Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 69101112 LastLast

Thread: DFA 100 WR Macro Handson Review

Default Re: DFA 100 WR Macro Handson Review

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    Yup, thanks to our K7's 14.6mp sensor Look at the DOF, it's already very thin after cropping. If it's shot at full size like this, you need to stop down the lens to F22 to get this kind of DOF.

1:1 macro is already not too easy. I tried macro lens stack w/ ext tube, to be honest, it's not so much fun w/ that kind of shallow DOF, you are gonna sweat a lot to get some keepers
    i guess i'm one of those that wants to learn the hard way instead of accepting the wisdom of the guru without question.

just eager to try out tubes first to find out just how difficult it is its the fun of learning by doing.

want to try filling up the whole frame with the subject instead of cropping

I took out my new lens for a spin this morning in Hortpark, and it has really very narrow DOF, and difficult to manage with hands. Not easy to get clear pictures. I am glad to see some of your photos, which seems so different from mine. Pictures are soft. Also using auto-focus is not easy on macro; so I shifted to manual, which is more manageable. Tell me how you are using this lens? I love it for its portraits, and only now I am starting to work on its macro feature, after seeing some of your beautiful postings.
    __________________________________________________ _
    http://living-a-good-life.blogspot.com

whose picture? FW's? or Mine? shouldn't be mine cos i'm also struggling with the shallow DOF and lighting

but u are spot on... easier to MF for macro.

At Hortpark today; DOF very shallow to play with...Focus shifts very fast, as hands moved only slightly

Based on your EXIF data, pix were taken at between F4 and F4.5.

use a higher F number to get deeper DOF. i usually go for either F8 or F11 and above.

Quote Originally Posted by detritus View Post
    Based on your EXIF data, pix were taken at between F4 and F4.5.

use a higher F number to get deeper DOF. i usually go for either F8 or F11 and above.
    How do you see the EXIF from the image? Another learning for me!

Quote Originally Posted by VanGogh53 View Post
    How do you see the EXIF from the image? Another learning for me!
    many different ways

download Photome

Quote Originally Posted by otc View Post
    Another way of getting magnification is mounting another 24mm or 28mm infront of your macro 100 mm lens with a step down ring. I have not try this though. Can someone try and post the results.

marcus
    As promised, here are my quick and dirty testing results.

#1 A50/2.8 macro at minimum focus distance (1:2 macro):

#2 A 28mm reversely mounted on the front of the A50/2.8. A50/2.8 set to minimum focus distance, 28mm lens focused to infinity, aperture wide open. I don't have proper adapter, had to hold the 28mm lens against the A50/2.8, a bit shaky, and the lenses weren't aligned properly:

You can see there is an obvious dark circle on the edge, which is as expected 'cause it's like the A50/2.8 lens had a very narrow hood in front.

#3 DFA100WR macro at minimum focus distance (1:1 macro):

#4 Same as #2, replaced A50/2.8 w/ DFA100WR:

Now the magnification ratio is at least 4:1 or even greater, seems like a great combo for super macros

Just ordered a 49mm male to male reverse ring, will try this combo in the field when I got the ring.
    Last edited by fengwei; 29th July 2010 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by fengwei View Post
    As promised, here are my quick and dirty testing results.

#4 Same as #2, replaced A50/2.8 w/ DFA100WR:

Now the magnification ratio is at least 4:1 or even greater, seems like a great combo for super macros

Just ordered a 49mm male to male reverse ring, will try this combo in the field when I got the ring.
    Thanks for the samples.
    So you left the aperture on the 28mm closed or wide open?
    Its such a struggle dark on the viewfinder if its closed, unless you flip the aperture lever with a finger.

where did u order the male-male adapter?
    i want a 52mm one

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Thanks for the samples.
    So you left the aperture on the 28mm closed or wide open?
    Its such a struggle dark on the viewfinder if its closed, unless you flip the aperture lever with a finger.
    Yes, 28mm lens was wide open. The viewfinder isn't much darker than w/o the 28mm reversely mounted

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    where did u order the male-male adapter?
    i want a 52mm one
    My usual source

wah.. can get 1 for me?
    i wanna mount helios on my kit 18-55..

Quote Originally Posted by evolutioner View Post
    wah.. can get 1 for me?
    i wanna mount helios on my kit 18-55..
    Sorry order is already on the way, this round can't liao . You can buy from this store: http://store.tagotech.com/index.php?cPath=22_40

Good luck.

how come i got a pm for this....

anyway i explore reverse b4, doesn't suit my lighting setup...
    Gallery|Baby gallery
    I have become an expert in cleaning poo

What flash diffuser you guys used with this lens har? And what sort of flash setup with it? Hotshoe or off camera?

Finally decided to take this lens to China, instead of the 50-200mm; after many iterations, alongside my 10-20mm Sigma and 40mm f2.8. Can't resist what this macro will give me. Just want to be surprised by its capability. Like Desmond, change to a non-descript bag, instead of the Winer, Robot T3, which I just bought for $30 (clearance sale); supposedly for this trip. Will continue to monitor more tips from this thread.

Finally decided to take this lens to China, instead of the 50-200mm; after many iterations, alongside my 10-20mm Sigma and 40mm f2.8. Can't resist what this macro will give me. Just want to be surprised by its capability. Like Desmond, change to a non-descript bag, instead of the Winer, Robot T3, which I just bought for $30 (clearance sale); supposedly for this trip. Will continue to monitor more tips from this thread.
    This is a good cloice. Unless you are planning to shoot something with a long lens, shorter lens are more suitable for general travel. On my last holiday, > 95% of the pics were taken with the FA43....

Have a good trip...wow us with its capability when you get back.

Now is the best time to visit China, especially Beijing. Hope you'd bring some beautiful photos back

i woke up 7 early today and went to pulau ubin to shoot shoot this lens. Very nice lens indeed.

Big big fly

Dunno simi flying insect

Some ants, damn hard to shoot ants, they run so fast. So I prefocus on a spot and camp for them.

This ant also camp de, can cropped tighter to see details but i like it like scurrying around like that.

Caterpillar nom nom leaf.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 69101112 LastLast