Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 30

Thread: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

  1. #1

    Default Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    I know that there are two kinds of setup, one is using flash units and the other is using continuous lighting...

    As i know that continuous lighting is running on AC and once the switch is on, the light is always there...

    so when using flash units, its it mean only when i press the shutter release of the camera then all the flash units will light up??
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  2. #2

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Well yes, that's usually how flashes work. Hence the name "flash".

    Most strobe units will still emit a "standby light" as well though.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Yup or you can press the test/pilot button to get them to light up.. They just like your camera's flashes, except much more powerful, freedom to move it around, accepts a huge array of light modifiers, and you've got to meter and set the lights yourself..

    Like what Rashkae mentioned, most do have a modelling light to enable you to see how the light falls on your subject. Though alternatively you can snap a few test frames to see how it looks, but modelling lights are much faster..

  4. #4

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    oh i see..ya i am aware that most flash units setup come with modellng light...as i am planning to setup a simple studio lighting for shooting some dolls which is about 70cm tall..and i am thinking is it alright to use continuous lighting since it dont have any motion so i dont need flash units to freeze the motion..

    and for EX580II flash, may i know what is the power of this flash?
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  5. #5

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post

    and for EX580II flash, may i know what is the power of this flash?
    It's on the Canon website... And in the spec sheet that was included with the flash when you bought it.
    Alpha

  6. #6

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    It's on the Canon website... And in the spec sheet that was included with the flash when you bought it.
    i am trying to find it but i dont manage to get it...
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  7. #7

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    i am trying to find it but i dont manage to get it...
    http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/co...&modelid=14998

    Guide number is 190 (190ft, 58meters)
    Last edited by Rashkae; 10th January 2010 at 06:07 PM.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    The 580EXII has a guide number of 58, meaning at max power it can light up a subject at a distance of 58m/190ft (at its 105mm zoom setting and ISO 100 according to Canon) at an aperture of f/1.0..

    GN = Distance x Aperture (f-number)

    Should be more than enough for your intended purpose.. Just note that if you're using light modifiers or bouncing the flash you'll lose some light due to the efficiency of the modifers..

    Readup on inverse square law as well if you want to know how a flash's output is related to the subject distance..

  9. #9
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    oh i see..ya i am aware that most flash units setup come with modellng light...as i am planning to setup a simple studio lighting for shooting some dolls which is about 70cm tall..and i am thinking is it alright to use continuous lighting since it dont have any motion so i dont need flash units to freeze the motion..

    and for EX580II flash, may i know what is the power of this flash?
    well... if ur a beginner like me into product photography, i reckon u might not wanna start using a strobist kit huh.

    well... think abt it.

    strobist kit: if ur using canon flashes, u need at least 2, one of them having to be able to be a master. and u still gotta makesure u have full control over their settings. if this isnt tough enough, u probably need a fill light from a reflector or ur secondary flash, and erm. its really harder to judge how flash turns out. u gotta compensate for it etc.

    so price wise.... lets see.
    2 flashes: abt 800 plus? add ur tripod mount lar, ur tripods, ur umbrellas, ur reflector etc etc. oh yes. a backdrop too.

    erm.tats a few k. :x
    yet it is one of the more popular kits. maybe i'm just lazy to learn ~~

    i personally am using a continuous lighting set.i got mine, 2 lights with stands, a light tent. advantage is i can tell how much lighting it falls on my subject right away and its easier to see. u can visit my blog in my signature to see some samples. maybe if u need help i could help along the way? (:

    cheers!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    The 580EXII has a guide number of 58, meaning at max power it can light up a subject at a distance of 58m/190ft (at its 105mm zoom setting and ISO 100 according to Canon) at an aperture of f/1.0..

    GN = Distance x Aperture (f-number)

    Should be more than enough for your intended purpose.. Just note that if you're using light modifiers or bouncing the flash you'll lose some light due to the efficiency of the modifers..

    Readup on inverse square law as well if you want to know how a flash's output is related to the subject distance..
    ya this flash is really powerful enough for my purpose and i always have to bounce the light off a wall to fall on the subject if not it will be too harsh if shoot straight to the subject..

    and i am planning for a studio lighting using continuous lighting setup as the below link
    http://www.thestudiooutfitters.com/s...ex&cPath=65_74

    it is ok for my purpose??
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  11. #11

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well... if ur a beginner like me into product photography, i reckon u might not wanna start using a strobist kit huh.

    well... think abt it.

    strobist kit: if ur using canon flashes, u need at least 2, one of them having to be able to be a master. and u still gotta makesure u have full control over their settings. if this isnt tough enough, u probably need a fill light from a reflector or ur secondary flash, and erm. its really harder to judge how flash turns out. u gotta compensate for it etc.

    so price wise.... lets see.
    2 flashes: abt 800 plus? add ur tripod mount lar, ur tripods, ur umbrellas, ur reflector etc etc. oh yes. a backdrop too.

    erm.tats a few k. :x
    yet it is one of the more popular kits. maybe i'm just lazy to learn ~~

    i personally am using a continuous lighting set.i got mine, 2 lights with stands, a light tent. advantage is i can tell how much lighting it falls on my subject right away and its easier to see. u can visit my blog in my signature to see some samples. maybe if u need help i could help along the way? (:


    cheers!
    yeah....actually i am thinking using continous lighting ...cause my subject is still no motion and i usually want to shoot it at home only...
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  12. #12
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    ya this flash is really powerful enough for my purpose and i always have to bounce the light off a wall to fall on the subject if not it will be too harsh if shoot straight to the subject..

    and i am planning for a studio lighting using continuous lighting setup as the below link
    http://www.thestudiooutfitters.com/s...ex&cPath=65_74

    it is ok for my purpose??
    wa... u dun seem like a beginner to me o.o

    well. is it necessary? u might wanna see some sample photos too first before u make ur decision.

    first things first:
    continuous lighting setup: check ur color temperature of the light bulbs. its very important. my one is abt 5400K.

    next: are u gonna diffuse the light? remember: a strong light casts a strong shadow. do u want it?

    3: fill lights: can u control the power of ur light with tat kit?

    4: reflectors: good, but not necessary. u could always couple a flash into a continuous lighting shoot. tats wad i do.

    5: cost: is it too expensive? 170 bucks seems... a bit too ex. i got mine from tago tech. almost the same as ur kit, but mine has a light tent. same price

    http://store.tagotech.com/product_in...roducts_id=281

    if u are doing as a one time only i suggest u might wanna rent. its cheaper?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    wa... u dun seem like a beginner to me o.o

    well. is it necessary? u might wanna see some sample photos too first before u make ur decision.

    first things first:
    continuous lighting setup: check ur color temperature of the light bulbs. its very important. my one is abt 5400K.

    next: are u gonna diffuse the light? remember: a strong light casts a strong shadow. do u want it?

    3: fill lights: can u control the power of ur light with tat kit?

    4: reflectors: good, but not necessary. u could always couple a flash into a continuous lighting shoot. tats wad i do.

    5: cost: is it too expensive? 170 bucks seems... a bit too ex. i got mine from tago tech. almost the same as ur kit, but mine has a light tent. same price

    http://store.tagotech.com/product_in...roducts_id=281

    if u are doing as a one time only i suggest u might wanna rent. its cheaper?
    erm...actually it wont be a one time only...it will be always as what i am shooting are my collection of dolls..and also with that kit it got softbox with it..which can help diffuse the light and i am planning to get a reflector too to play with the light as depend on where i want to put the light..

    As for now what i am using is EX580 II flash only and always have to bounce the light off..to get better result..

    For the light tent...as my dolls are pretty tall like 65cm to 70cm so when shooting i might be facing a problem that why i am still wondering to get a tent or a background stand..
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  14. #14
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    erm...actually it wont be a one time only...it will be always as what i am shooting are my collection of dolls..and also with that kit it got softbox with it..which can help diffuse the light and i am planning to get a reflector too to play with the light as depend on where i want to put the light..

    As for now what i am using is EX580 II flash only and always have to bounce the light off..to get better result..

    For the light tent...as my dolls are pretty tall like 65cm to 70cm so when shooting i might be facing a problem that why i am still wondering to get a tent or a background stand..
    well... did i mention got a 1 meter by 1 meter by 1 meter light tent

    i'm usign the 75 by 75 by 75 hehe.



    since tat way i suggest u get tago tech. since u got light tent u dun need soft box for diffusal

    ok i show u one of my sample shot. and of course! its certainly post edited. for better looking comfort


    if u want larger one go my blog see.
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 10th January 2010 at 07:48 PM.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    ya i have saw the blog...if i want to shot two or three dolls together then the tent might too small..and also the doll have some crown on top of the head and i afraid i will mess their hair....hahaha...

    you are right with the tent i wont be need diffuser or softbox..but with tent is hard for me do adjust posture of my dolls for shooting...so is really headache..and i have see some samples of those dolls shooting..

    Below is one of the sample...really like this of kind setup..
    http://pics11.blog.yam.com/19/userfi...8bb82ee891.jpg
    http://pics11.blog.yam.com/17/userfi...36b51ca136.jpg

    if i want to do shooting for two dolls like the 2nd picture...the tent might too small..and also very restricted in posture
    Last edited by rysouke; 10th January 2010 at 08:00 PM.
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  16. #16
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    ya i have saw the blog...if i want to shot two or three dolls together then the tent might too small..and also the doll have some crown on top of the head and i afraid i will mess their hair....hahaha...

    you are right with the tent i wont be need diffuser or softbox..but with tent is hard for me do adjust posture of my dolls for shooting...so is really headache..and i have see some samples of those dolls shooting..

    Below is one of the sample...really like this of kind setup..
    http://pics11.blog.yam.com/19/userfi...8bb82ee891.jpg
    http://pics11.blog.yam.com/17/userfi...36b51ca136.jpg

    if i want to do shooting for two dolls like the 2nd picture...the tent might too small..and also very restricted in posture
    OH MY ITS THOSE TAIWAN DOLLS! they very famous there!!!!!!!!

    lol;D

    hmm. actually i think quite possible leh. i mean. add in photoshop, post editing, ur things looks nice

    u can try first. hmm... cause remember: u dun need a soft box. u could just get an umbrella and light can still be diffused. its also another choice!

  17. #17

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    OH MY ITS THOSE TAIWAN DOLLS! they very famous there!!!!!!!!

    lol;D

    hmm. actually i think quite possible leh. i mean. add in photoshop, post editing, ur things looks nice

    u can try first. hmm... cause remember: u dun need a soft box. u could just get an umbrella and light can still be diffused. its also another choice!
    HAhahaha....you are aware of those taiwan dolls...not many ppl in singapore know about that...and i am pretty crazy over those dolls..and their show..hehe currently watching the DVD...

    i am starting to collect those dolls..so i want to take shoots of them..ya i can use umbrella not really need a softbox...but from the pictures..above are they using continous lighting or strobist set??? from the exif image data..it indicate flash not fire...so i can assume he uses continous lighting...


    you mean add in photoshop ... do u mean the background or what?? It seem that the person did use CS4 to editing..
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  18. #18
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post
    HAhahaha....you are aware of those taiwan dolls...not many ppl in singapore know about that...and i am pretty crazy over those dolls..and their show..hehe currently watching the DVD...

    i am starting to collect those dolls..so i want to take shoots of them..ya i can use umbrella not really need a softbox...but from the pictures..above are they using continous lighting or strobist set??? from the exif image data..it indicate flash not fire...so i can assume he uses continous lighting...


    you mean add in photoshop ... do u mean the background or what?? It seem that the person did use CS4 to editing..
    okkies. gonna get a bit boring for u.

    lets see. i used flash? yes i did. 430exii. it showed on my canon raw file.

    first u shoot in raw, and u adjust for the lightings lar. u know. basic stuff.

    i used a black bg for the shot. ur infinitesweep type. it comes as a set.

    now i open up photoshop, (i'm using cs3;D wrong guess again!)
    i edit the raw file, using the blacks control, i'm able to cause the cloth to lose all its detail and to be viewed as pure black. good thing is that ur image dun lose much detail as its mainly white.

    so i get a black bg!

    the only major photoshop part was just the reflection actually. the rest is pretty close to original image. ;D

    regarding the dolls ...

    i go taiwan 9 years in a row LOL i'm quite aware of their existance;D

    though never personally watch it before.

    ya know if u stay near my house or something maybe could drop by to try or or something (:

    oh yes. pictures on hte blog: nike is from a continuous lighting set. so is domokun. the nds was a normal flash shot, head on flash i was focusing more on photoshop at that point. i didnt even use a proper sweep for nds ~~
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 10th January 2010 at 08:53 PM.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    okkies. gonna get a bit boring for u.

    lets see. i used flash? yes i did. 430exii. it showed on my canon raw file.

    first u shoot in raw, and u adjust for the lightings lar. u know. basic stuff.

    i used a black bg for the shot. ur infinitesweep type. it comes as a set.

    now i open up photoshop, (i'm using cs3;D wrong guess again!)
    i edit the raw file, using the blacks control, i'm able to cause the cloth to lose all its detail and to be viewed as pure black. good thing is that ur image dun lose much detail as its mainly white.

    so i get a black bg!

    the only major photoshop part was just the reflection actually. the rest is pretty close to original image. ;D

    regarding the dolls ...

    i go taiwan 9 years in a row LOL i'm quite aware of their existance;D

    though never personally watch it before.

    ya know if u stay near my house or something maybe could drop by to try or or something (:

    oh yes. pictures on hte blog: nike is from a continuous lighting set. so is domokun. the nds was a normal flash shot, head on flash i was focusing more on photoshop at that point. i didnt even use a proper sweep for nds ~~
    shoot raw, adjust lighting and white balance i know that...cause that what i have doing for all my shoots...

    I am using CS4...but not that often...dont edit much on background and CS4 is pretty complicated till now...i still scratch head...

    I just been to taiwan last jul'09 and manage watch some episodes during my holiday trip...and got addicted after i come back to singapore i have been searching high and low for the show and dolls.....

    So the pictures below using what kind of lighting??
    http://pics11.blog.yam.com/19/userfi...8bbdf4ad0d.jpg
    http://pics11.blog.yam.com/17/userfi...36b51ca136.jpg
    Last edited by rysouke; 10th January 2010 at 09:36 PM.
    500D/50mm f1.4/90mm macro/17-55mm/EX580 II
    My flickr

  20. #20

    Default Re: Some doubt about studio lighting photography

    Quote Originally Posted by rysouke View Post

    So the pictures below using what kind of lighting??
    looks simple enough for hotshoe flash.

    bounced it from right side top down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •