Thread: Minolta dimage z1 or panasonic dmc-fz10

Default Minolta dimage z1 or panasonic dmc-fz10

hi guys,

i'm looking to replace my aging fujifilm finepix 2600z.

I'm contemplating the minolta dimage z1 or the panasonic dmc-fz10 due to certain factors:
    - external flash (may delve into more complex photography later on)
    - good price (thought the panasonic is $300 more)
    - cheap memory cards (sd/mmc)
    - good reviews

i'll be using it for:
    - holiday shots
    - family gatherings (usually night/indoor shots)
    - will also be used by my gf (who has typically small hands)

would appreciate any advice you guys can give:
    - heard that the dimage z1 takes soft pictures (don't really quite understand what this means though)
    - the dimage z1 has no IS (is this a major issue considering the camera has 10x?)
    - which is easier to handle (in terms of size and weight - coz my gf will be using it)
    - the dmc-fz10 uses propriety batteries but has good IS and 12x zoom.
    - but heard that that the dmc-fz10 is quite noisy/grainy.
    - which camera does better night/indoor shots with the in-built flash?

thanks again guys. truly appreciate any help.

rgds

Quote Originally Posted by deepblue2
    hi guys,

i'm looking to replace my aging fujifilm finepix 2600z.

I'm contemplating the minolta dimage z1 or the panasonic dmc-fz10 due to certain factors:
    - external flash (may delve into more complex photography later on)
    - good price (thought the panasonic is $300 more)
    - cheap memory cards (sd/mmc)
    - good reviews

i'll be using it for:
    - holiday shots

- heard that the dimage z1 takes soft pictures (don't really quite understand what this means though)
    - the dimage z1 has no IS (is this a major issue considering the camera has 10x?)
    - which is easier to handle (in terms of size and weight - coz my gf will be using it)

rgds
    I don't own either of the camera that you are interested in, but I did read a lot of articles regarding fz-10. Anyway, here's my 2 cents worth:

(i) FZ-10 is relatively much larger than a lot of compact digital camera. As compared to the earlier models (FZ-1 and FZ-2), it's apparently much more bulkier. The bulkiness of course increase the stability somewhat at high zoom. However, most gals would not like the size of FZ-10.

(ii) Z-1 runs on AA batteries, which is a better choice the rechargeable 7.2V Lithium ion battery of FZ-10. Nowadays the AA rechargables are really affordable, and on top of that, the availability of AA batteries wherever you go, is a big plus!

(iii) Cosmetic-wise, the black FZ-10 looks classy and resembles a SLR, while that of Z-1 is, well, eccentric!

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    I don't own either of the camera that you are interested in, but I did read a lot of articles regarding fz-10. Anyway, here's my 2 cents worth:

(i) FZ-10 is relatively much larger than a lot of compact digital camera. As compared to the earlier models (FZ-1 and FZ-2), it's apparently much more bulkier. The bulkiness of course increase the stability somewhat at high zoom. However, most gals would not like the size of FZ-10.

(ii) Z-1 runs on AA batteries, which is a better choice the rechargeable 7.2V Lithium ion battery of FZ-10. Nowadays the AA rechargables are really affordable, and on top of that, the availability of AA batteries wherever you go, is a big plus!

(iii) Cosmetic-wise, the black FZ-10 looks classy and resembles a SLR, while that of Z-1 is, well, eccentric!
    thanks for the info. yea.. the cosmetics of the Z1 are a major plus factor. it's form factor (more compact than slr) + its weight (about 200g less) + the AA batts make it quite ideal.

as for the 'eccentric' look.. well, i guess tht is pretty subjective..

but cosmetics not-withstanding, it would be nice to hear about its capabilities. been hearing some negative remarks about the Z1's 'soft' pictures and non-IS abilities. wanna know how that is gonna affect the final product.

One thing i read, the Z1's in-built flash range is 20ft as opposed to the Z10's 13ft. Now thts a good plus for the minolta.

i'll be using it for:
    - holiday shots

rgds
    Currently I am using FZ-1.
    Just taken it to Korea Trip over the CNY 2004.
    Works well even when -18 degrees c
    Great for travelling as it is compact, guess fz-10 would be great too as it is just a bit bigger.
    As for the 12X zoom + IS, it reallys helps . Especially it was so cold, my fingers/hand more dumb and a little shaky. Tried even taking with one hand. A few shots was taken with travelling in the bus turns out sharp with the IS.

As for grainy, I use NeatImage. its helps too for FZ-10

As for flash, u can always use the hotshoe for more Powerful Flash ...
    Hopes these info helps

Quote Originally Posted by chew
    Currently I am using FZ-1.
    Just taken it to Korea Trip over the CNY 2004.
    Works well even when -18 degrees c
    Great for travelling as it is compact, guess fz-10 would be great too as it is just a bit bigger.
    As for the 12X zoom + IS, it reallys helps . Especially it was so cold, my fingers/hand more dumb and a little shaky. Tried even taking with one hand. A few shots was taken with travelling in the bus turns out sharp with the IS.

As for grainy, I use NeatImage. its helps too for FZ-10

As for flash, u can always use the hotshoe for more Powerful Flash ...
    Hopes these info helps
    erm.. thanks for the info.. but i'm a bit confused.

you have BOTH fz-10 AND fz1??

"Currently I am using FZ-1." - ok.. means u have the fz1.
    "Works well even when -18 degrees c" - still referring to the fz1 i presume.
    "Great for travelling as it is compact, guess fz-10 would be great too as it is just a bit bigger" - still on the fz1. and i do agree the compact form factor is good.
    "As for the 12X zoom + IS, it reallys helps" - err.. isn't THIS the fz-10? fz1 is 10x without IS (or am i worng here?)
    "A few shots was taken with travelling in the bus turns out sharp with the IS" - again, fz-10 or fz1?
    "As for grainy, I use NeatImage. its helps too for FZ-10" - i thought the fz-10 was the grainy one. does this mean the fz1 is grainy also??

sorry to ask so many questions. really blur right now.

[QUOTE=deepblue2]erm.. thanks for the info.. but i'm a bit confused.

"Currently I am using FZ-1." - ok.. means u have the fz1. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"Works well even when -18 degrees c" - still referring to the fz1 i presume. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"Great for travelling as it is compact, guess fz-10 would be great too as it is just a bit bigger" - still on the fz1. and i do agree the compact form factor is good. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"As for the 12X zoom + IS, it reallys helps" - err.. isn't THIS the fz-10? fz1 is 10x without IS (or am i worng here?) [QUOTE] Both FZ-1 & FZ-10 is the same 12XOptical Zoom + IS

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"A few shots was taken with travelling in the bus turns out sharp with the IS" - again, fz-10 or fz1? [QUOTE] Fz-1 , guess Fz-10 too as both have IS and Lecia Lens.

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"As for grainy, I use NeatImage. its helps too for FZ-10" - i thought the fz-10 was the grainy one. does this mean the fz1 is grainy also??[QUOTE] both have after ISO 200 but not obvious unless u enlarge. But NeatImage removes all that as it removes for all digicams from P&S to DSLR,

Welcome

[QUOTE=chew][QUOTE=deepblue2]erm.. thanks for the info.. but i'm a bit confused.

"Currently I am using FZ-1." - ok.. means u have the fz1. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"Works well even when -18 degrees c" - still referring to the fz1 i presume. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"Great for travelling as it is compact, guess fz-10 would be great too as it is just a bit bigger" - still on the fz1. and i do agree the compact form factor is good. [QUOTE]

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"As for the 12X zoom + IS, it reallys helps" - err.. isn't THIS the fz-10? fz1 is 10x without IS (or am i worng here?) [QUOTE] Both FZ-1 & FZ-10 is the same 12XOptical Zoom + IS

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"A few shots was taken with travelling in the bus turns out sharp with the IS" - again, fz-10 or fz1? [QUOTE] Fz-1 , guess Fz-10 too as both have IS and Lecia Lens.

[QUOTE=deepblue2]"As for grainy, I use NeatImage. its helps too for FZ-10" - i thought the fz-10 was the grainy one. does this mean the fz1 is grainy also??
    both have after ISO 200 but not obvious unless u enlarge. But NeatImage removes all that as it removes for all digicams from P&S to DSLR,

Welcome
    thanks...

but i realised one STUPID mistake on my part... i was asking for MINOLTA DIMAGE Z1 and PANASONIC DMC-FZ10 comparison..

what you gave me was PANASONIC DMC-FZ1 and PANASONIC DMC-FZ10 comparison... hah hah hah.. no wonder i was confused about the 12x and IS.. coz i'm sure the MINOLTA dimage Z1 has only 10x optical and no IS...

*shessh.. the naming convention nowadays really sucks*
    Last edited by deepblue2; 25th February 2004 at 03:17 PM.

thanks...

but i realised one STUPID mistake on my part... i was asking for MINOLTA DIMAGE Z1 and PANASONIC DMC-FZ10 comparison..

what you gave me was PANASONIC DMC-FZ1 and PANASONIC DMC-FZ10 comparison... hah hah hah.. no wonder i was confused about the 12x and IS.. coz i'm sure the MINOLTA dimage Z1 has only 10x optical and no IS...

*shessh.. the naming convention nowadays really sucks*
    Yup! Agreed that the naming really sucks!
    Just the other day, someone tried to see a Nokia Coolpix 5400!!

Quote Originally Posted by cheatchu79
    Yup! Agreed that the naming really sucks!
    Just the other day, someone tried to see a Nokia Coolpix 5400!!
    yea.. why can't eacj manufacturer come up with ONE naming convention and stick to it.. whts so great about 'f' and 'z' that almost everyone has to use it?