Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: is tripod necessary for taking photos?

  1. #1

    Default is tripod necessary for taking photos?

    what are yr views? Both outdoor and indoors.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,668

    Default

    To me, tripods are necessary for some situations. I use them for night shots/ long exposures mainly. Tripods are especially useful for architectural and landscape shoots when getting a straight horizon or adjusting the camera to sit parallel to the object is essential to avoid converging lines. People who uses medium and large format cameras will use them more often because you simply cannot handhold the larger cameras. I also think using the tripod slows you down considerably and force you to be careful when taking a shot, to me at least.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    5,499

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    what are yr views? Both outdoor and indoors.
    erm. depends alot on what kinda photos you're taking right?

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    what are yr views? Both outdoor and indoors.
    Really depends on the type of pictures you taking. Event? Landscape? Street?
    Guess always good to use but the conditions might not allow you to use one.

  5. #5

    Default

    indoors/outdoor, low light must use, right?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Nah you dun need tripod. maybe you need bionic limbs.
    Considering you probably have bionic arm to ask this question.

    If you have bionic limbs you definitely can hand hold steadily for 1/2 to 30 sec.

    On a more serious note... yes you need a good tripod if shooting longer than 1/15s (my level). To compensate, shoot with a flash or a very fast lens.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Northwest
    Posts
    5,011

    Default

    For street or wildlife shooting you may need it for self defence...
    As complexity rises, precise statements lose meaning and meaningful statements lose precision.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roygoh
    For street or wildlife shooting you may need it for self defence...

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    East
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    indoors/outdoor, low light must use, right?

    Not neccessary...like I said depends on what you shooting. If low light and taking landscape...yah definitely why not? But if you taking a performance and low light, you going to mount on tripod?

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    what are yr views? Both outdoor and indoors.

    No offence here, in the first place, do you know why are tripods needed?

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    actually i was going to ask like togu like that but in the end i decided to be more civil.
    innovas is asking a lot of question that he should already be knowing...

    if that is not the case i am really sorry.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by togu
    No offence here, in the first place, do you know why are tripods needed?
    i suppose is to avoid handshake/camera shake.

  13. #13

    Lightbulb well, you are spot on.

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    i suppose is to avoid handshake/camera shake.
    Well, you are spot on. Whether one needs a tripod or not depends on one's assessment of the circumstances under which one is taking the photos.

  14. #14
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Tripods are white elephants. Most people buy them thinking that it would improve their photography. Yet, lots of them end up not using these white elephants most of the time, perhaps due to the weight, the size, or the hassle to set it up.

    For me, I would bring my tripod around, everytime I go out. For I wouldn't know when I would need it, either to shoot some pictures, or to whack some oncoming asssailant!

  15. #15

    Default

    Tripods are listed as one of the "must have" accessories for a serious photographer. If you want to buy one, buy the best you can afford.

    The catch is, you don't have to use one all the time! Most of the time, your shots will be handheld. If you do sports or events, you wouls most likely favor a monopod.

    Landscape, archi and similar genres of photography do require a tripod, 99% of the time.

    But what effect you want depends on you. And you alone. I refer to a valentine's day post where someone used camera shake to draw hearts with the city lights. That was cool.

    So, it's not necessary, but it depends on your needs.

    That said, i think a monopod is handier for fighting off assailants and dogs. Pity my monopod got lost in Thailand on a recent assignment. Shucks.

  16. #16
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    Tripods are listed as one of the "must have" accessories for a serious photographer. If you want to buy one, buy the best you can afford.

    The catch is, you don't have to use one all the time! Most of the time, your shots will be handheld. If you do sports or events, you wouls most likely favor a monopod.

    Landscape, archi and similar genres of photography do require a tripod, 99% of the time.

    But what effect you want depends on you. And you alone. I refer to a valentine's day post where someone used camera shake to draw hearts with the city lights. That was cool.

    So, it's not necessary, but it depends on your needs.

    That said, i think a monopod is handier for fighting off assailants and dogs. Pity my monopod got lost in Thailand on a recent assignment. Shucks.
    But monopod only one leg, while tripod three legs mah! Three is more powerful than one in fighting assailants off right?

    Just joking...

  17. #17

    Default

    bot a tripod but hardly use it since i now shoot mainly street and want to keep gear to a minimum. by the time u set up the tripod, the decisive moment is gone... might try out a monopod sometime in the future though ...
    you can buy better gear but you can't buy a better eye

  18. #18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zekai
    actually i was going to ask like togu like that but in the end i decided to be more civil.
    innovas is asking a lot of question that he should already be knowing...

    if that is not the case i am really sorry.





    Say me not civil.... grrrrr

  19. #19

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by innovas1
    i suppose is to avoid handshake/camera shake.
    There, you already know the answer youself. Shoot more, and you'll know when you need it.


  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,720

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by togu



    Say me not civil.... grrrrr

    er... i meant you are more forth coming, direct and HONEST with your opinion.
    we really need more people like togu around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •