Thread: Servicing camera at Nikon Service Centre

Default Servicing camera at Nikon Service Centre

Hi guys

recently i found a fine hair-like dust when i look into my viewfinder. initially, i thought it was the lens or filter problem. but having switch to another lens and filters that hair-like thingy is still there.. anyone knows wat could be the problem?

i've thought of sending to the nikon sc since its still under warranty. i went to the nikon website and checked, and i saw this clause stating tat "cleaning and maintenance is not covered by warranty"..
    im now wondering if my case if considered cleaning of camera? so the service is chargeable?

Default Re: Servicing camera at Nikon Service Centre

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon79 View Post
    Hi guys

recently i found a fine hair-like dust when i look into my viewfinder. initially, i thought it was the lens or filter problem. but having switch to another lens and filters that hair-like thingy is still there.. anyone knows wat could be the problem?

i've thought of sending to the nikon sc since its still under warranty. i went to the nikon website and checked, and i saw this clause stating tat "cleaning and maintenance is not covered by warranty"..
    im now wondering if my case if considered cleaning of camera? so the service is chargeable?
    u got look at the mirror and also clean the senor? (provided your cam got the senor cleaning function lah)

las time i kenna b4. in the end it's the mirror tht's dirty
    Last edited by redname; 13th January 2010 at 09:13 AM.

If you can see the dust through the viewfinder then it's not on your sensor (think about it).

Just give your mirror box a quick clean and see if the problem disappears; don't forget the focusing screen on top. That really should solve the problem, and no you can't possibly expect them to cover it under warranty as changing lenses exposes the mirror box to the elements.

Quote Originally Posted by Nikon79 View Post
    Hi guys

If this is a brand new camera perhaps you can argue it came from the factory so Nikon might be responsible for it. Now that you have use the camera and with our environment that is full of dust and all, it is going to cost you to clean the camera.

Having said that, the dust is not going to cause problem on image quality so I would suggest that you look beyond the fine dust inside the viewfinder and try to look at the objects inside the viewfinder and take lots of pictures. After taking 1000 more photos with the fine dust in the viewfinder, you will not notice it is there anymore.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-105L | 35L | 85L II | 135L | Samyang 14mm 2.8

thanks guys..
    i just call NSC and they told me it cost a whopping 100 before Gst just to clean tat!!
    however, they suggested wat u guys asked me to do to clean the mirror and i did tat
    and now its gone.. thanks all