Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast

Thread: DFA 100 WR Macro Handson Review

Default Re: DFA 100 WR Macro Handson Review

Managed to find a pic to check how it looks like when extended. Don't quite like the design. Had always a preference for IF or minimum extension.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

I try to not click this post for several days, to avoid being poisoned, but I failed eventually, because this post just keep popping up.

You guys are bad, very bad.

With this new WR macro, you can actually take water droplets during the rain.

Will be a good experience, so buy, buy buy....

otc

Quote Originally Posted by banana0ne View Post
    eselite, I think you already have the virus too.
    I think it's called buliding up your arsenal.
    Charlie Tan loves his SMC 大姑妈
    deviantART | flickr

Quote Originally Posted by scorpioh View Post
    Managed to find a pic to check how it looks like when extended. Don't quite like the design. Had always a preference for IF or minimum extension.
    Every Pentax macro lenses that I have owned had lens barrels that extended as the magnification increases. That is required to increase the distance between the lens and the sensor. There are a few macro lenses that boast internal focusing but what happens is that as these IF lenses focus by moving the inner lens group or groups only, to compensate for the lack of physical extension of the lens barrel, the focal length becomes much shorter as the magnification increases. Not a desirable feature for a macro lens as the magnification and focal length would vary at different focusing distances.

Quote Originally Posted by creampuff View Post
    Every Pentax macro lenses that I have owned had lens barrels that extended as the magnification increases. That is required to increase the distance between the lens and the sensor. There are a few macro lenses that boast internal focusing but what happens is that as these IF lenses focus by moving the inner lens group or groups only, to compensate for the lack of physical extension of the lens barrel, the focal length becomes much shorter as the magnification increases. Not a desirable feature for a macro lens as the magnification and focal length would vary at different focusing distances.
    Yup. Very true. I think you have pointed out something quite important which not many here realize initially. I've also noticed the focal length variation at different focusing distances during my comparisons.

So what lenses have you been comparing?

Ah. I was thinking of my comments last night and I thought, hey, the FA77, the DA35 and even the voigt 125 extend quite a fair bit at close focus! But why didn't I pick on them. If you were to look at the extended DFA WR, the extended barrel is really quite a fair bit narrower compared to the main barrel diameter which gives a filmsy feel (may or may not be true). But that's just me.
    I say the lens is the soul of a camera. What about the body? Well, it's just the body...

Ah. I was thinking of my comments last night and I thought, hey, the FA77, the DA35 and even the voigt 125 extend quite a fair bit at close focus! But why didn't I pick on them. If you were to look at the extended DFA WR, the extended barrel is really quite a fair bit narrower compared to the main barrel diameter which gives a filmsy feel (may or may not be true). But that's just me.
    I would suggest you actually get an actual hands-on of the lens before making pre-judgments on the basis of photographs of the lens. It certainly felt solid in my hands, and the feel of the focusing ring is even better than the FA and DA Limiteds that I have.

With the hood on, you can't even see the extended barrel:

Somehow the proportion of the extended barrel looks odd with respect to the main barrel. But that's just me as I had said. Not faulting the lens or trying to affect anybody's buying intend.

Somehow the proportion of the extended barrel looks odd with respect to the main barrel. But that's just me as I had said. Not faulting the lens or trying to affect anybody's buying intend.
    Aiyah, this feeling is because you haven't spent time to play, play long macro lens. Can shoot bugs, can shoot product, can shoot people, can shoot street. Get one and your opinion will change...

Aiyah, this feeling is because you haven't spent time to play, play long macro lens. Can shoot bugs, can shoot product, can shoot people, can shoot street. Get one and your opinion will change...
    True. A 100mm macro is a pretty versatile lens. <:

Got about an hour walking around Ben's place while my daughter was having swiming class there, shot these two fellow when they were doing their business. Pity the wind was strong, and the flash spoiled their moment, so I only got one shot:

Thank you for such a great review.
    When will this baby arrive in the market?
    How much will the price be?

Quote Originally Posted by dogbear1980 View Post
    Thank you for such a great review.
    When will this baby arrive in the market?
    How much will the price be?
    Thanks

I don't know when the lens will be here in SG, but probably very soon. Price should be cheaper than you need to pay from the US

Two more flies from the weekend:

A bit closer look of the second fly:

Frank, those pictures are so sharp! The DOF is so thin only the eyes are in focused, was it hard to get the right auto focus?

Still, not a lover of insects myself... eeyer haha.

those are some sick shots! in more ways then 1..

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post

A bit closer look of the second fly:

Nice shots fengwei.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456710 ... LastLast