Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 160

Thread: Foreign talents... are they ok?

  1. #81
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by laposto View Post
    good point but sometimes if angmo trying hard to be local they got bully... some auntie thought angmo mocking. errr so what do to?

    maybe FT just need to respect e policy and abide them at all cos.

    and at the very least must TRY to communicate. i prefer a vietnamese having slight problems communicating, but makes the effort to, as compare to a prc just plain stuck up speak chinese.

    not tat i targeting prcs. i'm ok one. just tat they happen to be the ones i see more often giving trouble =.=

  2. #82

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    every post election we have scaredy cat opposition candidates.

    most of time is WALK OVER
    You sure? Thought it is more of Singaporean always been too trusting over them....

    On the other hand, why don't you look at the kind of treatment, the leading party showering over the opposition....

  3. #83

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    and at the very least must TRY to communicate. i prefer a vietnamese having slight problems communicating, but makes the effort to, as compare to a prc just plain stuck up speak chinese.

    not tat i targeting prcs. i'm ok one. just tat they happen to be the ones i see more often giving trouble =.=
    i know what u mean


    watch this is hilarious:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxIJ9...rom=PL&index=8
    Last edited by laposto; 10th January 2010 at 08:03 PM.

  4. #84
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    You sure? Thought it is more of Singaporean always been too trusting over them....

    On the other hand, why don't you look at the kind of treatment, the leading party showering over the opposition....
    yea. =.= my grc is kenna walk over. i think jurong one also walk over.

    see. get pink ic, become 21.

    AND U KENNA WALKED OVER T_T tats so depressing hor

  5. #85

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    They are here to stay.

    They will become Singaporean in another decade!

    Singapore Indian orignated from India... just like our great great grandfather

    Singapore Chinese with origine from China... etc etc etc

    They/we now call themselves/ourselves Singaporeans

  6. #86
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    bukit batok
    Posts
    1,478

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yea. =.= my grc is kenna walk over. i think jurong one also walk over.
    same jurong one also walk over...what's the point of voting then ?
    especially when the men in white make it so expensive for the opposition to contest one area...

  7. #87

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Devils advocate.
    Why should Singaporeans every expect to have 'rights'? It is pretty much enshrined that Singapore is a meritocracy, or 'dog eat dog'.
    It has been like this since we were a young nation, and I think it'll always be this way.
    Those who cant make it to the top may really have to float elsewhere.
    Am I happy about this? Not extremely, but that is the nature of the new world isnít it? Protect the locals and you end up with similar social policies as those north of us.

    I do wish that they would learn to speak more English though. Ordering food is now an entire mime act.



    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ...
    but to wad extent can we minimise the need to rely on foreigners? not tat only pink ic holder lives in singapore idea. tats not possible. but rather. can we afford to have so many foreigners tat we dun lose out on our rights, or tat singapore remains socially stable?

  8. #88
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder_fan View Post
    Devils advocate.
    Why should Singaporeans every expect to have 'rights'? It is pretty much enshrined that Singapore is a meritocracy, or 'dog eat dog'.
    It has been like this since we were a young nation, and I think it'll always be this way.
    Those who cant make it to the top may really have to float elsewhere.
    Am I happy about this? Not extremely, but that is the nature of the new world isnít it? Protect the locals and you end up with similar social policies as those north of us.

    I do wish that they would learn to speak more English though. Ordering food is now an entire mime act.
    wad we meant as rights is: safety, ease of communication.

    while we may be meritocratic, we must still remember to give the singaporeans the edge to do better as compared to other counter parts, hard to phrase this lar. but u get the general idea.

    safety has always been an issue. ~~ google and u see a lot of incidents.

    sigh. singapore now like so screwed. as screwed as my school.

  9. #89

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    wad we meant as rights is: safety, ease of communication.

    while we may be meritocratic, we must still remember to give the singaporeans the edge to do better as compared to other counter parts, hard to phrase this lar. but u get the general idea.

    safety has always been an issue. ~~ google and u see a lot of incidents.

    sigh. singapore now like so screwed. as screwed as my school.
    So we still call it meritocracy when we give certain groups of people advantage? Hmmm.. Doesn't that sounds suspiciously like the Bumiputra policy that our neighbour practices??

    Safety issues? I think majority of the crime that's committed here are done by true blue born and bred here Singaporeans.

    I agree that Singapore is screwed because I'm beginning to see more and more xenophobic softies here who don't even dare to compete with the newcomers.
    When I do right, no one remembers. When I do wrong, no one ever forgets.

  10. #90

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    every post election we have scaredy cat opposition candidates.

    most of time is WALK OVER
    Is that your conclusion on that issue? Or is it due to a diet of the Straits Times?

  11. #91

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    'Safety' as a right for citizens I can accept. Not too sure if 'ease of communication' can be seen as a right though, as much as I'd personally desire it.
    And your subsequent comments are a tad confusing to me. If Singapore is meant to be a meritocracy, then why should 'singaporeans [be given] the edge to do better?' The fact of the matter may sadly be that we've become lazy as a nation, while others are just plain hungrier for jobs, wealth, education, a chance to make it elsewhere etc. We had our pioneer generation during the 60s, but we've had it relatively good since then.
    I think that every 'mature' country experiences this slow down, look at Japan with their youths, or even the US. We've had at least a generation of prosperity, and the hunger as abated.
    FT? They will settle here, cause friction as they integrate (like now), but finally will put down enough roots to tangibly change what it means to be 'singaporean*'.


    * On that topic, my notions of being 'singaporean' would likely differ greatly from what the govt thinks.


    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    wad we meant as rights is: safety, ease of communication.

    while we may be meritocratic, we must still remember to give the singaporeans the edge to do better as compared to other counter parts, hard to phrase this lar. but u get the general idea.

    safety has always been an issue. ~~ google and u see a lot of incidents.

    sigh. singapore now like so screwed. as screwed as my school.

  12. #92
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder_fan View Post
    'Safety' as a right for citizens I can accept. Not too sure if 'ease of communication' can be seen as a right though, as much as I'd personally desire it.
    And your subsequent comments are a tad confusing to me. If Singapore is meant to be a meritocracy, then why should 'singaporeans [be given] the edge to do better?' The fact of the matter may sadly be that we've become lazy as a nation, while others are just plain hungrier for jobs, wealth, education, a chance to make it elsewhere etc. We had our pioneer generation during the 60s, but we've had it relatively good since then.
    I think that every 'mature' country experiences this slow down, look at Japan with their youths, or even the US. We've had at least a generation of prosperity, and the hunger as abated.
    FT? They will settle here, cause friction as they integrate (like now), but finally will put down enough roots to tangibly change what it means to be 'singaporean*'.


    * On that topic, my notions of being 'singaporean' would likely differ greatly from what the govt thinks.
    okkies. i get wad u mean by confusing.

    okkies, just take an example: singaporeans and fts in schools. do realise that people who are performing better are arguably the FTs.

    however here lies a problem. FTs are naturally older, and we can safely assume that one grows more mature as one grows older. having our younger singaporeans compete with FTs, who are older than them and presumably, beating them at sports, studies, only serves to further deepen the idea that FTs are better than them, and companies wanna only get FTs. in a sense, FTs have this odd advantage over sch kids, as due to their age, they score better than people younger than them, and they get more chances to er get attachments, exposure to other stuff, (basically stuff u get when u got good results)

    does it help?

  13. #93
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jurong East
    Posts
    892

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Hahaha, this foreign talent issue never end. Why? Because our locals are too choosy in applying jobs even though still jobless but still choosy, reason pay not attractive, too long hour no time to spend with family, cannot do overtime, cannot work on weekend. These are the reasons why some companies more rely on FT. So don't blame them for flooding our country, on the other hand blame ourselves.

    I started to feel as I am a FT myself here. At my office itself almost 60% FT and been over ruled by those guys. Yesterday happened to be at Jurong Point and I feel that I was in Mustaffa Centre. Last week went to Golden Landmark and feel strange as though I was in Bangkok. Even if you when to Geylang Serai during weekend, you will feel that you are in Batam. That why i say I feel like a tourist to my own country. Hopefully no heart feeling to those FT around.

    What can the garmen do? Stop them from coming? If yes, who going to fill up those positions and those jobs which totally our singaporeans fellas feel so low-standard. Our fellas here always want to be so 'Atas'.

    So think it over.
    Last edited by mdzmr; 11th January 2010 at 06:50 PM.

  14. #94

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Actually, I do think that when it comes to studies, sports etc, FTs are 'superior' to locals. Hahaha Or at least, the results seem to indicate that. Whether age is a factor, Iíve no idea because I do not have kids.
    I donít really put a lot of weight into the age gaps though. Instead, Iíd put it down to their competitiveness to them having first made the decision to move over here. Then their large home population comes into play.
    Only those that are exceptional would even bother to leave their home cities and set up shop here. Note that these arent economic or political refugees, they moved here because they want to, and that desire is going make a difference. Same things for our locals who move overseas right? Being in a strange land may make you insular, and also drive you harder to succeed.
    Bottom line is that being Ďsingaporeaní will change, so we might as well get used to it.
    Not happy about this? Then compete with them, rather than to artifically attempt to boost the 'locals'.


    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    okkies. i get wad u mean by confusing.

    okkies, just take an example: singaporeans and fts in schools. do realise that people who are performing better are arguably the FTs.

    however here lies a problem. FTs are naturally older, and we can safely assume that one grows more mature as one grows older. having our younger singaporeans compete with FTs, who are older than them and presumably, beating them at sports, studies, only serves to further deepen the idea that FTs are better than them, and companies wanna only get FTs. in a sense, FTs have this odd advantage over sch kids, as due to their age, they score better than people younger than them, and they get more chances to er get attachments, exposure to other stuff, (basically stuff u get when u got good results)

    does it help?

  15. #95

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    okkies. i get wad u mean by confusing.

    okkies, just take an example: singaporeans and fts in schools. do realise that people who are performing better are arguably the FTs.

    however here lies a problem. FTs are naturally older, and we can safely assume that one grows more mature as one grows older. having our younger singaporeans compete with FTs, who are older than them and presumably, beating them at sports, studies, only serves to further deepen the idea that FTs are better than them, and companies wanna only get FTs. in a sense, FTs have this odd advantage over sch kids, as due to their age, they score better than people younger than them, and they get more chances to er get attachments, exposure to other stuff, (basically stuff u get when u got good results)

    does it help?
    The FT kids are beating local kids because they want it more. Age doesn't really have that much to do with it. My ex-housemate is PRC, doing PhD (chem eng) at 24 in NUS. He tells me of the life back home (farming in cold Northern China) and how he must work hard to get out of that harsh existence. He hardly sleeps, studies hard and everyday his meal is cup noodles. I don't think I can match his persistence.

  16. #96

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    The above two posts makes more sense.

    Quite a number of the foreign students, while older, are disadvantaged in the sense that english is not their natural language. They make up for it with diligence.

    I have seen a textbook translated into chinese by a student herself, so lets give credit when its due.

  17. #97
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    The above two posts makes more sense.

    Quite a number of the foreign students, while older, are disadvantaged in the sense that english is not their natural language. They make up for it with diligence.

    I have seen a textbook translated into chinese by a student herself, so lets give credit when its due.
    yea. but then again, those are students who have a severe background. i agree that they are hardworking, but is it fair for our own students to compete with someone older? (:

    i get wad u mean by dilligence. but does it mean all singaporeans do not face such pressure too? maybe the luckier ones i think. but for me myself, i dun think i'm like tat kind of person. i'm now half working half studying in jc haha. and i'm trying to keep pushing my limits to slowly take over each prc lol:X

    well. to end off with a comment made by my teacher:

    in this sch, all the top scorers are foreigners. however, i think ur class is one of the hard working ones. i can tell from ur results, some of u are dark horses, improving up to 3 grades for every subjects. keep up the good work and dun disgrace singapore ~~
    Last edited by allenleonhart; 11th January 2010 at 07:12 PM.

  18. #98

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yea. but then again, those are students who have a severe background. i agree that they are hardworking, but is it fair for our own students to compete with someone older? (:

    i get wad u mean by dilligence. but does it mean all singaporeans do not face such pressure too? maybe the luckier ones i think. but for me myself, i dun think i'm like tat kind of person. i'm now half working half studying in jc haha. and i'm trying to keep pushing my limits to slowly take over each prc lol:X

    well. to end off with a comment made by my teacher:

    in this sch, all the top scorers are foreigners. however, i think ur class is one of the hard working ones. i can tell from ur results, some of u are dark horses, improving up to 3 grades for every subjects. keep up the good work and dun disgrace singapore ~~
    I'm not sure how good your chinese is, cause mine sucks. hahah ......I just feel that if i were to be placed in a school where all subjects are taught in chinese, me being older than my classmates will not give me any advantage at all.

    Before i say more, how do you feel about your teachers comments?

  19. #99

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Nonsense. We are a nation of immigrants. Time does not stand still, and nor would the evolution of the nation. California has estimated that the majority of its residents would soon be native Spanish-speaking immigrants in a very short period, if it has not already happened. But hey, as long as they hold a green card or citizen papers, they have the same rights.
    FTs, if they want to take up residence here, well, go ahead and compete with the locals and perhaps even trounce them. They have that right as much as anyone else. Maybe the next generation of locals would then be hungrier for achievement.

    Or, plan to head off to a less stressful environment/country. The choice is always there.
    At the end of the day, the whole idea of a 'nation' is a false one created to fit the desire of humans to be in homogeneous groups.



    Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    ... dun disgrace singapore ~~

  20. #100
    Deregistered allenleonhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    3,656
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rangefinder_fan View Post
    Nonsense. We are a nation of immigrants. Time does not stand still, and nor would the evolution of the nation. California has estimated that the majority of its residents would soon be native Spanish-speaking immigrants in a very short period, if it has not already happened. But hey, as long as they hold a green card or citizen papers, they have the same rights.
    FTs, if they want to take up residence here, well, go ahead and compete with the locals and perhaps even trounce them. They have that right as much as anyone else. Maybe the next generation of locals would then be hungrier for achievement.

    Or, plan to head off to a less stressful environment/country. The choice is always there.
    At the end of the day, the whole idea of a 'nation' is a false one created to fit the desire of humans to be in homogeneous groups.
    and only if the FTs are staying. what i'm only afraid of is, study finish dun stay here, fly back to their country and be a god. leaving us er. talently deficient LOL

    cause most of them are PRC SCHOLARS. they are expected to go back to their own country to further develop.

    now that brings us another question: how will this benefit singapore?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •