein could be

* "downstair block kopitiam go I kopi take"

Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    Actually, I think there is a bit of a terminological issue here: "Singlish" refers to the colloquial form of local English, what may also be called Colloquial Singapore English (CSE), as opposed to Standard Singapore English (SSE), which is the standard form of English as it is used in Singapore (see Platt & Weber, 1980).

So what was mentioned in the first instance,

"I went to the kopitiam at the ground floor of my block, for a cup of kopi"

is actually an utterance in SSE rather than Singlish (CSE). In this vein, "kopitiam" (and indeed the word "kopi" as well) would be a borrowed word from Hokkien, and incorporated into the available vocabulary of SSE. And following that,

"I go my block downstairs kopitiam to get a kopi"

is actually a well-formed utterance in Singlish (CSE). What I mean by "well-formed" is that it follows the proper grammatical patterns of Singlish and would be accepted by users of Singlish as an acceptable construction. An unacceptable construction in a similar vein could be

* "downstair block kopitiam go I kopi take"
    I didn't know there was a classification called CSE.
    To me, I would classify Singlish as a localised form of Standard English. By localised, I mean the inclusion of specifically local words like 'kiasu', 'kopitiam', etc, but still retaining standard English sentence structure.
    "I go my block downstairs kopitiam to get a kopi", to me, is bad english. It's pretty much a literal translation from hokkien/mandarin sentence structure.

i've never seen/heard anyone go "downstair block kopitiam go I kopi take".

Singlish should still be understood by a standard English speaker. At most you'll be queried on what 'kopitiam' means...

this is an interesting article on singapore colloquial english

I stand corrected on my definition of "Singlish".... hehehehe...
    http://www.postcolonialweb.org/singa.../features.html

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234