Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    191

    Default How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Hi

    Last weekend, I went to East Coast with relatives and take some pictures. Somehow I am now unable to retrieve the pictures in my SanDisk Extreme 4GB card. I had dropped my 4GB card in my office and someone may has step on it or ???

    I input the SD card into the SanDisk card reader but it cannot detect the card. I have another 2GB Ultra which the card reader can detect and display the photos.

    What are the possible reasons for card failure? Can I do a re-format of the SD card?

    Appreciate some advice, thank you.

    Regards
    htx

  2. #2

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Sad to say nothing much you can do. There's a capacitor inside that keep the digital (1010101) in the memory card alive, likely this cct is broken so the transistor lost it's charge. Not sure anyone else here got any better idea...
    Olympus E-P2, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm F2.8, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, FL-14 Flash

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Quote Originally Posted by maqius View Post
    Sad to say nothing much you can do. There's a capacitor inside that keep the digital (1010101) in the memory card alive, likely this cct is broken so the transistor lost it's charge. Not sure anyone else here got any better idea...
    Erm. It doesn't quite work like that.

    chances are, the memorycard or the connecting circuitry were cracked. Unless you know a wizard with a microsolderer, I don't think there's much you can do.
    Alpha

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Hi

    Thanks for the info. So the card is useless now, right?
    SanDisk is lifetime warranty? So can I make a claim fo a new SD card?

    Regards
    htx

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Upper Serangoon
    Posts
    1,187

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Quote Originally Posted by maqius View Post
    Sad to say nothing much you can do. There's a capacitor inside that keep the digital (1010101) in the memory card alive, likely this cct is broken so the transistor lost it's charge. Not sure anyone else here got any better idea...
    I'm sorry but this is nonsense, SD cards use non volatile memory, there is no capacitor that keeps the data alive.

    Email this address to inquire on sandisk warranty: enquiry@vector-magnetics.com
    Last edited by sabee; 12th January 2010 at 06:43 AM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Hi sabee

    Thks for the link, I will contact them and see how it progress.

    Regards
    htx

  7. #7

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Quote Originally Posted by htx View Post
    Hi

    Thanks for the info. So the card is useless now, right?
    SanDisk is lifetime warranty? So can I make a claim fo a new SD card?

    Regards
    htx
    I doubt it since it's user carelessness that led to the failure.
    Alpha

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Woodlands
    Posts
    191

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Hi

    Just to keep everybody posted.

    I called Vector Magnetics Pte Ltd with regards to the warranty of the SD card, they ask for the package and receipt which I do not have (since this was purchased sometime ago). They are afraid that I have the fake copy so I said you can check the card at your premises.

    In the end they offer me an "upgrade" with 1 x Extreme III 8 GB SD card for my faultly Extreme III 4GB with additional $20. I took the offer which I think is worth it. You need to go down to their office located at Middle Road to get this done.

    End of story, close thread.

    Regards
    htx

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Don't reformat it. The first thing you should do is to stop using this sd card because any new files you put into it may overwrite the old files. Follow the steps below:

    1. Connect your card to computer using a card reader. You should see memory card shown as a drive letter (like H in Windows Explorer.
    2. Download recover software, recommended one is Wondershare photo recovery (it's only $19.95)
    http://www.data-recovery-utilities.c...overy.html#172
    3. Install and open wondershare photo recovery, select your memory drive, and click 'Start' button.Follow the wizard you can easily get your pictures back!

    Then you can get back lost pictures.

    Good luck!

  10. #10

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewPax View Post
    Don't reformat it. The first thing you should do is to stop using this sd card because any new files you put into it may overwrite the old files. Follow the steps below:

    1. Connect your card to computer using a card reader. You should see memory card shown as a drive letter (like H in Windows Explorer.
    2. Download recover software, recommended one is Wondershare photo recovery (it's only $19.95)
    http://www.data-recovery-utilities.c...overy.html#172
    3. Install and open wondershare photo recovery, select your memory drive, and click 'Start' button.Follow the wizard you can easily get your pictures back!

    Then you can get back lost pictures.

    Good luck!
    wow never try this.. Anyone can share their experience if tried before?

  11. #11

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Some of the brand do comes with recovery software to recover erased files.

    But in TS's case, the memory card can't be detected by the card reader (ie. spoilt).

    About warranty, yes we need to keep the packaging that has vector magnetic sticker on it plus the receipt.

  12. #12
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,420

    Default Re: How to retrieve lost pictures in SD card?

    Quote Originally Posted by htx View Post
    End of story, close thread.
    Please close the thread properly. Upper right hand - Thread Tools. Your job.
    EOS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •