Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dry box for Lx3

Default Re: Dry box for Lx3

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    Too low RH will cause the rubber on your DSLR to dry up and break apart over time. Internal circuitry will also be harmed.
    I always wonder that's really true~ I'm not challenging u but just want to know whether that really happen.
    Humidity in Melb is around 20% and can go lower (today's 21% and 10% in the late afternoon). My cam has been in melb for almost 2 yrs and have not heard any locals complain about the cam, nor the low humidity has gave me any problem (af is getting marginally less accurate though). Humidity in European areas, such as Germany is even lower. If the low humidity is indeed the cause of my slow progressive af inaccuracy, I'll get a 'wet' cabinet, somehow.

I keep mine together with my DSLR... think digicab got sale now...
    Life is about choices.

Finally, someone having the same perception too. The oil drying thing is busted. Next I will be testing rubber cracking and the worst of the belief is plastic cracking.

Electronic failure again IMO won't hold as moisture will cause corrosion.

Quote Originally Posted by Fallenphoenix View Post
    I always wonder that's really true~ I'm not challenging u but just want to know whether that really happen.
    Humidity in Melb is around 20% and can go lower (today's 21% and 10% in the late afternoon). My cam has been in melb for almost 2 yrs and have not heard any locals complain about the cam, nor the low humidity has gave me any problem (af is getting marginally less accurate though). Humidity in European areas, such as Germany is even lower. If the low humidity is indeed the cause of my slow progressive af inaccuracy, I'll get a 'wet' cabinet, somehow.
    Last edited by spheredome; 11th January 2010 at 10:09 PM.

If one doesn't believe it's true, then might as well store the camera in a fridge.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoweagle View Post
    If one doesn't believe it's true, then might as well store the camera in a fridge.
    erm.... the temperature does go down to 4 in melb during winter. My rm is around 10ish for a few months each yr. It's even cooler in northern Europe. It might seem to be a good idea to put the cam in the fridge in tropical humid country like sg. However, the condensation might be a problem when u take the cam out. Nonetheless, it is worth mentioning that it is ideal to store li-ion batteries (ideally 40% charged) in fridge (non-freezing) to prolong their lifespan. That is to slow down the on-going oxidation process in the battery, which cause the battery to die after 2-3 yrs.

Rubber and plastic deterioration are more prominant under UV exposure. I'm not saying the plastic or rubber on the cam is going to flake off under the sun. If that's true, u'll see the aussie photographers complaining when we ve 50% more UV than sg. I believe that the materials on the camera re pretty sturdy. Nevertheless, the plastic bags here in Melb do crumble into small brittle pieces after a few sunny days. I'm unsure whether these bags are the so-call biodegradable bags.

erm.... the temperature does go down to 4 in melb during winter. My rm is around 10ish for a few months each yr. It's even cooler in northern Europe. It might seem to be a good idea to put the cam in the fridge in tropical humid country like sg. However, the condensation might be a problem when u take the cam out. Nonetheless, it is worth mentioning that it is ideal to store li-ion batteries (ideally 40% charged) in fridge (non-freezing) to prolong their lifespan. That is to slow down the on-going oxidation process in the battery, which cause the battery to die after 2-3 yrs.

Rubber and plastic deterioration are more prominant under UV exposure. I'm not saying the plastic or rubber on the cam is going to flake off under the sun. If that's true, u'll see the aussie photographers complaining when we ve 50% more UV than sg. I believe that the materials on the camera re pretty sturdy. Nevertheless, the plastic bags here in Melb do crumble into small brittle pieces after a few sunny days. I'm unsure whether these bags are the so-call biodegradable bags.
    I was on melb some time back during winter and the temp goes down to around 3 degs.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Majority of the rubber breaking is due to wear and tear regardless of low - medium RH. Heat+cold, expansion/contraction weakens them. Rubber not protected by wax will not last as it gets exposed to sun and moist. Chlorinated water is the worst which brittles rubber and resins very fast, second by perspiration.

Ozone too will make normal plastic bag very brittle but not decompose. Some uses bacterial breakdown.

Quote Originally Posted by spheredome View Post
    Majority of the rubber breaking is due to wear and tear regardless of low - medium RH. Heat+cold, expansion/contraction weakens them. Rubber not protected by wax will not last as it gets exposed to sun and moist. Chlorinated water is the worst which brittles rubber and resins very fast, second by perspiration.

Ozone too will make normal plastic bag very brittle but not decompose. Some uses bacterial breakdown.
    That's y I also make it a habit to clean my equipment after every use.

Point n shoot camera also need to keep dry box ?
    Then we would be seeing alot of fungus pns camera around.

Don't just think fungus as camera related only. Have you encounter an unused wallet kept in a rarely open drawer and it ended up moldy but a used wallet won't. That is the same principle.

People who use aircon at night daily will not have this problem, which is why shoes tends to mold because it is in the storage room instead of bed room. Fungus don't grow when there UV, movement and moving air circulation. If it interest you, read more on how fungus/mushroom consume food.

Using drybox is not just to fight against fungus, high moisture shortens electronic lifespan which is why an unused DVD player spoils while a running player survived.

Quote Originally Posted by club21z View Post
    Point n shoot camera also need to keep dry box ?
    Then we would be seeing alot of fungus pns camera around.

im thinking how to store my LX3.

now it sits in a leather case with leather strap.

52mm adaptor with lens hood on the way...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12