Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

  1. #1
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?



    I tried dropping the red curve a little but it's still not quite there yet...any pro out there can advise?

  2. #2
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    last view this thread has 97 ppl view but none responded...
    Just any discussion to spark creativity will do....but dun suggest me to turn to film coz post processing film needs $$+time+skills I don't have....

  3. #3

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    desaturate the skin colour? cooler tones instead of warmer tones? More contrast?

  4. #4
    Senior Member dorts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    2,174

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    It looks pretty normal to me. Could be the lighting conditions at that time. Maybe try slight underexposure and probably with a tinge of cool-ness.

    Why not you show which photo you are using?

  5. #5

    Smile Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Let film be film and digital be digital. So many photographers are using different brands from nikons to canons to Olympus to pentax or fuji cause they all produce different tones. Many still stick to film and different film cameras, different film types also because of certain film qualities that can't be duplicated by digital cameras. You can try reducing red, adding cyan and etc to make it close to the above but don't expect 100%. it's better if you can attach ur digital image so we know what to adjust to make it look like the film shot above. Still, I'll prefer to let film be film and digital be digital and we all spend more time shooting rather than retouching.

  6. #6
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post


    I tried dropping the red curve a little but it's still not quite there yet...any pro out there can advise?
    try color balance? and zeng the blue a bit more. along with a bit green. while shadows keep redder?

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    here
    Posts
    1,350

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    How do you know for sure that the picture was shot with a digital camera?

    I believe many people here can mimic that effect with SOME (or most maybe?) of the photos that they have taken. If you don't show us the photo you're working on, we can't help you much really. It takes a lot of work when I try to get a "film effect" and to make it even harder, each lighting condition etc requires a whole different approach (at least the way I do it).

    And that is also probably why not many people bothered replying.

  8. #8

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    How do you know for sure that the picture was shot with a digital camera?

    I believe many people here can mimic that effect with SOME (or most maybe?) of the photos that they have taken. If you don't show us the photo you're working on, we can't help you much really. It takes a lot of work when I try to get a "film effect" and to make it even harder, each lighting condition etc requires a whole different approach (at least the way I do it).

    And that is also probably why not many people bothered replying.


    From the first glance, you might play around with the green and blue.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

  9. #9

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    use film save the time on the computer.
    5DMk2,400D,EOS3 50mm F1.4,28-75 F2.8,GRDIII 28mm F1.9
    www.flickr.com/jenson_goh

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    If you're referring to this kind of effect



    You have to boost the blue and green channel. As for brightness and contrast - it's a trial and error thing.

    There's no fixed formula like boost blue 20, green 15, brightness by 10 and contrast by -5 but you can always use them as a guideline to achieve similar effect.

    Looking at the photo - there is some high contrast, sharpness, and maybe some slight desaturation going on. You might want to start there. Good luck !
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  11. #11
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Quote Originally Posted by sebianos View Post
    If you're referring to this kind of effect



    You have to boost the blue and green channel. As for brightness and contrast - it's a trial and error thing.

    There's no fixed formula like boost blue 20, green 15, brightness by 10 and contrast by -5 but you can always use them as a guideline to achieve similar effect.

    Looking at the photo - there is some high contrast, sharpness, and maybe some slight desaturation going on. You might want to start there. Good luck !
    yep. same as my guess. but from the first pic he post, shadows seems to be on the redder side. so dun just zeng blue and green. add red as shadows too~~

  12. #12
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?



    okkies. somethign like this?

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Central Singapore
    Posts
    577

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post


    okkies. somethign like this?
    LOL.... you're making me thirsty for a coke now. Yup, just play around with the RGB channels first. TS has disappeared...
    Panasonic FZ28 Shooter
    flickr

  14. #14

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    xpro

    go and google with this: "cross process site:clubsnap.com"

    if that fails, try "xpro site:clubsnap.com"

    go and play with the RGB curves, have fun.

  15. #15

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    xpro

    go and google with this: "cross process site:clubsnap.com"

    if that fails, try "xpro site:clubsnap.com"

    go and play with the RGB curves, have fun.
    HAHA! I wonder whether all the photos on clubsnap will start having weird colors and have that film look to it.

  16. #16
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Just curious...
    Is that lady in the pic Kholee?

  17. #17
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Hi Shaoken, I dunno this gal...ha...I just chanced upon this photo anf feel the film produce very nice tone yet not exactly post process.

  18. #18
    Senior Member ovaltinemilo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Sin jia Po lah
    Posts
    2,820

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Hi joshuachan28 ,

    don't worry bout tat i guess...clubsnap will still hve a wide variety of tones going on...wat i like may not be wat others like... Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestion...just a thought on how to produce the tone...not exactly debating over film vs digital for some guys ya...anyway, this also show film still has some ways that digital can't do...having edge of each own...

  19. #19
    Senior Member Anson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    ansonchew.com
    Posts
    8,210

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    U can try a PS plugin called Exposure 2 from alienskin... have fun.

  20. #20
    Deregistered shaoken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clementi/West Coast
    Posts
    2,115

    Default Re: How to achieve this film tone using CS3 digitally?

    Quote Originally Posted by ovaltinemilo View Post
    Hi Shaoken, I dunno this gal...ha...I just chanced upon this photo anf feel the film produce very nice tone yet not exactly post process.
    Oh ok..
    Maybe you can try photoscape..


    Link: http://www.photoscape.org/ps/main/download.php

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •