Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 160

Thread: Foreign talents... are they ok?

  1. #121

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    seriously...u want FT to be SAF commandos.....u serious or not?

    other than that...i guess all those gold medals in the olympics were by locals....hmmm..........
    1 US top sportmen join the marines in Afghanistan got killed by friendly fire last year, so no reason why FTs cannot serves.

  2. #122
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    1 US top sportmen join the marines in Afghanistan got killed by friendly fire last year, so no reason why FTs cannot serves.
    cause singapore if go war is almost sure lose one. just that their side also will lose a lot. battle won, war is lost.

  3. #123

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by tehzeh View Post
    Hmm, I do think that Foreign talents are okay. But foreign talents(外來人才)and foreign people (外來人源)are different...

    And I also think that Singapore could survive without Foreign talents, as evident in Singapore becoming one of the Four Asian Tigers. But with Foreign talents, it would be easier to a certain extent. As the world has became an integrated place to live, and countries need Foreign talents to compete with the other countries.

    imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    that is the definition of champions...go anywhere, win anywhere.....anyway...nice talking to u guys. nite.

    last word: before the others are judged, please walk a mile in their shoes. that way, if they disagree, u'll have their shoe...and ur a mile away!
    The following is a articles from The Straits Times Forum, please read and think about it.

    Punish disloyal foreign sport talent

    With the spate of letters debating the issue of the foreign sports talent scheme, it seems everyone has long forgotten our disloyal runaway foreign imported paddler, Zhang Xueling, as well as a problem footballer & a third, a problem shot putter.

    Does granting this talent citizenship, & rewarding them lucratively for the medals they earn for Singapore, imply they will remain loyal to Singapore & stay put to represent the country as long as they are physically & mentally capable.

    Zhang answers this question.
    After winning medals in the Asian, Commonwealth & the South-east Asian Games, she called it quits in the prime of her career & left Singapore.

    Let's compare Zhang's example with the case reported on Monday of the Norwegian brothers, who are born here but left when they were still young. They cannot return to Singapore because rgey defaulted on their national service ("Give up citizenship? Brothers must do NS first")

    Shouldn't the Singapore Sports Council apply the same ruling to similarly disloyal foreign sports talent who decide to give up on us in the prime of their career?

    It is only just that certain terms & punishment be imposed on these disloyal foreign imports if they decide to give up citizenship & stop playing for Singapore after the country has spent so much effort & money to mature & reward them. This is also only fair to devoted sports followers & taxpayers.

    However, rather than resolve these problems, I feel the foreign sports talent scheme should be abolished to avoid these possible hassles. It is high time we started spotting & maturing local sports talent instead.

    By Vernon Sim in 30 Aug 2008 The Straits Times Forum

  4. #124
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    The following is a articles from The Straits Times Forum, please read and think about it.

    Punish disloyal foreign sport talent

    With the spate of letters debating the issue of the foreign sports talent scheme, it seems everyone has long forgotten our disloyal runaway foreign imported paddler, Zhang Xueling, as well as a problem footballer & a third, a problem shot putter.

    Does granting this talent citizenship, & rewarding them lucratively for the medals they earn for Singapore, imply they will remain loyal to Singapore & stay put to represent the country as long as they are physically & mentally capable.

    Zhang answers this question.
    After winning medals in the Asian, Commonwealth & the South-east Asian Games, she called it quits in the prime of her career & left Singapore.

    Let's compare Zhang's example with the case reported on Monday of the Norwegian brothers, who are born here but left when they were still young. They cannot return to Singapore because rgey defaulted on their national service ("Give up citizenship? Brothers must do NS first")

    Shouldn't the Singapore Sports Council apply the same ruling to similarly disloyal foreign sports talent who decide to give up on us in the prime of their career?

    It is only just that certain terms & punishment be imposed on these disloyal foreign imports if they decide to give up citizenship & stop playing for Singapore after the country has spent so much effort & money to mature & reward them. This is also only fair to devoted sports followers & taxpayers.

    However, rather than resolve these problems, I feel the foreign sports talent scheme should be abolished to avoid these possible hassles. It is high time we started spotting & maturing local sports talent instead.

    By Vernon Sim in 30 Aug 2008 The Straits Times Forum
    yep. u take my money, u win glory for u, and u run away. get back here and do ur ns first LOL. its really cheap for them already.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by theonlyone View Post
    If you say some of those who come has nothing to contribute, low skill level, can't speak english, I'm sure you can find a lot of singaporeans who are worse off.
    first.
    Locals with low skill and langauge problems are peoples born in 50s & 60s. I dun pissed them off because they served NS with a red or purple name tag, so FTs do NS and Reservice
    I you.

  6. #126
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Locals with low skill and langauge problems are peoples born in 50s & 60s. I dun pissed them off because they served NS with a red or purple name tag, so FTs do NS and Reservice
    I you.
    LOL. u know, i kinda dread ns myself. cause i'm not physically strong. i think one weakness for us youngsters are we really getting weak.

    yet again hearing stories of old soldiers who brew coffees for their sirs' with their socks? man. i think ns is cool

    see. so confusing.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ee. useless people. LOL
    really?

    how about the students complaining about foreign students being "older" and "chao muggers" and they always top the school?

    they always miss out the fact that the china students have such a huge barrier in front of them - english. i once had a friend from china in my primary school. when i first met him his english was watery. by the end of a year, his vocabulary was seriously powerful, and he spoke english fluently. all while doing great in maths, science, chinese, whatever. he was the same age, btw.

    why don't we take the chance to learn some of the spirit from them? and also, at the same time, if they have bad habits, caution them in a friendly manner, learn not to adopt those bad habits too.

  8. #128

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by GDSNP View Post
    So we still call it meritocracy when we give certain groups of people advantage? Hmmm.. Doesn't that sounds suspiciously like the Bumiputra policy that our neighbour practices??
    no, i think singaporeans want "structured meritocracy", animal farm style

    all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others, because they were born in this farm

  9. #129

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdzmr View Post
    Hahaha, this foreign talent issue never end. Why? Because our locals are too choosy in applying jobs even though still jobless but still choosy, reason pay not attractive, too long hour no time to spend with family, cannot do overtime, cannot work on weekend. These are the reasons why some companies more rely on FT. So don't blame them for flooding our country, on the other hand blame ourselves.
    i know of local graduates who refuse to take jobs, reason being that the pay is too low. and this is with a reasonable starting pay of $2.6-$2.7K.

    in the end, they rather become telemarketer. i guess we all know how much that pays.

    the conculsion in my mind? nothing to do with the pay. more to do with working hours and responsibilities.

  10. #130

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yea. but then again, those are students who have a severe background. i agree that they are hardworking, but is it fair for our own students to compete with someone older? (:
    1 -2 years age makes a big difference?

    believe you me, primary school is not where you see a wide gap.

    age is just an excuse, we will never run out of those, it is far easier to blame something you cannot control, when it is nothing at all.. than to blame yourself, look in the mirror, and tell yourself "i need to play less".

    they have a future to work for, poor backgrounds to break out of. singaporean students have an inheritance to collect. i once browsed HWZ EDMW on a whim.. opened a thread where someone was complaining about his father telling him that "you continue this way in your studies, you will never get to drive a car, no backbone!"

    after a while, he commented with some expletives "never mind, he just wait, i will inherit his car" SO WIN!!!

  11. #131

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post

    cause most of them are PRC SCHOLARS. they are expected to go back to their own country to further develop.

    now that brings us another question: how will this benefit singapore?
    how does it benefit singapore?

    do you really need to ask? if you do, then you are not thinking enough.

  12. #132

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Unlike FTs, not much Singaporean parents will let their children to train hours of hours in sports. If FTs youngers are much more "superior" than local, then all FTs boys of military age should be in Infantry units not serving in CD opening the boots of cars going out of Singapore at ICA checkpoints during Mas Selamas period. All serving in Commando units are Singapore Man. Singapore Man
    rubbish.

    i know of many prc students in my schools who participated in way more extra activites than me.

    btw, are you commando? if not, you are not singapore man.

  13. #133
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i'm not sure we have.

    if you look at it, my generation compared to my parents' generation, it is not maturity in play that explains the difference. it is circumstance. in the earlier days life was not such a simple matter - people had to fight for a future.

    today, because the people who had to fight for a future want the best for their next generation.. more often than not, things are granted, genie-style. i once met an elderly couple at the age of 50+ who were still giving their children (of working age AND working, mind you) an hefty monthly allowance because "aiyo, their starting pay not enough to sustain their lifestyle".
    Hey sorry for the late reply.
    Mmm.. agree with you on the part that parents still giving money to some spoon-fed people.
    Maybe I can clarify myself a little more.
    I am talking about a superficial identity - way we speak with our Singlish accent, the way we would anticipate Singaporeans to behave when out on the street, at buffet, etc..

    Even today our good friend MM Lee says on an interview with National Geographic that Singapore is a nation that is still in the building. It will take a few hundred more years for nation building to be done.

    My goodness....

  14. #134

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    But you can deny the fact that certain foreigner workers arent really talents after all. And most of us have this misconception that foreign workers = foreign talents. Moreover, pple stereotyped. For instance, an Ang moh applied for a job and the probability of him getting the job is relatively higher compared to a local with similar qualification. And there are a huge influx of china workers working as waiter and waitresses who themselves couldn't converse in Simple English. I am a Chinese so I understand and get what I want. BUt how about other races who dont understand Chinese. I mean if you really want PRC to work here, why not have an English proficiency test before thay can work here.
    Passion for Photography

  15. #135
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    LOL. u know, i kinda dread ns myself. cause i'm not physically strong. i think one weakness for us youngsters are we really getting weak.

    yet again hearing stories of old soldiers who brew coffees for their sirs' with their socks? man. i think ns is cool

    see. so confusing.
    You know, allenleonhart... sometimes I think the perceived weakening of the younger generation is 'cultivated' by their own parents.
    How I wish I am wrong, but more than a decent number of times, I have encountered parents who only know how to help their children 'siam' NS rather than doing the right thing - telling their precious child: "Stop whining, and you jolly well go and serve your duty to your country like a big man, or you get whacked by me!".

    We need not only children, but parents and even grandparents who are in line with the national culture of NE (National Education). That is the kind of attitude we need. From everyone.

    No wonder MM Lee said what he said today in the newspapers.
    How to build a nation with mentally and physically weak younger generation? Of course, of course, I don't mean to generalise. There are still many a good young man/woman out there...

  16. #136

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    I suggest that you skip this for the GP unless you won't mind sinking into abyss with it. This is a highly sensitive topic and requires alot of tact in writing. Secondly, the topic is so wide with so many factors to discuss, I doubt it can even be satisfactorily skim through in 15,000 words. There're in depth issues like effect on GDP (requires knowledge in Economics), statistical data to prove your point (Statistical skills), thoughts from different schools and scholars including modern and past (Sociology Knowledge). In addition, you need to illustrate your point by giving companies who uses and don't use foreign hires and their circumstances (Strategy) and you'll need to touch on the effect on the bottom line (Accounting Knowledge) Then you need concrete examples of systems adopted by different countries (Political Science/ History) to compare, contrast, deliberate, sythesize and pre-conclude. You may not have the time and resources even to research your writing not to mention to actually write it. However, it seems like you already have an answer before deliberating which will become a noticeable but glaring bias in the writing approach. If really want a topic, you should choose something that you know well, have neutral opinion on and that you have the resources to research on what to discuss. Most importantly, you must chose a topic that is writable.

    Sorry to break the bubble, just my opinion.
    Last edited by eyes; 12th January 2010 at 05:47 AM.
    Tum podem extulit horridulum...日出東方﹐唯我不敗。

  17. #137

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    1 US top sportmen join the marines in Afghanistan got killed by friendly fire last year, so no reason why FTs cannot serves.
    Because he is American, so why can't he join the American army???

    all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others, because they were born in this farm
    Ah, Orwell... I want to be pig!

    But you can deny the fact that certain foreigner workers arent really talents after all. And most of us have this misconception that foreign workers = foreign talents. Moreover, pple stereotyped. For instance, an Ang moh applied for a job and the probability of him getting the job is relatively higher compared to a local with similar qualification. And there are a huge influx of china workers working as waiter and waitresses who themselves couldn't converse in Simple English. I am a Chinese so I understand and get what I want. BUt how about other races who dont understand Chinese. I mean if you really want PRC to work here, why not have an English proficiency test before thay can work here.
    Ang moh white mah, wear tie, talk c*ck = WIN

    As I said way earlier, if they can speak English do you think they'll still be coming here?

  18. #138
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by chikubang View Post
    And there are a huge influx of china workers working as waiter and waitresses who themselves couldn't converse in Simple English. I am a Chinese so I understand and get what I want. BUt how about other races who dont understand Chinese. I mean if you really want PRC to work here, why not have an English proficiency test before thay can work here.
    They are here to raise the standard of chinese language
    unfortunately their standard so high I go hungry ordering food from them so I have to go eat prata

  19. #139
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    assuming they are willing to ditch their grandma grandpa, father mother and the rest of family.

    worst will be, they earn here and send money back ~~
    That their intention, make money here.

    Most my FT collegue in my office did that, they willingly everyday eat bread or cup noodles or cook their own food. Most of them hoping to serve the company in long terms, they even bring along their family here and get their kids education here. This because our standard of education and also income is very much higher compare to their country.

  20. #140

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdzmr View Post
    That their intention, make money here.

    Most my FT collegue in my office did that, they willingly everyday eat bread or cup noodles or cook their own food. Most of them hoping to serve the company in long terms, they even bring along their family here and get their kids education here. This because our standard of education and also income is very much higher compare to their country.
    This is so true. The main goal of FT going SG is to earn money. sorry to disagree but i don't think SG income is really higher compared to other country.. yes if you will compare notes by notes then it is off course very obvious that SG income is high but if you will compute the spending and earnings + the cost of living here in SG its just almost the same.

    but we have to agree that tax in sg lower than other country.

    SG lives in an ecosystem.. it needs help from FT and vice versa and in return FT gets paid... and relationships that are destructive don't help anybody in SG industry as it is today.
    and its very remarkable how SG combines all of these races together in building its nation for progress
    Last edited by laposto; 12th January 2010 at 11:38 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 25678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •