Thread: About ballheads

Default About ballheads

I just got myself a Silk Sprint Pro for my A1. Just wondering (I'm new to this), if I wanna use it without getting a new ballhead, will there b any problem? Stated on the box 0.89KG, so it means it can hold up to that weight only? My cam + grip probably around 1.2kg. Will there be any problem? This may sound stupid but I do need advise.

Hi, I don't quite understand your question.

But then to my understanding I will try to help

First, the weight on the box ought to be the tripod weight. If I'm not wrong, the silk sprint pro's max weight should be 2kg. So anything withing 2kg would be fine. Of course you can always load 3kg, it'll just not be stable

Urm, if you are not going to use a ball head or any head, how are you going to tilt or move your camera? This part I don't quite understand. Does the tripod already come with a head?

If you're considering a head, do put into consideration the weight of the head too.

try this mini ballhead called Giottos MH 1002 310 with the Slik Sprint Pro tripod. It is light and I believe it can support your A1.
    See my Photo Gallery at the Clubsnap

Thanks guys. Gotcha.

I think the 2kg max load refering to the camera mounting on the ballhead.

Is there any difference if you use a tripod colar on the lens, that means mounting the lens on tripod.
    Since it will balance the weight at each side of the tripod mount. So, less likely that the ballhead will creep.

If you mount the camera on the tripod when using heavy lens, then more likely the ballhead will creep towards the front.

Any expert kindly enlighten.

Best calculate the weight as the camera + whatever accessories + ballhead. Safer that way.

Default Slik sprint pro

IMO, that is a really very light tripod that is good for some snap shots to include yourself into the pic, for travel or some very light duty work.

If you're doing some macro or long tele or night shoot, you'll need something much more solid that that. How solid or how sturdy is very subjective. 2 most recommended tripods are the Manfrotto 190 and 055, in its various finishes. They are heavy and heavier, unless you can afford those carbon fibre that cost a bomb.

Unless you like to remind yourself of the army route march with full pack and rifle, etc, any long hikes means to bring light gear. Light gear against able to take swell pic....

Creep is due to the unbalance load if you mount camera onto tripod, caused by lens front element freeplay, deformation of camera plastic body, centre column of tripod and each section of the legs, especially the lowest section which is the thinnest......Just happened to learn a few thing about this inconvenient but essential evil called tripod

What is the price for the Manfrotto 190. Seem a lot of ppl recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by smallaperture
    IMO, that is a really very light tripod that is good for some snap shots to include yourself into the pic, for travel or some very light duty work.

If you're doing some macro or long tele or night shoot, you'll need something much more solid that that. How solid or how sturdy is very subjective. 2 most recommended tripods are the Manfrotto 190 and 055, in its various finishes. They are heavy and heavier, unless you can afford those carbon fibre that cost a bomb.

Unless you like to remind yourself of the army route march with full pack and rifle, etc, any long hikes means to bring light gear. Light gear against able to take swell pic....

Creep is due to the unbalance load if you mount camera onto tripod, caused by lens front element freeplay, deformation of camera plastic body, centre column of tripod and each section of the legs, especially the lowest section which is the thinnest......Just happened to learn a few thing about this inconvenient but essential evil called tripod

I recently got the Manfrotto 055 for 180 bucks at AMK. It's much cheaper than I thought previously. So, the 190 should be between 100 and 150. IMO, it is always better to get something more solid in the first place rather than to upgrade later.

A good Manfrotto is good for 2 generations of photogs and more, when used properly and even some abuse.

the ballhead that comes with the slik sprint pro is abysmal.. giottos is a nice replacement.

Is there any way of modifying slik to be able to take manfrotto ballheads?

Quote Originally Posted by hoppinghippo
    Is there any way of modifying slik to be able to take manfrotto ballheads?
    just unscrew the old ballhead and screw on the manfrotto head lor.. if the threadsize is different, get an adapter.

yup the screw size is different hence my qn, cool there's such a thing as an adaptor? where to get and how much? many thanx!