Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Anyone Wana start a thread on product photography?

Quote Originally Posted by steely
    I will, once I get the gist of your advise ....I got a brain block somewhere.
    let mr try, first set up lighting for the background, then set up the object and add lighting accordingly?
    well, you meter the background first, put it in whichever zone you want. so for a white BG, make it look white. Then when you introduce your subject, use your lighting to balance the contrast. Take into consideration the exposure latitude of your medium (negative, reversal, digital) and bracket.

This method will ensure that your BG and foreground are well balanced in exposure. However, sometimes you might want some other effect.....

Quote Originally Posted by zguy
    Shouldnt cost u more than $10 to build it... have fun!
    Thanks Zguy!
    hmmmm.....those white ah-pek undershirts ( with sleeves) are thin enuff and stretchable , and in XXXL size will be big enuff!
    You have a flair for DIY and innovation Zguy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    well, you meter the background first, put it in whichever zone you want. so for a white BG, make it look white. Then when you introduce your subject, use your lighting to balance the contrast. Take into consideration the exposure latitude of your medium (negative, reversal, digital) and bracket.
    This method will ensure that your BG and foreground are well balanced in exposure. However, sometimes you might want some other effect.....
    Gotcha!Thanks! will try and report my experimenting!

Default Ot

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    wow! 50mm f/1.8 with USM! i want! i want!

sniperd, are you using a remote trigger for your camera?
    Haha...how I wish. The original lens cap was deep down somewhere in the crevices of the University Cultural Centre. CP push to me this lens cap at $10, no choice but to buy it...can't stand having no lens cap...anyway it's pretty cool to have the lens cap.

here's some of mine.. used a home made tent n 2 lamps..

Quote Originally Posted by hackie

* togu clap clap clap, very good!

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    wow! 50mm f/1.8 with USM! i want! i want!

sniperd, are you using a remote trigger for your camera?
    nope... when it's too low shutter speed I usually set it to timer (no $$ to buy the RS)

Quote Originally Posted by hackie
    Nice Nice!!

I tried with my RX-78 and Sazabi, without a light tent, using natural and a floor lamp with a seamless background ( mahjong paper LOL! ) , but always have insufficient light, added another floor lamp; solved prob#1 end with too much shadows and created prob#2!

Quote Originally Posted by steely
    Nice Nice!!

I tried with my RX-78 and Sazabi, without a light tent, using natural and a floor lamp with a seamless background ( mahjong paper LOL! ) , but always have insufficient light, added another floor lamp; solved prob#1 end with too much shadows and created prob#2!
    guess u need to build/buy a light tent to diffuse the lights. That will create less shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by lOrBeRt
    Nice lightings. But I think if the wordings can appear would make the product look much better. Don't you agree? How about sharing your setup?

yup, in product photography, try to get as much details as possible.
    for the light reflective up, you can use a light cutter (gobo) to block that particular spot so that the wordings all show up. it helps to diffuse the light too.

Quote Originally Posted by zguy
    guess u need to build/buy a light tent to diffuse the lights. That will create less shadow.
    Yups.....looking into that or else have to move my mahjong paper and gundams, whateva to the top floor of the multistory carpack nearby

hey cheesecake, care to post a photo of ur "clamp light-holders"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    i was trying to mimick the successful tiger beer ads back then during the 'tiger time' days! haha

it is a really simple set-up, mr.tay.
    but getting the composition in, and the lights to fall into the right place, is another thing. u can try to get it done like what RNCW has done with his ikea lightings or like my own preferred clamp light-holders.

u can get these low cost lightings and have hours of fun... literally.

we r all learning too!

More light Tent ideas!

Found this website
    http://bermangraphics.com/coolpix/jewelryphoto.htm

Tim Woiner of Brooks Metals, a jewelry wholesaler in Pittsburgh, hired me as a consultant to teach him to photograph jewelry for in house use and promotional mailings. The above picture is the light tent I helped him build out of items that he had around the office. The Lowell hot light hanging above the set could easily be replaced with a reflector and daylight bulb.

The frame for the light tent is a file cabinet frame for hanging folders. I used white pillowcases to surround it to soften the light and eliminate reflections. The white pieces of fome-cor are used to back the pillowcases on the sides if more light is needed because the pillowcases let some of the light through.

The additional clip-on light is used when a more directional fill is needed to give dimension to the piece of jewelry.

Additional Information
    Important to note that Tim uses a small table top tripod to keep the camera steady during exposures.

The soft wrapping light that an umbrella or soft box puts out is only available if the device is closer than the diagonal size of the device. If it's used further away than that distance, it turns into a more direct light source.
    * steely - this I don't understand

When Tim first showed me the set up, he had the Lowell soft box hanging from the ceiling and he was shooting on the floor. It was almost no different than using on camera flash. I moved the set to a table to keep the light source within that magic distance and his pictures improved right away.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123