Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fed up with white balance on DSLR...

What can expodisc do that can't be done in Nikon Capture or PS?
    Shooting RAW of course.

The Expodisc is an expensive piece of plastic because of the work required to produce it to exact specifications and calibrations. It is the only way to get consistent white balance in any lighting situation aand is even more accurate than using Kodak gray or white cards.

Someone on dpreview had posted the results of his indepth comparisions of the Expodisc with the camera's white balance settings, Kodak gray and white cards. Check it out and decide for yourselves here:
    http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=4153539

Quote Originally Posted by Royce
    What can expodisc do that can't be done in Nikon Capture or PS?
    Shooting RAW of course.
    ExpoDisc is a tool used to set custom WB while shooting, and it's especially useful for those who only shoot in JPEG format (like me) instead of shooting RAW. if i'm to shoot RAW everytime, i dun even have to care too much about exposure also...nikon capture can do "magic" with RAW NEF files, but not JPEG.

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    ExpoDisc is a tool used to set custom WB while shooting, and it's especially useful for those who only shoot in JPEG format (like me) instead of shooting RAW. if i'm to shoot RAW everytime, i dun even have to care too much about exposure also...nikon capture can do "magic" with RAW NEF files, but not JPEG.
    That's what I thought.... so if only shooting RAW, expodisc not really needed then.

That's what I thought.... so if only shooting RAW, expodisc not really needed then.
    yes, for RAW, you dun even need to care about WB at all...just set to any settings and just fire off...dun even have to care too much about exposure too...as long as not over exposed, nikon capture can recover whatever under-exposed with RAW files.

BUT, for people who ONLY shoot in JPEG, they do not have the "luxury" of just fire away and not be concerned about WB and exposures....

well, the disc is no magic disc, and for those find it useful, good for them (me), and for those think it's just a piece of expensive plastic, good for them, and for those only shoot in RAW, they dun need it at all...good for them too...
    Last edited by rncw; 27th February 2004 at 09:54 AM.

just wondering, how does the expodisc adapt to lenses of different diameters? will it ever be too big/small?

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    yes, for RAW, you dun even need to care about WB at all...just set to any settings and just fire off...dun even have to care too much about exposure too...as long as not over exposed, nikon capture can recover whatever under-exposed with RAW files.

BUT, for people who ONLY shoot in JPEG, they do not have the "luxury" of just fire away and not be concerned about WB and exposures....

I shoot RAW all the time and still use Expodisc if I want to be doubly sure of the white balance especially in difficult lighting situations. To use it in RAW workflow, I just shoot a frame with the Expodisc in the desired lighting situation and use it to set the custom white balance in the RAW converter which in my case is Capture One. Notice that the series of tests in the dpreview post I mentioned is carried out with a RAW workflow.

It is of course possible to manually correct the white balance during RAW conversion especially with a good RAW conversion program with Kelvin temperature slider and tint control but the user do have to have a good colour sense. Also, sometimes in mixed lighting situations, it can be atrociously difficult to get the overall white balance right manually and this is where the Expodisc excels even in a RAW workflow.
    Last edited by tomcat; 27th February 2004 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ModelShooterz
    just wondering, how does the expodisc adapt to lenses of different diameters? will it ever be too big/small?
    well, i think as long as the disc size and the lens size is not so big a difference (like disc 49mm, and lens size 86mm?), should be ok.

72mm/77mm size disc will be good.

Quote Originally Posted by from Expodisc FAQ page
    Your camera meters only through the middle of the lens, making it possible to use a size ExpoDisc that is smaller than your camera’s lens size.

well, not to 'promote' the ExpoDisc too much....

for WB solutions, i think it's still best to first test out all settings in different lighting environment. what camera are you using by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by ModelShooterz

Just hold the disc in front of your lense and set the custom wb pointing to your target object.
    72mm will be good enough

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12