Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast

Thread: Foreign talents... are they ok?

Default Re: Foreign talents... are they ok?

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    == if u got nothing better to post and discuss dun bother posting pls. google cant give u the answer cause there isnt an official survey/study done in singapore abt it. at most u see is some young kiddo randomly posting and ranting only. what we expect here is real intellectual rigour !!
    Intellectual rigour in Kopitiam? Good luck

Seriously I mean what I said. And I don't mean just google. Do a search in Clubsnap and you'll get what I mean. Wait.. perhaps you should've done that before posting yet another FT thread where the end result is more or less gonna be the same: FT bashing.

:Later,
    Last edited by Pinoy; 9th January 2010 at 03:20 PM.

Blog Entries

no scare. i'll keep an eye on this thread. any form of FT bashing i'll put my foot down.

if i sense got this kind of rubbish i think i will request to close this thread. no worries

*edit. i can close thread. so not so worried

Quote Originally Posted by aeskywan View Post
    hmmmm....... very dangerous topic.............might led to FT bashing.....
    Well, aeskywan. Actually, no, not dangerous.
    As I felt, with a good dose of diplomacy and an earnest desire to engage in mature discussion, every time we discuss a foreign talent in a different thread, it surely will bring up new thoughts, new ideas.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    As I felt, with a good dose of diplomacy and an earnest desire to engage in mature discussion, every time we discuss a foreign talent in a different thread, it surely will bring up new thoughts, new ideas.
    yep. some stuff is better to be discussed openly. singaporeans have this problem of not wanting to say stuff. just complain. discussing it maturely and finding solutions often prove to be better than plain ranting.

I do agreed with brother Limwhow.
    Moreover, it does not help by avoiding the question/discussion. A healthy discussion will will bring up new thoughts, new ideas.

yep. some stuff is better to be discussed openly. singaporeans have this problem of not wanting to say stuff. just complain. discussing it maturely and finding solutions often prove to be better than plain ranting.
    The key issue is whether the man on TOP willing to listen or simply brush it aside....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    The key issue is whether the man on TOP willing to listen or simply brush it aside....
    anyone of us wanna be president? now good chance. say u promise u will do and we all vote for u ~~

u do realise our man on top if we dun agree to follow, assuming 5 mil of us dun want listen

he cant do anything ?

but we are complaining abt foreigners stealing jobs.
    Really? This again?

Seriously, where's the fighting spirit that put Singapore on the World Map in the first place.

Who's giving the jobs to the "FT"s? It's your very brotherly Singaporeans as well albeit far, far more well-off than you.

Who's this man at the TOP? Again, your very brotherly Singaporean albeit one that has far reaching visibility into the big picture.

You worry about the growth of Singapore, its future, its unified strength, etc etc. Well, let's put it this way. All I hear are whines, lots of moans and whines. And this isn't the Singapore the whole world knows, respects and admires.

Life is so hard ah? Too many true blooded Singaporeans migrating overseas? Perfect! That's Darwinism at its best! Singapore doesn't need pussies. Its a nation of smart, hard fighters. Want to chill, go live in M'sia, it's all good over there.

My son in future will serve in the army, and grow into a man. If one day he bitches and moans about Sanjeev or Ah-Zhou stealing his job and the government is so not fair to him, it's one tight slap coming from me to wake up his idea.

If he bitches about, wah, NUS also bloody hard to get in. Hey, you're bloody given every possible advantage and opportunities to excel over the poor ******* who hails from the slums of India. Go fight!!!

anyone of us wanna be president? now good chance. say u promise u will do and we all vote for u ~~

u do realise our man on top if we dun agree to follow, assuming 5 mil of us dun want listen

he cant do anything ?
    Well the answer is obvious, every post election period, what happened?
    A question to ponder about.

come on, whether local or foreigner also got black sheep or criminal, just that the higher the proportion, the more chance it show up.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    My son in future will serve in the army, and grow into a man. If one day he bitches and moans about Sanjeev or Ah-Zhou stealing his job and the government is so not fair to him, it's one tight slap coming from me to wake up his idea.

If he bitches about, wah, NUS also bloody hard to get in. Hey, you're bloody given every possible advantage and opportunities to excel over the poor ******* who hails from the slums of India. Go fight!!!
    Gunbucker, whoever you are, you are truly a patriotic Singaporean.
    I share your sentiments as you have so aptly pointed out in blue.
    Goodness, every day I come into contact with parents of young, healthy men, who attempts every means under the sun to excuse their precious offsprings from the rigours of NS. I cringe to hear what they say.
    And I promised myself to be a Father who will support my son's enlistment fully in a few years' time.
    Support we must, though not without some apprehension.
    Reprimand we must, if he shows lack of commitment.
    And share we must, with our sons the history of our country and of his Father's NS days no matter what rank, for this is where his pride will be derived.

(Sorry, it may seem a little OT here. But I feel NS is relevant in this topic as it is what bonds Singaporean boys/men & give us that foundation of brotherhood.)

And as one member has said correctly, every foreign person coming to a land of opportunity will bring with him his own set of culture & behaviour.
    This is perfectly understandable.
    Every melting-pot nation in history has its own stories of how these immigrants bring glory to the new country.
    I feel that Singapore we are no less different. We were a nation of immigrants almost two hundred years ago.
    And now, we are again beginning to be a nation of immigrants.

Re-iterating Gunbucker's mention of Darwinism, homo erectus/sapiens have migrated from Africa, Asia to all over the globe.
    It is only natural. And it brings a general good to the recipient land, but often not without a fair share of bloodshed.

The modern version of bloodshed is exactly what we are discussing here in this thread -
    difference in attitude/behaviour and competition in limited resources like occupation & accomodation.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gunbucker View Post
    Really? This again?

Seriously, where's the fighting spirit that put Singapore on the World Map in the first place.

Who's giving the jobs to the "FT"s? It's your very brotherly Singaporeans as well albeit far, far more well-off than you.

Who's this man at the TOP? Again, your very brotherly Singaporean albeit one that has far reaching visibility into the big picture.

You worry about the growth of Singapore, its future, its unified strength, etc etc. Well, let's put it this way. All I hear are whines, lots of moans and whines. And this isn't the Singapore the whole world knows, respects and admires.

Life is so hard ah? Too many true blooded Singaporeans migrating overseas? Perfect! That's Darwinism at its best! Singapore doesn't need pussies. Its a nation of smart, hard fighters. Want to chill, go live in M'sia, it's all good over there.

~~ agreed. singaporeans say a lot. dun do a lot. thumbs up.

hmm. but tooooo many FTs also not benificial. yes we need them to a certain extent. still better to try to be as self reliant as we can huh. look at new water. singapore not happy with malaysia. there goes our water supply. and now we drink recycled **** water.

but as a singaporean i'm proud.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scanner View Post
    Well the answer is obvious, every post election period, what happened?
    A question to ponder about.
    every post election we have scaredy cat opposition candidates.

most of time is WALK OVER

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sion Prieur View Post
    The issue is not a big deal actually. People with good skills and knowledge will always be in demand anywhere. People come here to work as foreign talents; Singaporeans also go to other countries to work as foreign talents (e.g. big shots like Leslie Kee (Japan), mattlock (US), Russell (US, HK, China), etc.). When people come to work in Singapore, they will bring with them their attitudes, their cultures, their personal behaviors. They're just like you and me - humans. So it is not fair say who and who create trouble in Singapore. Do you think Singaporeans are all that goody goody when they are abroad? When I have time I'll tell some nice stories.
    hmm. but still, can't the employers at least keep a look out? like help weed out ur bad attitude staff?
    well. i'll just raise japan as an example. they have good service and they take pride in their job.

u go there u will feel like doing hte same. singapore not so much huh. so we dun really have much influence on FTs, except bad ones. we do need to change i agree.

Blog Entries

And as one member has said correctly, every foreign person coming to a land of opportunity will bring with him his own set of culture & behaviour.
    This is perfectly understandable.
    Every melting-pot nation in history has its own stories of how these immigrants bring glory to the new country.
    I feel that Singapore we are no less different. We were a nation of immigrants almost two hundred years ago.
    And now, we are again beginning to be a nation of immigrants.

Re-iterating Gunbucker's mention of Darwinism, homo erectus/sapiens have migrated from Africa, Asia to all over the globe.
    It is only natural. And it brings a general good to the recipient land, but often not without a fair share of bloodshed.

The modern version of bloodshed is exactly what we are discussing here in this thread -
    difference in attitude/behaviour and competition in limited resources like occupation & accomodation.
    yo bro. i'm so gonna put ur last line into the first post. WAIT FOR ME

look at some of the gulf states where the FT outnumbers the locals 3-to-1. and look at their economy...or rather, their per capita...dem high.

anyway, talking about his FT thing, ironically, it is the gahmen themselves who set this rising FT population up. becoz singapore is too small for it to support a sizable local economy a'la china (or gawd forbid,malaysia!) and thus most of its gdp comes from the export business and high tech r&d. but when u export, when u sell something to other country, u cant expect other country to buy made in singapore products (generally singapore brand) so readily, so what did the gahmen do? making it attractive for foreign direct investments to come in and invest in singapore, injecting money into the local economy, then have these companies sell back to their country of origin (thus the export part). and all these companies needs workers, and easiest place to source for them is locally. but the higher managements wont be local (hence the talented FT), so the arms and legs will have to be, and many many locals shun these menial jobs becoz its 'beneath' them, thus the need for cheap FT (that's the untalented FT) willing to do the dirty job. am i right?

as for occupation...how many companies,multinationals (<---there's a reason they're called multinationals....) or enterprises were started by locals and employ many locals? not many lor. those that do were ussually gahmen linked or owned. many companies, locals ones included, prefer to employ FT...why? cheaper. and they are more grateful for the seemingly meagre pay these companies dish out to them. would a singaporean local be willing to do a job paying 700 per month? my chinamen koliqs has no problem with that.

speaking about accommodation...travelling around singapore...there are many empty lands...and looking at the hdb estates...too much wasted space...no, i'm not talking about the space that's being used as comfort zones, but in terms of height...most of the flats are only 10-11 storeys high. i believe several million more ppl could be squeezed in into the current land area allotted to residential properties if the flats are in excess of 40 floors and still maintain a healthy and nice comfort level. y the gahmen din do this i donno...

peace ppl.
    おれのflickrださ

it surprises me yet again, how much foreign talents have actually made it to our front page.
    it's simple.

the media meets demand for such news.

also, another possible implication, out of every 4 people in singapore, 1 is a foreigner. and we are pretty sure not all of them are talents as per se. is this benificial for our own singapore? one possible impact is that we would pretty much turn into a "mini china" soon, going by the figures, the amount of china citizens in singapore is actually rising more and more.
    1/3 of the people in london are foreign-born.

in 2005, 35% of new yorkers are foreign-born.

what do you make of that?

sometime, you should go and live in another country for a while, see how the locals there talk of your nationality, race.. maybe walk by a drunk 14 year old on a bridge in london calling you "chink! hey chink! look here chink!" and you just smile at him because it's become normal for you. maybe you will understand why i abhor such statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy View Post
    Intellectual rigour in Kopitiam? Good luck

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12347 ... LastLast