Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: education not up to standards.

Default Re: education not up to standards.

Quote Originally Posted by iMac08 View Post
    Let me give u an example- my classmate every year deans list. Every exam top student or 2nd highest in university. She is perpetually late by 20-30min for all lecture. When she is on time, those topic she on time and she gets 2nd or 3rd. Those late all top scorer. Tell your principal wake up
    your classmate then better buck the hell up when she starts working.

also, this is like saying that if you are late you will score well.

maybe it is the other way, if you are intelligent enough to not really need to attend school, you can afford to be late. nothing to do with results stemming from being late.

last of all, isn't punctuality something our education system ought to instill?

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    No, I do not doubt your stories. I do have encounters with students who are not academically inclined but do relatively well in working life and vice versa. I'm just not comfortable with the notion that a student's attitude should be left unchecked as long as he/she can produce results.
    no, it is fine in school

but when that same guy goes to his workplace, and performs well, outperforms everyone in the company, and then turns up late, never helps with certain office things, and the boss says "hey, it's ok, he's the top worker, you guys better respect him and give him his space", people will start stomp threads in emotional frustration.

talk about double standards!

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

hmm. top schs having this kind of treatment. either we are getting worse, or he is just very dictatorial.
    depends on the school..

btw, one of the "top schools" has rules such as "watch face has to be certain colour" or something.. and cannot have any color watch strap except black.

for school motto, that is just you being nitpicky. you have never made a mistake saying the pledge before? how about making you say it 1 million times in a row?

for these:

tells students they look like TERRORISTs as their hair is long, facial hair is long..

calls the indians in their schools gangs.
    i don't know if your command of english language is strong enough to have paraphrased it right, so i won't comment.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post

yeah, education system seriously wrong, students no longer respect teachers, system and authority
    一日为师,终身为父

not many people believe in these nowadays,

now is 我是学生,我爸爸可以控告你

Quote Originally Posted by zero o View Post
    Correct me if i am wrong but it should be "IB" program and not "IP" program ?
    IB is International Baccalaureate

that's for certain schools like acs(i), as part of their IP programme. taken in place of a levels.

Look at our scholars and their policies. There's no mystery.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Cut the guy some slack. He has only been the principal for 1 month and you have probably been in the school for a few years already. Nothing wrong with getting the school motto slightly wrong. I'm almost done with education and I still don't know all the words of the national anthem.

I personally think forcibly trying to prevent BGR is dumb but its his school and he can run it however he wants to. No point trying to grumble online while being afraid of being caught by 'the school admin'. Either you do something about it or you don't. Other than complaining to a higher authority, you can try changing schools if you find the new policy so unbearable. I'm sure a lot of schools are willing to accept a student from a top school. You will never win an internal fight against your principal.

If you choose not to do anything, try to think this way. The principal's foremost priority is to get all the students to achieve the best results they are capable of in the A levels. That is the same as your reason in attending a top school isn't it? Since your interests match, I'm sure there is a way to tolerate each other. If you really need to break school rules, just stay away from the principal's office when you hold hands or kiss or whatever.

He is the principal. He makes the rules. Not happy, trash him or his car and leave school. For MOE to punish him, he needs to really make bad mistakes. But he is probably there for a reason. To tighten up loose ends and make some wake up calls. MOE do not put nasty principals for no reason. There is a cause, there will be an action. Either that or it was pure luck he got in.

i used to be late most of the time for lectures in my poly, and some of my module leaders actually serve me pink form when the new latecomer rule kick in...but surprisingly, after i did reasonably well in some of the common test, he sort of cut down the pink forms for me.

during army, i was also frequently late for office hours and my officer open and close one eye as i'm loaded with more workload than other nsf.
    in the end, i'm still given outstanding performance by my officer, even though i could be promoted to cfc but i declined the offer, reason being i got more then enough workload to cope with.

strangely after i started working in a jap company, due to their scan card system so no choice have to be on time.
    nowadays with a new non-jap company, i'm seldom late for work already.

don't write ppl off just because they are late, cause eventually those who are bright enough, will change for the better.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 12th January 2010 at 03:09 PM.

last time policemen wore shorts and we students cannot put on ankle socks

my JC principal wasn't really well liked either but somehow his harsh and direct tactics and antics showed through somehow the later batches all liked him

Blog Entries

well. quite a lot of stuff here huh. cant really talk abt it one by one.

so ill update it first. and i decided to heck the sch admin. i reckon i already did my best to protect sch reputation already.

our dear principal says with pride: MM GOH.

and as for the rephrasing part, relax. i english is A1,A2, maintain quite well. wont say so much abt the mother tongue though :P

and as for the old stuff, u do realise it wasnt a good policy, and this is why u have a lack of creative scientists from singapore ~~
    hitting stuff in ur head fixes ur way in a certain way, that u just cant think for urself. ~~

for example: our current dm, she held my lvl a few pupils including me, for wearing the old pe attire, as she annoucned that it wasnt allowed.

if it was in 1950, we would all kenna pumping, caning etc etc.

however, now things all change liao. we were given the chance to explain ourselves (today we doing a lot of rough activity. dun wanna damage new clothes. student council approved of it)
    she said okthen since that way u all go ahead and have fun.

see. she is reasonable one.

i'll take over reasonable than stupid one elbow rules ~~

k now lets discuss on a broader scale, i conclude that the current principal is very, old fashioned. but i'm pretty sure he wont be up there for too long. at the least the elbow rule has become the joke of the sch and his MM GOH is like the joke of a certain online social site(:

now lets move on a bit: do u think we shld still use stiff harsh measurements on students, in a changing world? we are world class education hub. wad do we really mean by world class? comments?
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 12th January 2010 at 10:37 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    "top school" that is mixed, and got first batch of a level students..

you aren't making it too hard, you know.
    really? shrugs. i withhold the sch name and the principal name ~~

but still i think if u wanna lead a sch like that, u fit in with us, and not expect whole cohort to fit in to u.

i wonder if we could have those, vote of faith thing. see how we students and the teachers actually view him. keep it anonymous, and see wad happens.

Blog Entries

okkies. i shall make up a short summary here.

as we had discussed,

1:
    guy and girl keep 1 elbow length apart
    elbow rule is stupid,why make these students look at the opposite gender in a repulsive manner? 13 year olds are still innocent. unless ur saying our NE is going down the drain, to add on, our sch has a tradition where guys and girls interact a lot. the rule is-crude, ancient, aint gonna work in a sch where we had always been doing stuff democratically, and we have self discipline. not just that. we have lessons to actually guide students abt what is right or wrong and what is stupid. we are not idiots. face it.

2:
    control over language. it doesnt really matter, as long as u are an educator, and ur the highest ranked in ur sch, u shld be having a good control over the language. if u go saying ur sch motto wrongly in chinese, u say "MM GOH" with pride, u dun need feel proud. we are disgraced that we have u as the principal.

3:
    past policies:
    principal has a bad reputation, hasnt been performing up to standard. enuff said.

if u gonna tell me abt being traditional, i'll tell u this, we are a top school in singapore, we practise modern methods of teaching. and we respect ur opinions. we do not need rules as stupid as guy and girl keep 1 elbow length apart to guide us. it is stupid, it shows how immature the principal is.

and if anyone, whom i deem is reliable, and wishes to approach me directly, u may do so via pm, and i'll provide u with more details to show that i am not coloring stuff.

chill kid...lol...

does the elbow rule still applies? does anyone actually obeys it? how does the teachers react to these new rules? mayb u could take a cue from them?

looking on the bright side, at the very least u know where he stands, and **** hits the fan, u know which side to stand.
    おれのflickrださ

hmm. this is a pretty odd topic. i'm assuming most of the people here already finished schooling.

my school currently has a new principal transferred in. and as far as i can tell, the policies that he propose dun seem exactly civil, but rather, pardon me for my choice of words, crude, barbaric and quite ancient.

to give u an example,

he claims that our sch (mind u. we are a top sch in singapore. i'll withhold the sch name for obvious reasons. dun wanna get into trouble) will do badly in our A lvls, when even our first batch of A lvl students havent even got the chance to take the A lvls yet. and rather than encouraging the students to work hard, he simply throws the verdict: u are gonna screw up.

his new policy: guys and girls need to maintain 1 elbow apart. if this was in... a sch with bad reputation and low level of discipline, i'll be alright with it. but we are afterall a top school in singapore, and i think this crude form of policy doesnt reflect too well in the sch.

oh another: late comers, after 5 times will be expelled/suspension. cant remember exact rule.

hmm. top schs having this kind of treatment. either we are getting worse, or he is just very dictatorial.

i'll post a short excerpt, from a student of his previous sch, paraphrased so that u cant google it.

well. another reason being, his control over the english language isnt too strong. might be the reason why he makes such comments?.

i would wonder, does having such acts in singapore actually reflect well that we have world class standard education? or just simply wayang?

and adding a point, he even misread the sch motto, and the irony being, he is the principal, he is chinese educated, and the motto is in chinese, 4 words only.
    oh yes. if anyone feels that this thread is simply a mindless rant, i'll be fine with deleting it.

i' just curious abt ur views on this incident. i do not wish to take a too negative stand on this issue yet. thank you:x

AND PLS MAKE THIS A CIVIL CONVERSATION/DEBATE. if anyone needs clarification on another's viewpoint, do say so.

it's nothing new. i am in my 20s. i was from a top primary school we were taught like that too.. most chinese schools are THIS strict. i find it okay. maybe you got too influence by decant western values

Quote Originally Posted by wheresmycheese View Post
    it's nothing new. i am in my 20s. i was from a top primary school we were taught like that too.. most chinese schools are THIS strict. i find it okay. maybe you got too influence by decant western values
    actually, i think a lot of singaporeeans pick and choose the worst of each world to justify their own decadent behaviour.

we are neither here nor there, sometimes we want to be ang moh, other times we want to be eastern. we are one confused people.

okkies. i shall make up a short summary here.

as we had discussed,

1:
    guy and girl keep 1 elbow length apart
    elbow rule is stupid,why make these students look at the opposite gender in a repulsive manner? 13 year olds are still innocent. unless ur saying our NE is going down the drain, to add on, our sch has a tradition where guys and girls interact a lot. the rule is-crude, ancient, aint gonna work in a sch where we had always been doing stuff democratically, and we have self discipline. not just that. we have lessons to actually guide students abt what is right or wrong and what is stupid. we are not idiots. face it.

2:
    control over language. it doesnt really matter, as long as u are an educator, and ur the highest ranked in ur sch, u shld be having a good control over the language. if u go saying ur sch motto wrongly in chinese, u say "MM GOH" with pride, u dun need feel proud. we are disgraced that we have u as the principal.

3:
    past policies:
    principal has a bad reputation, hasnt been performing up to standard. enuff said.

if u gonna tell me abt being traditional, i'll tell u this, we are a top school in singapore, we practise modern methods of teaching. and we respect ur opinions. we do not need rules as stupid as guy and girl keep 1 elbow length apart to guide us. it is stupid, it shows how immature the principal is.

and if anyone, whom i deem is reliable, and wishes to approach me directly, u may do so via pm, and i'll provide u with more details to show that i am not coloring stuff.
    Are you from HCJC? Just did a search and apparently they just had a little change in the hierarchy..

How's this : I was from a top secondary school in Singapore and my principal couldn't speak English or Chinese very well

If you're really that mature as claimed, following the rule should be of no problem then. If you've got a bone to pick, do it at the school.

Quote Originally Posted by Cartman2000 View Post

How's this : I was from a top secondary school in Singapore and my principal couldn't speak English or Chinese very well

If you think the rules are unreasonable, be proactive and do something about it by talking to your Council.

Complaining and ranting will get you nowhere. A well prepared campaign may get you somewhere.

Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast