Thread: Is 16mm on a DX suitable for panoramic stitching?

Default Is 16mm on a DX suitable for panoramic stitching?

Hi,

I intend to get a tokina 116, other than wide angle shots, i also hope to stitch to get panoramic pics. i believe the distortion will be too much for stitching at the wide end but does the narrow end pose this problem as well? i hope that this lens can be used for these 2 purposes.

If not then perhaps i have to get another lens instead for a more comfortable range. Is sigma 10-20 a good choice? Need some advice over here.

Default Re: Is 16mm on a DX suitable for panoramic stitching?

Pano stitching is better done with longer lenses as there are less distortions as well as having a easier horizon to match with.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Default Re: Is 16mm on a DX suitable for panoramic stitching?

Quote Originally Posted by Guiii View Post
    Hi,

I intend to get a tokina 116, other than wide angle shots, i also hope to stitch to get panoramic pics. i believe the distortion will be too much for stitching at the wide end but does the narrow end pose this problem as well? i hope that this lens can be used for these 2 purposes.

If not then perhaps i have to get another lens instead for a more comfortable range. Is sigma 10-20 a good choice? Need some advice over here.
    i think you mean the 11-16mm. At 11mm on a crop body (it's a DX thus not for full frame), depending on your crop factor, you'll be ending up at around 18mm or so comparing to 35mm/ full frame.

You'll need 2 rows of photos for a successful 360 x 360 stitch.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Pano stitching is better done with longer lenses as there are less distortions as well as having a easier horizon to match with.
    It's it's simply a really wide photo, non 360 but a cylindrical pano, you dont necessary neeed a longer/ zoom lens. There are also others going for gigapixels, you simply need more photos to stitch.