Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Swimming lessons for adults in west area?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singaporean in Shanghai
    Posts
    80

    Default Swimming lessons for adults in west area?

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know any good swimming instructors teaching beginner lessons for adults with following criteria:

    a) Patient
    b) Preferably lady
    c) Price reasonable
    d) public swimming pool in west or central area

    Thanks!

  2. #2

    Default

    i believe u can hop into any public pool n most likely there is a lesson going on then can just ask the coach straight

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singaporean in Shanghai
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Thanks clive, but I must catch those lessons at an opportune time ... so far I have not managed to catch any lessons going on for adult beginners. I was hoping to see anyone got any good contacts here cos good esp female instructors are hard to come by . Patience v important to me .

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    i believe u can hop into any public pool n most likely there is a lesson going on then can just ask the coach straight
    U mean hop into any public pool n most likely there's cheekopek trying to teach izit?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    my heart in san francisco
    Posts
    2,233

    Default

    Hi there,

    Too bad i am not in Singapore, i used to giving swimming lessons to ladies, as part of my practical experience before getting my coaching licence. I do know of 2 non-chee kor pek coaches whom you can approach. They are both very patient and experienced coaches. One is Tan Chin Hoe from the Jurong East swimming complex, another one is Alvin from Queenstown swimming complex. Alternatively, you can always call up the pool of your choice and ask for female coaches. They will provide you with their contact numbers.

    good luck with your search!

    welcome to the water!!!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singaporean in Shanghai
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by swimcraze
    Hi there,

    Too bad i am not in Singapore, i used to giving swimming lessons to ladies, as part of my practical experience before getting my coaching licence. I do know of 2 non-chee kor pek coaches whom you can approach. They are both very patient and experienced coaches. One is Tan Chin Hoe from the Jurong East swimming complex, another one is Alvin from Queenstown swimming complex. Alternatively, you can always call up the pool of your choice and ask for female coaches. They will provide you with their contact numbers.

    good luck with your search!

    welcome to the water!!!
    Thanks a lot swimcraze for your generous sharing! i always wanted to learn swimming but alas i have a not-so-small fear of water hence my teachers have failed in their attempts to convert me to a swimmer in schooling days . But still want to give it a shot again cos really wld like to swim in water independently without a float .

  7. #7

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singaporean in Shanghai
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Thanks fastlane for taking the effort to paste in the website addy . I have already looked at their websites prior to setting up the thread...guess i'm looking more of a word-of mouth recommendation in addition to my research .

  9. #9

    Default

    for additional aid:
    the best website is:

    http://www.totalimmersion.net.

    courtesy of terry laughlin of USA. and his "fishlike methods"

    and also buy his 3 books:
    1. yr1995. swimming made easy
    2. yr2000. swimming made easy
    3. yr2000+. triathlon swimming made easy

    and the videos too

    these 3 books can be found in national library and they r usually in hot demand.

    about a slightly more than a year ago my right knee injury forced me to look for alternative forms of aerobic exercise other than running. being a total nonswimmer for the past decade, i forced myself to face my deepseated childhood fears and confrotn the fear of water. in late april 2003 i chanced upon this "fishlike method" business and promptly borrowed the first book, then the subsequent 2 other books. in the absence of a coach and just by reading the books and figuring out the strokes alone, i was able to swim a decent 50m freestyle by july 2003. just last month i broke the 2km barrier. by end of next month i will be trying for my very first 3.8km IM-distance swim. and i do plan to go beyond 3.8km in the future. for this year i will go for my very first triathlon.

    my freestyle stroke is of course not totally ideal form but the point is that with a coach and the recommended additional aids, there is nothing to fear. even a nonswimmer senior citizen can also start to learn to swim and throughly enjoy it. to swim is to have fun! and its meant 2b so. so dont worry and start swimming now! sometimes u will find that in the midst of stroking thru the water, it is one of the best ways to escape n float free, relax n de-stress. ^_^

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Singaporean in Shanghai
    Posts
    80

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by clive
    for additional aid:
    the best website is:

    http://www.totalimmersion.net.

    courtesy of terry laughlin of USA. and his "fishlike methods"

    and also buy his 3 books:
    1. yr1995. swimming made easy
    2. yr2000. swimming made easy
    3. yr2000+. triathlon swimming made easy

    and the videos too

    these 3 books can be found in national library and they r usually in hot demand.

    ^_^
    Thanks Clive for your generous sharing ! V encouraging to a non-swimmer like me. Looking at your avatar I thot you had swum for ages . Learning swimming for similar reasons as physical limitations ruled out high impact aerobics for me. I will check NLB website for those books you mentioned . Thanks really and cheers!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •