Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: education not up to standards.

Default Re: education not up to standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Chikyuu View Post
    Its IP(Integrated Program)
    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    (: i assure u its the IP programme. go goggle.

Thanks for clarification .. my bad

no lar. who knows. principal/sch gets to my neck claiming i'm er. badmouthing the sch, its my own personal opinion only. ~~

etc etc. u know. world is a scary place
    bah! for the world to be a scary place is for the brave to do nothing. scare wat? one life...live it!
    おれのflickrださ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    bah! for the world to be a scary place is for the brave to do nothing. scare wat? one life...live it!
    ok. u gave me courage brother

if anything happens i go work as ur photographer and u must feed me for life ok?

ok. u gave me courage brother

if anything happens i go work as ur photographer and u must feed me for life ok?
    i teach u how to fish better....lol! u can be my official bibliographer-cum-photographer! lol!!!!
    おれのflickrださ

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    i teach u how to fish better....lol! u can be my official bibliographer-cum-photographer! lol!!!!
    no scare no scare;D :P

still. what on earth is happening to schools nowadays. sigh.
    dunno is it students getting more demanding or the educators getting more and more relaxing.

no scare no scare;D :P

still. what on earth is happening to schools nowadays. sigh.
    dunno is it students getting more demanding or the educators getting more and more relaxing.
    student's parents demand the teachers relax their demanding teachings. subjects getting harder (or the kids getting dumber) so they ask the school to lower the standards.....pah! memalukan!
    おれのflickrださ

yep i agree. it is one sided. so i'm just discussing. not really gonna complain. cant do much can i?

just worried sch give me hell cause i'm discussing this zz
    u didnt know schs have an unspoken rule on never to discuss what happens inside to outside world did u? (:
    I am not sure about "sch give me hell".

If you are to take a formal route (of complaint), the MOE procedure will guide you. However if you have gone through it , you will know why it is an uphill task.

My advise : As much as the principal seem "unbefiting" in his post , his so call "chinese educated" etc , it is likely and realistically he will still be your principal after you or your friends graduate. And you can do nothing about it. My take is continuous feedback / communication to him and try to bridge his understanding and trust. Take this as a building your negotiation skills , as you may find many such "principals" in your working life later on.

And if you do , you have him to thank for

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by drakon09 View Post
    That's quite a drastic paradigm shift.

Has the council taken this up with the council advisor?
    no not really.i have no idea. but because i felt its quite a big shift its not a good thing.

hence my discussion here.

hmm. this is a pretty odd topic. i'm assuming most of the people here already finished schooling.

my school currently has a new principal transferred in. and as far as i can tell, the policies that he propose dun seem exactly civil, but rather, pardon me for my choice of words, crude, barbaric and quite ancient.

to give u an example,

he claims that our sch (mind u. we are a top sch in singapore. i'll withhold the sch name for obvious reasons. dun wanna get into trouble) will do badly in our A lvls, when even our first batch of A lvl students havent even got the chance to take the A lvls yet. and rather than encouraging the students to work hard, he simply throws the verdict: u are gonna screw up.

his new policy: guys and girls need to maintain 1 elbow apart. if this was in... a sch with bad reputation and low level of discipline, i'll be alright with it. but we are afterall a top school in singapore, and i think this crude form of policy doesnt reflect too well in the sch.

oh another: late comers, after 5 times will be expelled/suspension. cant remember exact rule.

hmm. top schs having this kind of treatment. either we are getting worse, or he is just very dictatorial.

i'll post a short excerpt, from a student of his previous sch, paraphrased so that u cant google it.

well. another reason being, his control over the english language isnt too strong. might be the reason why he makes such comments?.

i would wonder, does having such acts in singapore actually reflect well that we have world class standard education? or just simply wayang?

and adding a point, he even misread the sch motto, and the irony being, he is the principal, he is chinese educated, and the motto is in chinese, 4 words only.
    oh yes. if anyone feels that this thread is simply a mindless rant, i'll be fine with deleting it.

i' just curious abt ur views on this incident. i do not wish to take a too negative stand on this issue yet. thank you:x

AND PLS MAKE THIS A CIVIL CONVERSATION/DEBATE. if anyone needs clarification on another's viewpoint, do say so.
    because a principle has different way of running a school from what you expect, you call this education not up to standards?

what about the other teachers in the school who's done a good job?

what about MOE reviewing the syllabus to ensure our education standards keep up with today's demand?

because of one principle, you discredit the whole school and education system.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pokiemon View Post
    because a principle has different way of running a school from what you expect, you call this education not up to standards?

what about the other teachers in the school who's done a good job?

what about MOE reviewing the syllabus to ensure our education standards keep up with today's demand?

because of one principle, you discredit the whole school and education system.
    me no discredit whole sch. dear sir. read the whole thread before commenting.

what i'm saying is: is it good to have such a leader in this sch? is it benificial. if u can tell me why it is, and if i find the reason acceptable i'm ok with it ~~

infact in one of the latter few post i posted:

sch itself is nice. i like it
    just that a change of principals with a few useless/bad new policies is what i dun like.

other than that i love the sch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    I am not sure about "sch give me hell".

If you are to take a formal route (of complaint), the MOE procedure will guide you. However if you have gone through it , you will know why it is an uphill task.

My advise : As much as the principal seem "unbefiting" in his post , his so call "chinese educated" etc , it is likely and realistically he will still be your principal after you or your friends graduate. And you can do nothing about it. My take is continuous feedback / communication to him and try to bridge his understanding and trust. Take this as a building your negotiation skills , as you may find many such "principals" in your working life later on.

And if you do , you have him to thank for
    hopefully we could. but as from past experiences, my sch has er. a strict rule on this sort of stuff. the last time the sch was mentioned in the paper for a comment on certain a topic., the student cohort really got it hard. and it wasnt really our fault. facts are facts. if u dare comment u take the responsibility.

so after that incident no one dare to say anything liao.

me no discredit whole sch. dear sir. read the whole thread before commenting.

what i'm saying is: is it good to have such a leader in this sch? is it benificial. if u can tell me why it is, and if i find the reason acceptable i'm ok with it ~~

infact in one of the latter few post i posted:

sch itself is nice. i like it
    just that a change of principals with a few useless/bad new policies is what i dun like.

other than that i love the sch.
    i have re-read.

difference in opinion - "the policies that he propose dun seem exactly civil, but rather, pardon me for my choice of words, crude, barbaric and quite ancient."

another difference - "i think this crude form of policy doesnt reflect too well in the sch."

casting aspersion - "his control over the english language isnt too strong."

casting aspersion again - "he even misread the sch motto"

stereotyping - "he is chinese educated"

Blog Entries

i have re-read.

difference in opinion - "the policies that he propose dun seem exactly civil, but rather, pardon me for my choice of words, crude, barbaric and quite ancient."

another difference - "i think this crude form of policy doesnt reflect too well in the sch."

hey hey. i didnt do tat. his policies dun fit in our sch. as i shown before, students have the ability to self discipline. why u wanna resort to a crude way of 1 elbow away?

control over english language isnt too strong---> may not be able to express what he is saying. unless u dun mind mis-communications.

(to give u an idea, its like telling the japs that they will be fined if they dun give up seats to elderly, when they already have that kind of right attitude to do so.)

misread sch motto. ur a principal of a sch. i believe the first thing on ur list is to memorise the motto.

chinese educated: fact. moe has stated that they purposely appointed him as new principal cause he wasfrom a chinese education background.
    this is my personal opinion. i do not seek any harm to anyone. its just what i witness and what i feel.

i do not sterotype chinese educated cause i'm a student who is supposed to be bilingual.

infact, most of our top teachers are chinese educated. i dun see a problem with that.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 11th January 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Chikyuu
    Guests

Views are subjective. The TS simply put his views out. Also those words do not seem to be targeted at the school or MOE in any way, but rather commenting on the way the principal is running things.

You wouldn't know if it was true or not unless you witnessed it your self. This is simply the TS's version of the story. It may be true, but it also may not be. Aspersion is a rather strong word to use when you cannot be sure whether or not its the truth.
    I do not see TS linking any of his actions to him being chinese educated.
    Last edited by Chikyuu; 11th January 2010 at 11:18 PM.

well you used the word irony right? that's short of calling him incompetent.

and students DO not have the ability to self discipline. i am not sure where you got that notion from. adults who are far more matured than kids can't even conform to rules and laws. what makes you think students can self discipline?

you mentioned he is newly transferred right? give him time before you judge him.

Blog Entries

well you used the word irony right? that's short of calling him incompetent.

and students DO not have the ability to self discipline. i am not sure where you got that notion from. adults who are far more matured than kids can't even conform to rules and laws. what makes you think students can self discipline?

you mentioned he is newly transferred right? give him time before you judge him.
    hey hey. who said tat students cannot self discipline. ur the one being REALLY stereotypical. are u a educator? or are u a professional. who are u to make such a statement?

irony cause: ur the principal. its ur sch motto. its in chinese.
    ur chinese educated: arent u supposed to at least get ur motto right? ZZZ

pokei if u wanna post random stuff here for no good reason pls dun. we are discussing if this policies are workable or not. or do they even have any usefulness.and not a long post from me telling u which part u read wrongly.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 11th January 2010 at 11:31 PM.

Blog Entries

k i'm off to bed. will update on tmr night (:

and pls pls pls. pokie. READ the WHOLE THREAD.
    u only read first page. i'm quite sure. cause u missed out all the stuff we mentioned abt his ex students comments from his ex sch, what we think abt the policies.

~~

sleepy liao. good night!

I know ur school! LOL... Just shifted to somewhere west...My brother is gg to be the first batch of students taking As...But I think the school is rather new towards A level education...
    Passion for Photography

he claims that our sch (mind u. we are a top sch in singapore. i'll withhold the sch name for obvious reasons. dun wanna get into trouble) will do badly in our A lvls, when even our first batch of A lvl students havent even got the chance to take the A lvls yet. and rather than encouraging the students to work hard, he simply throws the verdict: u are gonna screw up.
    "top school" that is mixed, and got first batch of a level students..

you aren't making it too hard, you know.

hmm. this is a pretty odd topic. i'm assuming most of the people here already finished schooling.
    you better not have been born in the 1950s.

you can ask some of the old-timers.

back in those days, the parents hand the teachers canes to whack the student, beg them to produce a good man.

corporal punishment, i do not entirely agree with, but i read your first post, i can only feel that the students of today have been molly-coddled and next they will be demanding to be taught how to play polly pocket in school. and this will then spill over to the next stage in life, and so on..

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast