Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: best torchlight for macro?

  1. #1
    Member hersheydesai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    528

    Default best torchlight for macro?

    Hey guys,

    I was just wondering...which is the best torchlight for night macro photography...I got two different torchlights so far and they both aren't powerful enough..

    It would help if I can get some brand names and place where I can buy them.
    Thanks.
    Hershey Desai & Deviantart
    Freezing moments in time

  2. #2
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by hersheydesai View Post
    Hey guys,

    I was just wondering...which is the best torchlight for night macro photography...I got two different torchlights so far and they both aren't powerful enough..

    It would help if I can get some brand names and place where I can buy them.
    Thanks.
    Cree torchlights can shine up to 10 storeys high. Nothing beats their brightness... and heat . I'm using an energizer headlight to mount to my diffuser for night macro and cree headlight for myself.

  3. #3
    Member hersheydesai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    I need one specially for searching insects...I have a proper flashlight for focussing...but its not bright enough to search for insects...
    Hershey Desai & Deviantart
    Freezing moments in time

  4. #4
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by hersheydesai View Post
    I need one specially for searching insects...I have a proper flashlight for focussing...but its not bright enough to search for insects...
    Get cree, trust me. I'm using the cree headlights myself for nite macro and searching insect. It basically light up the whole area and effective viewing range is about 10m.

  5. #5
    Member twiki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Mountain Time Zone
    Posts
    426

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Do note that Cree isn't a flashlight manufacturer, so you won't find a 'Cree flashlight'.
    There are numerous makes (of flashlights) that use Cree LED's.

    Fenix is probably one of the better and more affordable ones (to say nothing of makes like SureFire).
    Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Cree torchlights can shine up to 10 storeys high. Nothing beats their brightness... and heat . I'm using an energizer headlight to mount to my diffuser for night macro and cree headlight for myself.
    With modern cameras this smart, it's easier than ever to take bad pictures.

  6. #6
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by twiki View Post
    Do note that Cree isn't a flashlight manufacturer, so you won't find a 'Cree flashlight'.
    There are numerous makes (of flashlights) that use Cree LED's.

    Fenix is probably one of the better and more affordable ones (to say nothing of makes like SureFire).
    Yah, it's the Super bright LED. I saw a shop in Sim Lim Square at Level 6 selling torches that has cree LED @ $22.90 which i think is pretty affordable.

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Member hersheydesai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by twiki View Post
    Do note that Cree isn't a flashlight manufacturer, so you won't find a 'Cree flashlight'.
    There are numerous makes (of flashlights) that use Cree LED's.

    Fenix is probably one of the better and more affordable ones (to say nothing of makes like SureFire).
    I have heard of the Fenix lights.. and glad you told me that Cree is a type of LED and not a brand of flashlight :P
    I don't mind paying around 50-70 bucks if the flashlight is powerful and functional.

    novjoe,
    I do have a energizer headlight...had bought it ages ago..no idea what "type" of LED are inside it...never used it. Will check it out when I get back home tonight, and if its not good enough then will visit the SimLim store..

    Thanks guys.
    Hershey Desai & Deviantart
    Freezing moments in time

  9. #9
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by hersheydesai View Post
    novjoe,
    I do have a energizer headlight...had bought it ages ago..no idea what "type" of LED are inside it...never used it. Will check it out when I get back home tonight, and if its not good enough then will visit the SimLim store..

    Thanks guys.
    The energizer headlight is not as powerful as my other headlight with cree led but is good enough for me to see my subjects through the viewfinder during night macros.

  10. #10

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    For cree LED touch ,there are 1W or 3W type, 3W type will cost more but its brighter , SLT 4th storey got one shop (call Hai Chin or something close) selling the 3W type at $26.80 ,elsewhere is selling the same touch at $29.90 , I bought mine at $29.90 @ homfix
    Last edited by ayl7711; 11th January 2010 at 10:57 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member madmartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    20,227

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by NovJoe View Post
    Cree torchlights can shine up to 10 storeys high. Nothing beats their brightness... and heat . I'm using an energizer headlight to mount to my diffuser for night macro and cree headlight for myself.
    Man! That's powewerful! Isn't it too blinding to the insects?
    Take the shot!

  12. #12

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    I was back in Malaysia to my in laws house for 2 weeks , there was frequent black outs in the night , my father in law take my cree touch to show off to his friends next door what this little touch can do

  13. #13
    Member hersheydesai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    wow... I had no idea that Cree is so popular..btw, how do I know if an LED is cree or not. I do have a torchlight after all...could be cree only and I am not satisfied with it :P

    and madmartian,
    night insects have different sensory eyes than we do...the light doesn't harm them at all. Otherwise there would be sooo many environmentalists protesting use of camera flash...
    Hershey Desai & Deviantart
    Freezing moments in time

  14. #14

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by hersheydesai View Post
    ...
    and madmartian,
    night insects have different sensory eyes than we do...the light doesn't harm them at all. Otherwise there would be sooo many environmentalists protesting use of camera flash...
    wah... i never know this, is there any websites that i can get more info on this? want to know more on this.

    thanks!

  15. #15
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Man! That's powewerful! Isn't it too blinding to the insects?
    Not sure though. Maybe like hersheydesai mentioned, insects may have much higher light tolerance than humans.

  16. #16
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by hersheydesai View Post
    wow... I had no idea that Cree is so popular..btw, how do I know if an LED is cree or not. I do have a torchlight after all...could be cree only and I am not satisfied with it :P
    I was only introduced to cree's led based torchlight few months ago and already find that it is one of the best .

  17. #17
    Member hersheydesai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    dude,
    ask the master...steve... I am just repeating his words :P
    But yea, considering most of the bugs don't flinch at all even when we flash bright lights or use our camera flash at full power...I doubt the light is affecting their eyes at all. They see the world from a different spectrum altogether. I doubt they even see our light.
    Hershey Desai & Deviantart
    Freezing moments in time

  18. #18
    Member hersheydesai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    528

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    I found plenty of good candidates at the DealExtreme Website...
    fantastic ones...
    Wondering if a 300 lumen power is enough or should I go for 900 and above :P
    A 300 one is affordable...a 900 one is overkill on the price, but..you know how we men are...more the power, more the desire to want :P
    Hershey Desai & Deviantart
    Freezing moments in time

  19. #19
    Senior Member NovJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    ~Sunny Little Island~
    Posts
    5,651

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Actually, 300 lumens should be sufficient. The higher the power, the more battery draining, the more heat produced.

  20. #20

    Default Re: best torchlight for macro?

    Quote Originally Posted by hersheydesai View Post
    wow... I had no idea that Cree is so popular..btw, how do I know if an LED is cree or not. I do have a torchlight after all...could be cree only and I am not satisfied with it :P
    Most cree touch will indicate how many W on the packaging (ie 1W or 3W,so far I only know of CREE touch indicating how many W on the package) and it will indicate CREE led are use if U read the fine wording

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •