Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Film scanner investment

The Epson 3200 is not as resolving as the Dualscan 3 despite its 3200dpi vs 2800dpi rating as it is a flatbed design. I doubt the 4870 will have any real resolution increase even with its 4800dpi rating. Thus, just like the Epson 3200, it will likely perform well for 35mm but will really shine when used for medium and large format.

However, the 3200 does perform relatively well in terms of colour and dynamic range. The 4870 promises to improve that dynamic range yet.

Apart from the old Acer Scanwit, the Epson 4870 will be the cheapest scanner with ICE when launched. Anyone who does intensive scanning will recognize the value of ICE in reducing your post processing efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    The Epson 3200 is not as resolving as the Dualscan 3 despite its 3200dpi vs 2800dpi rating as it is a flatbed design. I doubt the 4870 will have any real resolution increase even with its 4800dpi rating. Thus, just like the Epson 3200, it will likely perform well for 35mm but will really shine when used for medium and large format.

However, the 3200 does perform relatively well in terms of colour and dynamic range. The 4870 promises to improve that dynamic range yet.

Apart from the old Acer Scanwit, the Epson 4870 will be the cheapest scanner with ICE when launched. Anyone who does intensive scanning will recognize the value of ICE in reducing your post processing efforts.

So it's a better investment to get the Dualscan III if I'm concentrating only on 35mm format?

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    So it's a better investment to get the Dualscan III if I'm concentrating only on 35mm format?
    well, i own one Dual Scan III, it is pretty good IMHO, especially par it with vuescan.
    Scanning negatives is easy and fast and need no adjustment, but if scanning slides like velvia and provia i would have to adjust it when scanning.

Scan Dual IV is out, so think 2nd hand market u can get nicely priced 2nd hand Scan Dual III

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by cheechee
    well, i own one Dual Scan III, it is pretty good IMHO, especially par it with vuescan.
    Scanning negatives is easy and fast and need no adjustment, but if scanning slides like velvia and provia i would have to adjust it when scanning.

Scan Dual IV is out, so think 2nd hand market u can get nicely priced 2nd hand Scan Dual III
    doez the Dual Scan III haz functionz like ICE ( or sth similar ) ..... ?? .....

wat'z itz max scanning rezolution ..... ?? .....

thankz .....

Quote Originally Posted by FOOXX
    doez the Dual Scan III haz functionz like ICE ( or sth similar ) ..... ?? .....

wat'z itz max scanning rezolution ..... ?? .....

thankz .....

ICE is a hardware/software implementation of dust removal. Sad to say, SD3 does not have that, instead it has "Dust Removal" which is software based. It can be easily fooled for sharp and pointed scenes such as intersection of branches or leaves which form an acute angle. Loss of sharpness in both cases is expected with the Dust Removal case been slightly more severe for acute angles. Max resolution is 2820 DPI which becomes a 4000x2700 px image for every frame.

Quote Originally Posted by forbytes
    ICE is a hardware/software implementation of dust removal. Sad to say, SD3 does not have that, instead it has "Dust Removal" which is software based. It can be easily fooled for sharp and pointed scenes such as intersection of branches or leaves which form an acute angle. Loss of sharpness in both cases is expected with the Dust Removal case been slightly more severe for acute angles. Max resolution is 2820 DPI which becomes a 4000x2700 px image for every frame.
    Yap. that is why i dun use the built in dust removal tool.

Anyway, u can use a freeware "Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal" to remove them, fast and easy. Of course, not forgetting to manually(physically) remove the dusts before u scan it.

Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Yes and no. The DS3 and the new DS4 should still be more resolving than the Epson 4870, but the Epson 4870 will come with ICE which will greatly ease your workflow if you have a lot to scan. Scratches on negatives are a lot more pain than dust specs on slides in my experience.

Another contender would be the Canon FS4000@4000dpi with its FARE which reportedly is as good as ICE.

Quote Originally Posted by forbytes
    ICE is a hardware/software implementation of dust removal.
    so it means that buying a scanner with ICE is a better investment?

Quote Originally Posted by lizter
    depends on your budget really. Cannot advise on this point.

how often do you scan? a lot?
    do you have good budget? or just economical budget?
    the price differences can allow u to purchase one more lenses.

It is all up to u.
    I can survive without ICE, and i scan not that much.
    (plus i have small budget)

you might have different needs

Quote Originally Posted by lizter
    Won't say that it would be a better investment. Really depends on your usage, time spent on scanning in your negatives/slides. ICE would be good to help remove the dust and scratches which can be a pain (soemtimes)

Also for the SDIII, the scans for slides somehow seem better then for negatives. Why? I have no idea myself.

If you can afford it get one with ICE. If you are on a tight bidget, one without ICE won't kill you, will take you extra time to scan your shots in thats all. So you have to figure whether that's impt to you.

Yap. that is why i dun use the built in dust removal tool.

Anyway, u can use a freeware "Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal" to remove them, fast and easy. Of course, not forgetting to manually(physically) remove the dusts before u scan it.

Cheechee,

Where do you download the software from? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by coke21
    Cheechee,

Where do you download the software from? Thanks in advance.
    http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html
    if i am not wrong, coz just used google to search back.

http://www.polaroid.com/service/soft...r/poladsr.html
    if i am not wrong, coz just used google to search back.
    Thanks for the info

Newbie question:
    what's a base16 scan? Can we just look at the dpi for resolution (ie the higher the better)?

Also, for flatbed and dedicated film scanner, does it mean they are equally good if they have the same dpi?

you should definitely get one with ice ... removes all the dust and scratches automatically in hardware. One relatively cheap and good model is by primefilm scanners. Some taiwanese brand. But resolution is excellent.

Question:

Can the DualScan III scan in my medium format stuff? I'm using Fuji TX-1 which is the same as Hasselblad XPAN. Someone advise please on a good scanner for medium format as well as 35mm film, cos the blehdy cost of printing my pano's on 4R before blowing them up is frickin ex man!!! :P

thanks lah, deh!

Quote Originally Posted by zbuzzard
    you should definitely get one with ice ... removes all the dust and scratches automatically in hardware. One relatively cheap and good model is by primefilm scanners. Some taiwanese brand. But resolution is excellent.

What's the price like?

Quote Originally Posted by JermsDayOut
    Question:

Can the DualScan III scan in my medium format stuff? I'm using Fuji TX-1 which is the same as Hasselblad XPAN. Someone advise please on a good scanner for medium format as well as 35mm film, cos the blehdy cost of printing my pano's on 4R before blowing them up is frickin ex man!!! :P

thanks lah, deh!
    It's ScanDual III, not DualScan...
    Anyway, it supports only 35mm and APS format.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Yes and no. The DS3 and the new DS4 should still be more resolving than the Epson 4870, but the Epson 4870 will come with ICE which will greatly ease your workflow if you have a lot to scan. Scratches on negatives are a lot more pain than dust specs on slides in my experience.

Another contender would be the Canon FS4000@4000dpi with its FARE which reportedly is as good as ICE.
    I am thinking of buying the 4870here, since the 4870-pro package does not seem available.
    Do I have decent options at a lower price-point for scanning 4x5 slides than the epson 4870?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123