Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techies, your opinions please

Default Techies, your opinions please

Can Techies pleasse give your opinions on the below setup:

Intel mobo, 875P chipset
    P4 3.2GHz HT processor, 1M cache
    512MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM 400MHz ram (2x256 for HT, or should I go for 2x512?)
    128MB nVidia GeForce FX5200 with TV out / DVI
    1x1394IEEE Firewire
    8xUSB 2.0
    80GB HDD
    DVD Burner

System mainly used for:
    Internet Access, especiall ClubSnap
    Post Processing of digital photos with PS
    Digital video editing and burning DVDs, SVCDs
    2D and 3D animation creations and rendering (taking too long with my current P3, 1GHz with integrated graphics and add-on voodoo 8MB card)

I will re-use my existing 19" HP CRT monitor.
    Not wanting a super setup, but if the above could suffice my usage it's good enough. Will appreciate any additional recommendations

Thanks

nowadays 80GB can disappear quite fast, can consider bigger disk like 120-160GB as they're reasonably priced. I think the big jump in price is the 200GB and beyond, still new.

Or consider two 120GB disk for backup purpose.

Also pick a disk with bigger cache (8MB?). Personally using a Maxtor fluid-suspension disk, very quiet. If you like to take a chance, can also buy an OEM nVidia card, performs fine as it uses nVidia reference drivers, mine was $190 compared to $295 for Taiwan branded.

512MB not enuff for me to do photo editing.
    I need ard 1GB.

agree with you, but check for lull price period as DRAM prices fluctuates quite a bit.

YOu should get a better gfx card instead of this lowest end FX5200 when you have such high raw processing power, and also 1GB of ram will greatly improve your mutli-tasking or etc such as editing with Photoshop. Lastly, not forgetting about drive space, indeed 80GB is seriously less than enough when you are frequently storing all your downloaded images, try to double the size since drive are much cheaper than before too.

If you are looking for a no-frill, motherboard, indeed the default Intel brand will just be fine, otherwise, if you wish to juice out the max overclock of your 3.2GHz, then you will definitely have to choose for a stable overclockable motherboard such as Asus, Abit, etc..these are jumperless free easy and stable boards. The Intel board cannot allow such features. Current 3.2GHz is not a overclock friendly processor, maybe, you can choose those 2.8GHz with "MO" stepping or better yet just a 2.4C, these 2.4C has proven to be a favourite chip that most and many overclockers have stable success in simply achieving 3.2GH or even higher. So, you saved up on the issue of buying such as 3.2 when a 2.4 can also be much faster "proven" than the default 3.2GHz when its overclocked to the same speed. Saving on the 3.2GHz to a lower 2.4 or 2.8 can allow you to buy a better gfx card or HDD capacity. So maybe, you can list what is your budget? I'm sure many will be able to assist you.

Quote Originally Posted by nokin

Intel mobo, 875P chipset
    1x1394IEEE Firewire
    8xUSB 2.0
    80GB HDD
    DVD Burner

System mainly used for:
    2D and 3D animation creations and rendering (taking too long with my current P3, 1GHz with integrated graphics and add-on voodoo 8MB card)

Not wanting a super setup, but if the above could suffice my usage it's good enough. Will appreciate any additional recommendations

Thanks
    er dont you think having 8 usb2.0 is a bit overkill...

Quote Originally Posted by nokin

Intel mobo, 875P chipset
    1x1394IEEE Firewire
    8xUSB 2.0
    80GB HDD
    DVD Burner

System mainly used for:

Thanks
    considered dual processors?

Quote Originally Posted by AReality
    512MB not enuff for me to do photo editing.
    I need ard 1GB.
    Firstly, thank you guys for your quick responses. They are indeed helpful.

AReality - can you elaborate why 512MB is not enuff for photo editing. Max resolution I shoot is 2560 x 1920. That should leave plenty of ram for the application to work with in processing.

hwchoy - will consider your suggestion for a larger HDD.

dingdong - thanks for your very detailed explanation of having a mobo and processor that allows over-clocking. But these things are a bit too complicated for me, so have to stay with a standard mobo/processor configuration. I thought that the nVidia FX5200 is a good grafix card, read some reviews on the web.

showtiime - I don't think 8 USB is over kill. One for each of these:-
    Mouse, Printer, Scanner, Card Reader, BroadBand modem, Flash Drive. That leaves me with 2 spare.

mcw - dual processors will bring my cost up (I think). But I thought that HT will emulate dual processors and give me better processing power than standard mobo and processor. Please enlighten.

Thanks again guys.

Your configuration is perfectly fine for what you intend to do with it coz you're not going to edit Jurassic Park or anything like that, photo editing does not take up that much juice. Just some things to note though:

1) When purchasing CPU RAM and Motherboard, buy them from the same shop and ask the shop to test them out to make sure that they all work together. RAM is notorious for compatibility problems. The main focus of your expenditure should be on these 3 items.

2) Don't stinge on the Power Supply, coz its the first thing to die. Get a good one and it'll last thru many upgrades.

3) NVidia video cards are great for gamers but ATI Radeon cards give better colour contrast and saturation. Even a budget card like the 9000PRO with 64MB RAM is sufficient, but I recommend the 9600XT with 128MB RAM, differences in Photoshop will be barely noticeable between both ATI cards but its good if you play the occasional game.

4) Don't use an LCD monitor. Get a good Pro series CRT monitor which accepts DVI input (Make sure your Video card has DVI output). The colours and the resolution are far far better than any LCD can produce. Whats more its a lot cheaper. Remember to callibrate your monitor and they should reproduce your photos pretty accurately.

5) As for storage just do a simple calculation of $ per gigabyte, thats how you find the current sweetspot. Look for the lowest $ per gigabyte when deciding size of hard disk, if I'm not wrong thats currently at 120G. If you shoot professionally try to have some kind of back up strategy no matter how well you PC behaves, it will betray you when you need it to work most.

Hmm, your system is like WHoa to me man.. Haa. If you want to save a little money, a 2.6c will actually be suffice. So far, your specs are a killer! heh. But you might wanna consider getting a larger hard disk.. 120 might just be sufficient

he supposed to get TWO 120GB

You sure you want the Prescott processor? I just got my 2.8E(1m Cache) and its very very hot. Only after i bought it that i knew its a known fact for prescotts to run very hot. My processor now is idling at 60c and max load is 70+c. I abit worried. And i am not sure if the 3.2E is in already.

Oh yes you are gonna need a better gfx card too. Dont know much about Nvidia cards. Personally i would recommend a mid range ATI card like the Radeon 9600 pro or XT. Price is $250-$300.

Once again, thanks for your responses guys.

DeusExMachina -
    Will look around for a better grafix card. Games for me are an occasional affair.
    I will not be using any LCD monitor, seen some on display. Looks like they do not have the color and saturation of CRTs.
    Is there a major difference between DVI and analog input for the CRT? Better clarity?

OzOn3 and whchoy - I start of with a 120G HDD. Can always add-on another when required. Thanks.

Twilo - will consider grafix card other than the nVidia.

just make sure you backup your precious pics onto CD!

Quote Originally Posted by hwchoy
    just make sure you backup your precious pics onto CD!
    First thing I do when I take the card out of the camera is to copy all pics into a CD which I will label "Off The Cam #xxx". Do neccessary PS, then save in HDD which will be backed up periodically. What do you think of this process?

Default Pc

Here's my thoughts. Better to have 2 hard disk rather than one. Disk space can dissappear fast. CPU no need to go overboard. A P4 2.6 or 2.8 is good enough. Increase the RAM to 1 GB as it is very cheap now.

My current setup now is P4 2.8, 1GB RAM, 120 GB hard disk for primary and 200 GB hard disk for secondary, ATI Radeon 9600XT, DVD writer, scanner and photo printer. You may not need what I mentioned above but I came to my current setup after about 1 and half years of doing editing. I do photo editing and also video thus the big hard disk space required. A 20 minute of video uploaded from my Video cam is 4 GB. Then there is the music files and work files. Don't forget you need to save all these before going on to the next project. If you do not save it and then decided that you want to change a scene in the video then you will have to do it all over again. This is all from my experience. So if you just want to do photo editing then the disk space can be reduced but honestly I think the RAM and CPU and VGA card should be about there. This is only my opinion though. Cheers.

this is fine if you are selective with your shoots. for my case I shoot hundreds and normally whittle down to 2-5 per 100 so I normally pick out the ones I want before saving on media.

But your process works fine.

Default Note

My comments above is for you to save some money. However if you have more to spend then 3GB and more CPU is better.

Quote Originally Posted by jbma
    Here's my thoughts. Better to have 2 hard disk rather than one. Disk space can dissappear fast. CPU no need to go overboard. A P4 2.6 or 2.8 is good enough. Increase the RAM to 1 GB as it is very cheap now.

My current setup now is P4 2.8, 1GB RAM, 120 GB hard disk for primary and 200 GB hard disk for secondary, ATI Radeon 9600XT, DVD writer, scanner and photo printer. You may not need what I mentioned above but I came to my current setup after about 1 and half years of doing editing. I do photo editing and also video thus the big hard disk space required. A 20 minute of video uploaded from my Video cam is 4 GB. Then there is the music files and work files. Don't forget you need to save all these before going on to the next project. If you do not save it and then decided that you want to change a scene in the video then you will have to do it all over again. This is all from my experience. So if you just want to do photo editing then the disk space can be reduced but honestly I think the RAM and CPU and VGA card should be about there. This is only my opinion though. Cheers.
    We have an almost identical setup. You have more storage than i do as i do not do video. I agree totally that a 2.6 or 2.8C is more than sufficient. Same thoughts on the ram and graphic card as well.

Thumbs up Hmmm

Well well well....didn't I see you at Sim Lim before he he!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast