Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: budget around 1.2k....what the best dslr can i get???

Default Re: budget around 1.2k....what the best dslr can i get???

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post
    Pentax Kx with 18-55 kit lens is at this price. Well within your budget at ~$960
    Very good Noise Reduction at high ISOs
    On body shake reduction
    HD video
    On body lens drive motor
    Proper spot meter function

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

Very little lacking from a so called 'entry level' model. Compare the specs vs the competition yourself.
    I second pinholecam advise on Kx.

I gone down this road before......and i brought pentax kx as my first dslr. no regrets so far.
    dont worry about what the typical Canikon peopel will tell u ..... "about hard to find lens etc etc".
    in one month of owning a pentax I had collected 5 lens covering 18 to 300 mm and a manual prime lens 50mm f1.7.

Go with the Kx dual lens kit 18-55 n 55-200. if you go the pentax path. the lens kit produce good IQ

here a review link.
    http://macro-photography-blog.com/20...-vs-sony-a550/
    http://www.techradar.com/reviews/cam...view?artc_pg=1
    Last edited by poseur; 9th January 2010 at 09:42 PM.

A used S3 Pro ($500) and a used Nikkor 16-85 VR ($700). Superb colour.
    S5Pro|S3Pro|D50|16-85VR2|70-200VR|80-400VR|S50f1.4|105f2|135f2|SB900|SB80DX

The Pentax K-x, Nikon D5000, and Canon 500D are pretty similar in specs to each other and with kit lens they are under $1200.
    Well, except that the Pentax K-x is ~$960 and for $1200 you can get the 2 lens kit (18-55mm + 50-200mm), whereas $1200 only gets you the basic 18-55mm kit lens with Nikon or Canon.
    I don't subsidize marketing campaigns.

aha so many different choices.. TS ran already

get the Nikon D5000~~

I was contemplating what to get last week as well and in the end settled for a Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D. My selection for Nikon was due to reading kenrockwell's website for the review of the 2 models. You might wish to read up on the 2 review before you make your choice. Some folks might as D90. Well, if money is no issue of coz. But then, since we all have a budget, might as well just work within it? Further kenrockwell mentioned at D5000 is between D40 and D90, and since its newer than both, it is not all that bad.

New or 2nd hand? That is a question you have to ask yourself if you can tahan 2nd hand items. I cannot so I will not consider a 2nd hand body and lens. Furthermore as a newbie, how I know if the condition of the 2nd hand item i purchase is really as what the seller says and not being ripped off with a faulty equipment? We are dealing with electronic equipments (camera body) now as compared to the old manual 35mm film SLRs. Lots of things are not within our knowledge when it comes to such gadget. So for me in order to ensure I spent my money well, I go for something new which I know will definitely be safer.

I read through some threads that some folks has posted in the forum. I do agree with one fact though. It's the person behind the camera that produces good picture. Pro equipment or not, if the photographer is not good, give him the most expensive body and lens will also not unleash their full potential.

Lastly for your own thinking please. What DSLR? You have a brand preference? Or you have a kit preference if you buy brand new either Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc? Its really personnal. Follow you heart.

Have fun choosing and nights dreaming.

k-x.

end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by eltonteo View Post
    I was contemplating what to get last week as well and in the end settled for a Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D. My selection for Nikon was due to reading kenrockwell's website for the review of the 2 models.
    kenrockwell is very nikon-biased.

just for the ts' information.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

he makes it fun though,,,
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

That I totally agree!! Can tell lthat he is a firm D40 supporter. haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    he makes it fun though,,,
    2nd that
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

I was contemplating what to get last week as well and in the end settled for a Nikon D5000 over Canon 500D. My selection for Nikon was due to reading kenrockwell's website for the review of the 2 models. You might wish to read up on the 2 review before you make your choice. Some folks might as D90. Well, if money is no issue of coz. But then, since we all have a budget, might as well just work within it? Further kenrockwell mentioned at D5000 is between D40 and D90, and since its newer than both, it is not all that bad.

New or 2nd hand? That is a question you have to ask yourself if you can tahan 2nd hand items. I cannot so I will not consider a 2nd hand body and lens. Furthermore as a newbie, how I know if the condition of the 2nd hand item i purchase is really as what the seller says and not being ripped off with a faulty equipment? We are dealing with electronic equipments (camera body) now as compared to the old manual 35mm film SLRs. Lots of things are not within our knowledge when it comes to such gadget. So for me in order to ensure I spent my money well, I go for something new which I know will definitely be safer.

I read through some threads that some folks has posted in the forum. I do agree with one fact though. It's the person behind the camera that produces good picture. Pro equipment or not, if the photographer is not good, give him the most expensive body and lens will also not unleash their full potential.

Lastly for your own thinking please. What DSLR? You have a brand preference? Or you have a kit preference if you buy brand new either Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Sony etc? Its really personnal. Follow you heart.

Have fun choosing and nights dreaming.
    omg, u got a D5000? do you know you will need AF-S lens for the AF to work?
    Sony a330 | 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 | 50 f/1.8 | M 28-80 f/4-5.6 | M 80-200 f/4.5-5.6

I would go for:

1. Body with anti-shock
    2. 3" LCD screen or bigger and you can tilt it
    3. High ISO(>64000) low noise

pentax Kx or Sony A500 ... experience Sony liveview system

Quote Originally Posted by Yappy View Post
    I would go for:

1. Body with anti-shock
    2. 3" LCD screen or bigger and you can tilt it
    3. High ISO(>64000) low noise
    Sound so A550 to me hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by hoppie View Post
    omg, u got a D5000? do you know you will need AF-S lens for the AF to work?
    Yup. I know. But that will give me the excuse to buy better ones after I hone my skills. hehe.

if d90 better than d5000, i guess i might do some part time job...over my budget maa...huhhh..

Quote Originally Posted by poseur View Post
    I second pinholecam advise on Kx.

I gone down this road before......and i brought pentax kx as my first dslr. no regrets so far.
    dont worry about what the typical Canikon peopel will tell u ..... "about hard to find lens etc etc".
    in one month of owning a pentax I had collected 5 lens covering 18 to 300 mm and a manual prime lens 50mm f1.7.

Go with the Kx dual lens kit 18-55 n 55-200. if you go the pentax path. the lens kit produce good IQ
    Wah, you got converted to Pentax men so firmly and quickly
    Do share some pix of your Vietnam trip hor
    I am seriously thinking of changing to 500D in 6 mths time after I have 'worn out' and 'dump' my current 'GF'

Yup. I know. But that will give me the excuse to buy better ones after I hone my skills. hehe.
    errr ok....sorry but just still can't accept the fact that a D5000 actually cost $1.2k. I rather pay abit more for D90, or if i have 1.2k only, will get a Sony A550 or Canon 500D.

get a 2nd hand, when u are used to it, buy a first hand. best if u can go down to a camera shop for a feeling touch

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast