Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 160

Thread: Foreign talents... are they ok?

  1. #101
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and only if the FTs are staying. what i'm only afraid of is, study finish dun stay here, fly back to their country and be a god. leaving us er. talently deficient LOL

    cause most of them are PRC SCHOLARS. they are expected to go back to their own country to further develop.

    now that brings us another question: how will this benefit singapore?
    First of all our currency rate is high compare to theirs. And then if they can earn 5 times or more here compare to their homeland so what the point of going back. And they even can settle down here with good life rather than back there & do the same old thing. Even though graduated here doesn't mean able to get good job prospect at their homeland. You can see how easily they can get citizenship here and with a stable job.

  2. #102
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdzmr View Post
    First of all our currency rate is high compare to theirs. And then if they can earn 5 times or more here compare to their homeland so what the point of going back. And they even can settle down here with good life rather than back there & do the same old thing. Even though graduated here doesn't mean able to get good job prospect at their homeland. You can see how easily they can get citizenship here and with a stable job.
    assuming they are willing to ditch their grandma grandpa, father mother and the rest of family.

    worst will be, they earn here and send money back ~~

  3. #103

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    hmmm.......being older means they better than the younger ones? thus winning out in the education rat race? wow...this is a very...pathetic excuse...the root cause is simple: they (the ft children) are far more diligent.

    and speaking of Ft come here, study, then go back to own country...hmmm....isn't this what some of singaporeans have done too? they go to other country to study under scholarship, and then come back home. how does that compare to the Ft coming here to study leh? one more thing, why talking about them coming here oni and sending money back to their own country but never say about how some singaporeans are working abroad and sending money back to singapore leh? double standard ar??

    singaporeans are a protected lot...talk of wanting meritocracy-but oni if singaporeans gets first dibs. this is meritocracy meh? more like north-country-styled-discriminative-action.
    Last edited by shiruikage; 11th January 2010 at 08:03 PM.
    おれのflickrださ

  4. #104
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    hmmm.......being older means they better than the younger ones? thus winning out in the education rat race? wow...this is a very...pathetic excuse...the root cause is simple: they (the ft children) are far more diligent.

    and speaking of Ft come here, study, then go back to own country...hmmm....isn't this what some of singaporeans have done too? they go to other country to study under scholarship, and then come back home. how does that compare to the Ft coming here to study leh? one more thing, why talking about them coming here oni and sending money back to their own country but never say about how some singaporeans are working abroad and sending money back to singapore leh? double standard ar??

    singaporeans are a protected lot...talk of wanting meritocracy-but oni if singaporeans gets first dibs. this is meritocracy meh? more like north-country-styled-discriminative-action.

    well. i'm not saying all are not dilligent. i mean face it. out of the wad. 1mil studying cohort, u tell me dun have enough people who can fight against the FTs?
    singaporeans have small local economy. just a bit money outflow hurts us more than money outflow from china which has a big local economy. its a big difference.
    it isnt double standard. just look. USA has stated that china has been exporting more than importing. money goes to them than it comes out. wad does this say?

    meritocracy means best people gets the best jobs. provided ur competiting in a fair enviroment. ~~

    though i gotta admit. singaporeans are indeed getting jelly. wish they would get their fighting spirit back
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 11th January 2010 at 08:22 PM.

  5. #105

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    well. i'm not saying all are not dilligent. i mean face it. out of the wad. 1mil studying cohort, u tell me dun have enough people who can fight against the FTs?
    singaporeans have small local economy. just a bit money outflow hurts us more than money outflow from china which has a big local economy. its a big difference.
    it isnt double standard. just look. USA has stated that china has been exporting more than importing. money goes to them than it comes out. wad does this say?

    meritocracy means best people gets the best jobs. provided ur competiting in a fair enviroment. ~~
    true. not everyone is diligent. and face it oso...the really diligent singaporeans were targeted by the gahmen for scholarships and fast foward their education to go to overseas. the creme de la crop is not studying where the ft has a chance to study lor. <--not sure about this...lol.

    it is double standard. in politics, usa calling china is hogging all the action is like a school bully telling the teacher the bullied is too clever. if u remember, singapore also has more money flowing into the country than money flowing out...even accounting for the money remitted by FTs here.

    and for ur comment in blue...very true. the gist of the principle. now tell me something, consider this situation: FT if they want to enroll in a local school, has to pay double the school fee. they have second dibs at earning a place oni after the locals have their pick. they came from a foreign country, thus does not necessary speak english or chinese well, and yet they study in a local school where the medium of instruction is english or chinese. the score stands at locals 3 to FT 0. is this fair playing ground?

    sure, local school is built to cater to local students, paid for by the taxes...but know oso that PRs pay taxes as well, as do all FT who works here...granted, local school is for local students (or if u want, local company is for local workers...if they willing...) so oni a handful of school actually accepts FTs, but despite this, the FT are doing better...this begs the question: why, despite all the odds against them, do they still do so well?

    and did u know that being the child of FT (i'm assuming PRs), they are liable for NS? is this the citizen requirement?

    edit: saw ur edit...yeah...a plate of jell-o...lol!
    おれのflickrださ

  6. #106
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    true. not everyone is diligent. and face it oso...the really diligent singaporeans were targeted by the gahmen for scholarships and fast foward their education to go to overseas. the creme de la crop is not studying where the ft has a chance to study lor. <--not sure about this...lol.

    it is double standard. in politics, usa calling china is hogging all the action is like a school bully telling the teacher the bullied is too clever. if u remember, singapore also has more money flowing into the country than money flowing out...even accounting for the money remitted by FTs here.

    and for ur comment in blue...very true. the gist of the principle. now tell me something, consider this situation: FT if they want to enroll in a local school, has to pay double the school fee. they have second dibs at earning a place oni after the locals have their pick. they came from a foreign country, thus does not necessary speak english or chinese well, and yet they study in a local school where the medium of instruction is english or chinese. the score stands at locals 3 to FT 0. is this fair playing ground?

    sure, local school is built to cater to local students, paid for by the taxes...but know oso that PRs pay taxes as well, as do all FT who works here...granted, local school is for local students (or if u want, local company is for local workers...if they willing...) so oni a handful of school actually accepts FTs, but despite this, the FT are doing better...this begs the question: why, despite all the odds against them, do they still do so well?

    and did u know that being the child of FT (i'm assuming PRs), they are liable for NS? is this the citizen requirement?

    edit: saw ur edit...yeah...a plate of jell-o...lol!
    yep ns ~~ cause u child u born in singapore u take up singapore citizenship i think. is it? i dunno. need ppl comfirm. if so hor then is bobian. cause he is ownself ppl LOL

  7. #107

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yep ns ~~ cause u child u born in singapore u take up singapore citizenship i think. is it? i dunno. need ppl comfirm. if so hor then is bobian. cause he is ownself ppl LOL
    yeah...then again, ppl want to talk about his father/mother...how....sigh....

    i feel that if we want to criticize them, we first have to consider IF we are the one going to other country, and doing the things they are doing in singapore, and hear wat how the locals there say us...then come back home...

    confucious says: before judging someone, first walk a mile in their shoes...
    おれのflickrださ

  8. #108

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    and did u know that being the child of FT (i'm assuming PRs), they are liable for NS? is this the citizen requirement?
    Children of PR living in SG who are themselves PRs have to serve NS, though many will run-off back to their home country just before being called up. This is one thing the SG govt must be tough on, currently there is no penalty for this. My friend is planning to do this with her kid.

    To be citizen you must become PR for min 2 years, then serve NS as part of the requirements.

  9. #109
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Children of PR living in SG who are themselves PRs have to serve NS, though many will run-off back to their home country just before being called up. This is one thing the SG govt must be tough on, currently there is no penalty for this. My friend is planning to do this with her kid.

    To be citizen you must become PR for min 2 years, then serve NS as part of the requirements.
    thank you for this update;D at least now we know

  10. #110

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Anyway, just sharing something here that is relevant to the discussion. Recently MM Lee attended a business forum in Japan, and was asked for his opinion on the ailing Japanese economy (almost 30 years depression) and the socio-economic effects of plunging birth-rates (almost 50% of Japanese today are senior citizens).

    He gave 2 suggestions to fix the Japanese economy:
    1. Arrest the declining birth rate by having more babies. It's the young ppl who spend money and keep the local economy moving (old men no need iphone, ipod, ps3, car etc). But (as MM Lee points out) having and raising kids is expensive, even with cash incentives like baby bonus. And it takes roughly 20 years until the kids grow up, work and contribute back to the economy, so "operation making babies" is more of a long-term, continuous effort.

    2. Make it easier for foreigners to become Japanese citizens. Japan is notoriously xenophobic, they have this mentality that foreigners will "pollute" their culture. I saw this documentary recently where Japanese children abandoned in China during/after WW2 and raised by Chinese parents were treated like 3rd class citizens: not given full citizenship, cannot work etc simply because they were raised by foreigners.

    It's quite obvious that SG faces an almost similar challenge as Japan, and both measures have been undertaken in SG for quite some time to avoid what has happened in Japan from happening here.

  11. #111

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by mdzmr View Post
    Because our locals are too choosy in applying jobs even though still jobless but still choosy, reason pay not attractive, too long hour no time to spend with family, cannot do overtime, cannot work on weekend. These are the reasons why some companies more rely on FT. So don't blame them for flooding our country, on the other hand blame ourselves.
    So think it over.
    Bro think it over again, when we:
    Work long hours (14hrs a day) go home no more ENERGY to make BABY.
    Work overtime no extra pay cos basic pay too high
    Weekend still need to go back to Office for Free working cos under staff

    I do work together with FTs in my workplace, we employ FTs as promoters, storemen, clerks & etc because Singaporean has more better options as they are more educated nowaday. Beside, (take note) most of them are good pretenders and ball carriers.

    If they can do as in Rome do as Roman I have no say.

  12. #112
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by cks2k2 View Post
    Anyway, just sharing something here that is relevant to the discussion. Recently MM Lee attended a business forum in Japan, and was asked for his opinion on the ailing Japanese economy (almost 30 years depression) and the socio-economic effects of plunging birth-rates (almost 50% of Japanese today are senior citizens).

    He gave 2 suggestions to fix the Japanese economy:
    1. Arrest the declining birth rate by having more babies. It's the young ppl who spend money and keep the local economy moving (old men no need iphone, ipod, ps3, car etc). But (as MM Lee points out) having and raising kids is expensive, even with cash incentives like baby bonus. And it takes roughly 20 years until the kids grow up, work and contribute back to the economy, so "operation making babies" is more of a long-term, continuous effort.

    2. Make it easier for foreigners to become Japanese citizens. Japan is notoriously xenophobic, they have this mentality that foreigners will "pollute" their culture. I saw this documentary recently where Japanese children abandoned in China during/after WW2 and raised by Chinese parents were treated like 3rd class citizens: not given full citizenship, cannot work etc simply because they were raised by foreigners.

    It's quite obvious that SG faces an almost similar challenge as Japan, and both measures have been undertaken in SG for quite some time to avoid what has happened in Japan from happening here.
    hehe. as usual the old willy fox is the smartest.

    but he understands that its FTS---> japanese citizens, not foreigners in japan that makes the difference.

    long term run rely on second option isnt gonna work. first will benifit long term. second will only immediate effect. long term will be devastating.

  13. #113

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Bro think it over again, when we:
    Work long hours (14hrs a day) go home no more ENERGY to make BABY.
    Work overtime no extra pay cos basic pay too high
    Weekend still need to go back to Office for Free working cos under staff

    I do work together with FTs in my workplace, we employ FTs as promoters, storemen, clerks & etc because Singaporean has more better options as they are more educated nowaday. Beside, (take note) most of them are good pretenders and ball carriers.

    If they can do as in Rome do as Roman I have no say.
    hahahhahahah!!!!!!! hear hear!!!!!!
    おれのflickrださ

  14. #114
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    hahahhahahah!!!!!!! hear hear!!!!!!
    oh my this is funny (:

  15. #115

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder_fan View Post
    Actually, I do think that when it comes to studies, sports etc, FTs are 'superior' to locals.
    Studies - FTs students from China in Singapore top schools are specially selected, they are the best of the best in their host countries. Many FTs students from China in heartland schools are suck, they are here so their mothers can "陪读" to work here. MOE highlight the top FTs students and never mentioned the suck FTs students.
    Sports - Unlike FTs, not much Singaporean parents will let their children to train hours of hours in sports. If FTs youngers are much more "superior" than local, then all FTs boys of military age should be in Infantry units not serving in CD opening the boots of cars going out of Singapore at ICA checkpoints during Mas Selamas period. All serving in Commando units are Singapore Man. Singapore Man

    Please look at the bigger angles.

  16. #116
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Studies - FTs students from China in Singapore top schools are specially selected, they are the best of the best in their host countries. Many FTs students from China in heartland schools are suck, they are here so their mothers can "陪读" to work here. MOE highlight the top FTs students and never mentioned the suck FTs students.
    Sports - Unlike FTs, not much Singaporean parents will let their children to train hours of hours in sports. If FTs youngers are much more "superior" than local, then all FTs boys of military age should be in Infantry units not serving in CD opening the boots of cars going out of Singapore at ICA checkpoints during Mas Selamas period. All serving in Commando units are Singapore Man. Singapore Man

    Please look at the bigger angles.
    hey nice (: never thought of it that way.

  17. #117

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jukon View Post
    Studies - FTs students from China in Singapore top schools are specially selected, they are the best of the best in their host countries. Many FTs students from China in heartland schools are suck, they are here so their mothers can "陪读" to work here. MOE highlight the top FTs students and never mentioned the suck FTs students.
    Sports - Unlike FTs, not much Singaporean parents will let their children to train hours of hours in sports. If FTs youngers are much more "superior" than local, then all FTs boys of military age should be in Infantry units not serving in CD opening the boots of cars going out of Singapore at ICA checkpoints during Mas Selamas period. All serving in Commando units are Singapore Man. Singapore Man

    Please look at the bigger angles.
    seriously...u want FT to be SAF commandos.....u serious or not?

    other than that...i guess all those gold medals in the olympics were by locals....hmmm..........
    おれのflickrださ

  18. #118
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    seriously...u want FT to be SAF commandos.....u serious or not?

    other than that...i guess all those gold medals in the olympics were by locals....hmmm..........
    yea locals. imported from mainland china, repackaged as singapore.

    ~~

    but they did put in effort. i have to acknowledge tat. even if not in singapore, they go anywhere, they will still be champions.

  19. #119

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yea locals. imported from mainland china, repackaged as singapore.

    ~~

    but they did put in effort. i have to acknowledge tat. even if not in singapore, they go anywhere, they will still be champions.
    that is the definition of champions...go anywhere, win anywhere.....anyway...nice talking to u guys. nite.

    last word: before the others are judged, please walk a mile in their shoes. that way, if they disagree, u'll have their shoe...and ur a mile away!
    おれのflickrださ

  20. #120
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by shiruikage View Post
    that is the definition of champions...go anywhere, win anywhere.....anyway...nice talking to u guys. nite.

    last word: before the others are judged, please walk a mile in their shoes. that way, if they disagree, u'll have their shoe...and ur a mile away!


    i gotta agree. at least they are champions. it doesnt matter where. hell theyshld make olympics a non nationality thing. and just let the champs fight it out.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •