Thread: USB device still have power supply after shutdown

Default USB device still have power supply after shutdown

Hi guys,

I just upgrade my OS to Windows 7 yesterday, and this morning when i wake up i notice that the cooling pad and external HDD still functioning after the windows is shut down.

The all 3 USB port from my notebook does the same things (got power supply after shut down)...i never experience this with Vista previous.

So can anyone share some idea for this problem?

Default Re: USB device still have power supply after shutdown

Look in your BIOS. There should be the USB power options.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by jsnnyh View Post
    Hi guys,

I just upgrade my OS to Windows 7 yesterday, and this morning when i wake up i notice that the cooling pad and external HDD still functioning after the windows is shut down.

The all 3 USB port from my notebook does the same things (got power supply after shut down)...i never experience this with Vista previous.

So can anyone share some idea for this problem?
    This is what happens to me, therefore I make it a point to disconnect them after shutdown/hibernate.
    Canon 5D Mark II | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.2L | 85mm II f1.2L | 580EX II

Thanks Rashkae, i will look into it

Quote Originally Posted by andeelym View Post
    This is what happens to me, therefore I make it a point to disconnect them after shutdown/hibernate.
    Any solution for this? i dont think this is part of the windows 7 feature right..haha

the original idea of USB is for connecting peripherals to PC.
    the peripherals do not need to communicate with PC once PC is off hence no need to power the USB. Hence the USB host (in the PC) turns off the power supply (VBUS) to the device (in this case, the ext fan) when the host (PC) is off.

however the application of USB evolved a lot since then.

for instance, many of us charge our ipods/phones with the PC via USB nowadays.
    it can be an inconvenience not being able to charge the gadget unless the PC is on.
    Hence a mod to the USB spec has been made and now some PC's continue to power
    the USB ports when the rest of the PC is off.

You can also go into your power options -> Advanced settings and adjust the USB selective suspend options, but that's more for standby rather than shutdown.
    Alpha