Thread: Prime Len advice

Default Prime Len advice

Hi,

I'm using S3 Pro and intends to get a prime len but can't decide whether to get AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G or AF 50mm f/1.8G. Mainly i'll be using it for portrait shot and occasional landscape. Mostly for landscape i'll be using AF 14mm f/2.8. Need advice from experienced photographer on what should be considered when buying prime lens and how to decide which focal length to get. TIA.

Default Re: Prime Len advice

Quote Originally Posted by snappez View Post
    Hi,

I'm using S3 Pro and intends to get a prime len but can't decide whether to get AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G or AF 50mm f/1.8G. Mainly i'll be using it for portrait shot and occasional landscape. Mostly for landscape i'll be using AF 14mm f/2.8. Need advice from experienced photographer on what should be considered when buying prime lens and how to decide which focal length to get. TIA.
    i m no pro, but imho, 50 works better factoring the crop (i.e. 1.5X) which gives a preferable working focal length for portrait work.. Just my 2 cents worth..

btw, 50 f1.8 only comes in D version..
    I turned PRO in diaper chg!
    My Flickr|My Son

simply take into consideration when conversion to 35mm.

for me, i would take the 35mm f1.8 and then simply use a tele converter to get the portrait focal range. 50mm is kinda limiting on crop bodies unless you are very creative.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

am no pro but currently using the 50mm 1.8 on a crop body and find that sometimes it can limit you quite a lot, and will take some getting used to.

however, if i'm not wrong, it produces better bokeh than the 35mm cos of it's focal length, and it's cheaper. as a purely portrait lens the focal length is also just nice.

if you don't feel the longer focal distance is a problem and will only be using it for portraits, get the 50mm.

maxtheevil
    Guests

50mm lens = 75mm on DX bodies, your S3 pro included.

try it.

my take? it's too long...

i only use 85mm on film slr on portraits occasionally.

to frame the face to shoulders or closer.

other than that... it's very limiting for portraits.

i like a 50mm better, in your case the 35mm DX

don't take my word for it.

rent the 2 and come out wiser before u buy it.

Thanks guys for your input. Really appreciate it. although still undecided, i suppose the best way is to try it out for myself. maxtheevil, you mention something about renting, where can i rent lens? Thanks.