Thread: Which entry level DSLR camera?

Default Which entry level DSLR camera?

Hi all clubsnapper! I am a total noobie but want to venture into photography as a hobby. but to start of with, i need a DSLR. any recommendation for a entry level camera which is ease of use for newbie like me? I looking at Nikon D60..ant better recommendation? Budget ard 700-800plus will be good for me.

Default Re: Which entry level DSLR camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Hydro79 View Post
    Hi all clubsnapper! I am a total noobie but want to venture into photography as a hobby. but to start of with, i need a DSLR. any recommendation for a entry level camera which is ease of use for newbie like me? I looking at Nikon D60..ant better recommendation? Budget ard 700-800plus will be good for me.
    from the usual 3,

canon 1000d, nikon d3000, sony a330. there is also the pentax kx and so on.

now it all depends what features you need.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Raise your budget a bit and get this...
    u wan btr noise performance > Nikon D5000
    btr video capability > Canon 500D
    Last edited by bruno84sg; 6th January 2010 at 12:56 PM.
    E-M5, GF-1 (20, 12-35, 35-100, 7.5)

sony a230 kit ( street price $6xx) + 2 years extended warranty ( $240 ) + 50mm F1.8 ( FREE )..total should be below 900.
    My Pixels | a7 | 1635FE Zeiss | MD 50mm f1.4 | MC 35mm f2.8 | MC 50mm f3.5 1:1 Macro |

a second hand D40 with kit lens with probably go for around ~600. not sure about other brands though.
    i started with a D60. Its a good camera to learn controlling a DSLR but i felt its a little overkill. D40 is more than sufficient. Go read dear Mr Ken Rockwell rant about it too!..lol
    D5000 | Sigma 10-20mm | Nikon VR 18-105mm | Nikon VR 55-200mm | Speedlight SB600

Blog Entries

best to get 2nd hand the above models mentioned

try try...... if you lose interest.... at least you can drop this hobby with less $ pain
    shaddap and just shoot .... up close
    Walkeast

try canon 1000d standard kit

the best advice would be to go to the shops/showroom etc to try and test the different dslr and choose the one u are most comfortable with and fits your budget.
    EoS 1D MK2| 24 - 70 f2.8L | 70 - 200 f4L

Care to explain the logic of the part marked? There are many cameras with good results available within your budget (prosumer, bridge). It doesn't need a DSLR to learn about photography. Be aware that having a DSLR has many follow-up costs which will exceed your budget easily by factor 2.
    EOS

Hi Hydro79, photog is a great hobby. to step beyond ur point and shoot, there is a huge range of so called entry level cameras such as the sony alpha a200/300, canon 450D/500D, Olympus lineups like the 520/620, the pentax k2000/k200d, nikon d3000/5000 and ones as mentioned by forumers.. etc ( i might not be the most knowledgeable in the latest models tho, so pls do check )

2nd hand is cheaper, but i recommend u go out for a show and tell with some of ur friends who are existing users. then go down the shops to try out.

happy exploring , and shooting

ryan

Welcome to CS
    Take the shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Care to explain the logic of the part marked? There are many cameras with good results available within your budget (prosumer, bridge). It doesn't need a DSLR to learn about photography. Be aware that having a DSLR has many follow-up costs which will exceed your budget easily by factor 2.
    Hi Oct, to explain to get a DSLR to start of with is I prob will go into photog as a casual hobby but not to pro level.getting a prosumer range might be limiting myself to learn more as what a DSLR can get me to. So I do not wanna spend on Prosumer cam then 1-2 yrs buy another DSLR then in the end I spend more. so getting a entry DSLR cam, I can horne my skills further and learn the basic functions to more advance level steps by steps in the long run. if i become expert maybe 5-6 yrs..(maybe lah or maybe more...) then I can dump the entry one and go for better ones. or maybe I do not even need to dump, I can invest in better lens where the prosumer can't.

that explain...thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by madmartian View Post
    Welcome to CS
    yeah.....

You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

Quote Originally Posted by sagiluck View Post
    sony a230 kit ( street price $6xx) + 2 years extended warranty ( $240 ) + 50mm F1.8 ( FREE )..total should be below 900.
    I tot the extended warranty ended on 31 dec 09?

Increase your budget to $960. Pentax Kx with 18-55 kit lens is at this price.
    Best Noise Reduction for the price (and more)
    On body shake reduction
    HD video (if you are into such things)
    On body lens drive motor
    Proper spot meter function

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentaxkx/

Pentax or Sony for that range.

The rest of the beginner DSLRs are simply overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by ed9119 View Post
    best to get 2nd hand the above models mentioned

try try...... if you lose interest.... at least you can drop this hobby with less $ pain
    Agreed.

I have a D60, good for starter. If you can, d3000 is a newer version, which my friend just bot 1 and started to loving photography.

Depends on how much money you have...
    Olympus E-P2, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm F2.8, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, FL-14 Flash

Quote Originally Posted by Reportage View Post
    yeah.....

Strike back..................haha

Take the shot!