Thread: travelling with dslr

Default travelling with dslr

pardon my ignorance, but when i travel via plane, when going through customs, is it safe to put my camera and lens in a bag through the xray scans?will it damage the items?

Default Re: travelling with dslr

Not at all. Feel free to do so.

Edited: Actually, not that you have a choice... it's mandated by the customs and enforced by the officers.
    Last edited by limwhow; 9th January 2010 at 01:36 AM.

Better lock camera in dry cabinet at home, and lock the room too!!!
    deadpoet
    my portfolio

Quote Originally Posted by random88 View Post
    pardon my ignorance, but when i travel via plane, when going through customs, is it safe to put my camera and lens in a bag through the xray scans?will it damage the items?
    Its safe enough.

But we don't have much of a choice anyway, either leave it at home or put it through the scanner.

Lens, body, battery, memory card, etc no problem

most new xray scans machines are camera safe. they are even film camera safe.

Blog Entries

yep. all scanners now camera safe. even film camera safe.

BUT

if ur using film u could try to argue for them to not scan ur film . i remember i succeeded in doing so when i was arriving back to singapore from pulau ubin. was using 35mm then. i somehow managed to convince that scanner guy tat my film was safe and requested a hand check. camera not so lucky though.

Quote Originally Posted by allenleonhart View Post
    yep. all scanners now camera safe. even film camera safe.

BUT

if ur using film u could try to argue for them to not scan ur film . i remember i succeeded in doing so when i was arriving back to singapore from pulau ubin. was using 35mm then. i somehow managed to convince that scanner guy tat my film was safe and requested a hand check. camera not so lucky though.
    i doubt it will work at airport custom especially with such high tension now

It is safe from the xrays.
    but no guarantee that your bag won't be crushed by heavy bags while moving thru the xray tunnel.... minor risk is present.

Maybe you canan just walk through the scanners used for people while slinging the camera?

Quote Originally Posted by aspenx View Post
    Maybe you canan just walk through the scanners used for people while slinging the camera?
    No point lah. Just scan it.

certain airports (eg. in Europe) may even require you to remove your camera, lens and flash from your camera bag before going through the scanner. it's safe to do so.

No problem with DSLR. But when they ask you "do you have 'big' camera"? I wonder how ' big' is big... DSLR is big?

Anyway, no problem for me so far.

No problem so far, just went thru' x-ray machine when I was going to Hong Kong
    Olympus E-P2, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm F2.8, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, FL-14 Flash