Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: NEF + JPG setting

  1. #1

    Default NEF + JPG setting

    Sorry, i am new to DSLR. Just got a D5000 few days ago. However, i have problem with the format. I have set it to RAW + JPG but i didn't see any NEF extension in the memory card. Instead i see 2 similar JPG picture. Just wondering is it the case? Thanks in advance.

  2. #2

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    In windows, did you make sure to turn off the setting to hide file extensions for known file types? If you select your sort order to "details" you should see that one of those files is the NEF.
    Alpha

  3. #3

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Nope... There are 2 JPG of the same picture instead of 1 NEF and 1 JPG!

  4. #4

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    What are the file sizes?
    Alpha

  5. #5

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    What are the file sizes?
    File size for the 2 JPG are the same! When i shoot using RAW, it is around 9 MB!

  6. #6
    Senior Member limwhow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Life revolves arOnd East Coast
    Posts
    7,049

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Quote Originally Posted by dadaChoy View Post
    File size for the 2 JPG are the same! When i shoot using RAW, it is around 9 MB!
    That's pretty strange, isn't it, Rashkae?
    Funny why despite the setting, the two files are the same...
    I can't understand why.

  7. #7

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Quote Originally Posted by limwhow View Post
    That's pretty strange, isn't it, Rashkae?
    Funny why despite the setting, the two files are the same...
    I can't understand why.
    Yeah, that's definitely a weird one.
    Alpha

  8. #8

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Bro what happen if u chose to shot raw only....can try.
    A photo is an art painted by light.

  9. #9

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Bro what happen if u chose to shot raw only....can try.
    One guy advise me to use the Nikon Transfer s/w to transfer the photo to my system and i did see the NEF + JPG after the transfer. However, if i view the folder in my camera using Window Explorer, i see 2 JPGs of the same file size. If i shoot only RAW, i did see the NEF file using Window Explorer. Is it normal?
    Last edited by dadaChoy; 7th January 2010 at 10:10 AM.

  10. #10

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Dude, what OS are you using? The RAW pics will have an embedded JPEG for you to preview. That's is no way to be mistaken the NEF for a JPG pic

  11. #11

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Quote Originally Posted by dadaChoy View Post
    One guy advise me to use the Nikon Transfer s/w to transfer the photo to my system and i did see the NEF + JPG after the transfer. However, if i view the folder in my camera using Window Explorer, i see 2 JPGs of the same file size. If i shoot only RAW, i did see the NEF file using Window Explorer. Is it normal?
    Can I assume that when you say "if i view the folder in my camera using Window Explorer, i see 2 JPGs of the same file size." you mean connect camera to PC by cable. If so I have not done that to my camera b4. What I do is I took out SD card from camera to transfer images to PC by SD thumb drive adapter and it is showing both jpg+nef files.

    Therefore I am not sure is it the norm for your camera. The relieve part is that you do get the nef+jpg end of the day.
    A photo is an art painted by light.

  12. #12

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Matter View Post
    Can I assume that when you say "if i view the folder in my camera using Window Explorer, i see 2 JPGs of the same file size." you mean connect camera to PC by cable. If so I have not done that to my camera b4. What I do is I took out SD card from camera to transfer images to PC by SD thumb drive adapter and it is showing both jpg+nef files.

    Therefore I am not sure is it the norm for your camera. The relieve part is that you do get the nef+jpg end of the day.
    Yes, i connect the camera to PC by the cable provided. I couldn't try it with my card reader since it is faulty. Might get one and try.

    PS: I am using Window XP and definitely there is only 2 JPGs of the same file size and info when i connect my D5000 to my PC using the camera.

    Thanks everyone for your advice and help!

  13. #13
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,392

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Have a look here: http://support.nikontech.com/app/ans...d/116678/sno/1
    It seems it is a known issue caused by 'lovely' Microsoft Windows. Better get a proper card reader. I never used the cable. If you have cards that are faster than the camera interface you will see the difference with a card reader
    EOS

  14. #14

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    Get a reliable card reader (read: Sandisk, Lexar) and your file recognition issue will be solved. I experienced the same problem as you before, solved with a card reader.

    Used a cheap reader and the file transfers were a pain, with pictures partially transferred at times.
    Nikonian since 2003
    F55 | D700

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    East side
    Posts
    3,704

    Default Re: NEF + JPG setting

    I'm not sure if it has to do with the PC transfer mode, but try setting the USB mode to "Mass storage" instead of FTP/PTP. Your SD card in the camera should function like an external drive in "Mass storage" mode.

    Hope it helps.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •