Thread: Looking for Publishers and an authentic coffeeshop.

Default Looking for Publishers and an authentic coffeeshop.

Hey everyone,
    My lecturer, a few friends and I are planning to publish a pictorial book featuring some of the best photography works done by the students. We are looking for publishers right now and hope to publish it before we graduate.

Does anyone here know any local book publishers? Will be glad if you can pass me the contacts.

Also need some advice and recommendations from all of you about coffeeshops.

I am searching for an old and authentic coffeeshop in Singapore as one of my locations for my upcoming film shoot in March. Any recommendations?

Regards,
    -Michelle-

there's an old coffeeshop at stamford road.. dunno if it's closed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103
    Does anyone here know any local book publishers? Will be glad if you can pass me the contacts.
    Printers or publishers?

Publishers are those that handle your book printing and marketing and circulation, etc. Printers are those who just print your book.

To get a publisher means contracts, profits and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Printers or publishers?

Publishers are those that handle your book printing and marketing and circulation, etc. Printers are those who just print your book.

To get a publisher means contracts, profits and stuff.
    Hi,
    Sorry ah... didn't know about the difference between publishers and printers.

Then if that's the case, what I meant is printers.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,
    -Michelle-

I don't have much of an experience with printers; in fact I only worked with one for my hall's annual yearbook last year (and probably this year as well). We printed around 500 copies from them.

Naili Printing Industry
    104 Boon Keng Rd #06-06 Singapore 339775
    Telephone : 6294 2408
    Fax : 6296 5263

They're pretty good and understands our requirements (which can get a bit complicated). If you're a newbie in book layout and stuff do ask them for technical advice...they are most happy to help. Doing layout is not just slapping together some pictures and text in Microsoft Word...

If you are talking about printing small quantities for personal keepsake, then look around Bras Brasah for those digital printing shops and ask them to do printing and binding for you. One particular shop I go to last time is ColorDoc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    I don't have much of an experience with printers; in fact I only worked with one for my hall's annual yearbook last year (and probably this year as well). We printed around 500 copies from them.

Naili Printing Industry
    104 Boon Keng Rd #06-06 Singapore 339775
    Telephone : 6294 2408
    Fax : 6296 5263

They're pretty good and understands our requirements (which can get a bit complicated). If you're a newbie in book layout and stuff do ask them for technical advice...they are most happy to help. Doing layout is not just slapping together some pictures and text in Microsoft Word...

If you are talking about printing small quantities for personal keepsake, then look around Bras Brasah for those digital printing shops and ask them to do printing and binding for you. One particular shop I go to last time is ColorDoc.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your information.

Just curious - how long does it take to plan the layout of the book, select the colors, design everything, all the way until the final product including the printing?

Regards,
    -Michelle-

Michelle,

I assume you are talking about printers, let me share my experience with you having got one book project done sometime back. We did a relaunch of an old book on life in Changi prison during WWII, it is called "The Changi Story". The photography and artwork on that book is mainly my contribution to the project.

What quantities are you looking at? Min I guess is 1,000 copies. As for how long the project takes, about 3 months... it all depends how responsive your printers are in coming back with the work that you commission them to do, such as photography, design (book cover) and page layout etc. How fast do you proof-read?

I went with Stamford Press for my project, but they are a little pricey when you compare them with smaller print houses that you can find elsewhere. Also, what kind of quality do you expect, cause smaller printers can do it cheaper but don't expect first rate results.

Also, cost per book has an inverse relationsship with the number of copies you print...economies of scale they call it...

Hi,
    I'm also currently looking for an exhibition space because we are also planning to put up an exhibition before June. Besides Objectifs and Epson Art Gallery at Wheelock Place, does anyone have any recommends?

Something extra - helping a friend to look for a NPCC Polic uniform and a BMX bicycle for teenagers. Anybody here can lend/rent to my friend?

A million thanks in advance!

Regards,
    -Michelle-

Quote Originally Posted by mich_2103
    Hi,
    I'm also currently looking for an exhibition space because we are also planning to put up an exhibition before June. Besides Objectifs and Epson Art Gallery at Wheelock Place, does anyone have any recommends?

Something extra - helping a friend to look for a NPCC Polic uniform and a BMX bicycle for teenagers. Anybody here can lend/rent to my friend?

A million thanks in advance!

Regards,
    -Michelle-
    what kind of audience are you targeting? and what's the theme of your works?
    these info might be helpful in narrowing the search for a optimal location.

Regarding the coffeeshops, not sure what setting you want, but my votes goes to:-
    1. Killiney Road Kopitiam at Killiney Road
    2. CMC coffeeshop at Katong, next to the Holy Family Church

I am sure there are others too. Just my 2 cents.

Yeah Katong have many old old coffee shops... very in the mood...