Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Wana start a thread on product photography?

Quote Originally Posted by hptay
    Hi Cheesecake,

your photo looks very unique.
    its colors are very brilliant.. screaming out for me to go get a tiger.. hahah
    perhaps I will try to mimic your photo if you don mind Though ur setup sounds simple, I doubt I will even come close to reproducing such effects ...

so much to learn...
    i was trying to mimick the successful tiger beer ads back then during the 'tiger time' days! haha

it is a really simple set-up, mr.tay.
    but getting the composition in, and the lights to fall into the right place, is another thing. u can try to get it done like what RNCW has done with his ikea lightings or like my own preferred clamp light-holders.

u can get these low cost lightings and have hours of fun... literally.

we r all learning too!
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesecake
    it is a really simple set-up, mr.tay.
    OT alittle ..
    just call me hp lar..
    make me sound so old.. hahaha

Rcnw, thats a good setup compared to forking out money for the Light-tent and camera lights!

I tried with 2 floor lamps ( LoL! ) before and the lighting still aren't enough and throws harsh shadows.... needs diffusing.
    Your setup works much better, with a seamless background and mebbe muslin draped on the lamps ( can buy at Spotlight); i think will work close to a light tent!

Most times I observe a white background ends up looking grayish though...

Quote Originally Posted by steely
    Rcnw, thats a good setup compared to forking out money for the Light-tent and camera lights!

I tried with 2 floor lamps ( LoL! ) before and the lighting still aren't enough and throws harsh shadows.... needs diffusing.
    Your setup works much better, with a seamless background and mebbe muslin draped on the lamps ( can buy at Spotlight); i think will work close to a light tent!

to get a nice and uniform background (white or otherwise) you need to light it seperately from your subject. that will ensure the best lighting.

i once learnt that you expose for the background first, then the subject. but that was mainly for outdoor portraiture. the theory is you make sure the BG is nicely exposed, then light the subject to balance. try it, see if you like it.

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan

rncw:
    1 shot - looks underexposed to me. 1/2 or 1 stop more should be ok. the word "rosso" look like the squares are greyish.

2nd shot - overall, lighting is better than 1st shot. good usage of multiple light sources, as evident as you showed later
    for the first shot, as its all white, i'm being conservative...therefore the under-exposure.

for the 2nd pic, in fact for all the rosso pics, it was shot in a dark room with only one light source.

all shot using the proline tent.

was using a proline tent (on loan from someone) actually...

when using with the proline tent, i think 2 lights are not sufficient...at least 3 of those i'm using...
    Last edited by rncw; 24th February 2004 at 05:46 PM.

Default pen

just a quick setup ..nikon coolpix in macro mode..homemade light tent and available light

Initally use this setup to test out EOS 300D's ISO noise. Sharing here and perhaps get some comments?

Done with custom white balance with white paper as background.

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao
    Initally use this setup to test out EOS 300D's ISO noise. Sharing here and perhaps get some comments?

Nice lightings. But I think if the wordings can appear would make the product look much better. Don't you agree? How about sharing your setup?
    Lorbert.Tay@Fiat.SG

Quote Originally Posted by rncw
    was using a proline tent (on loan from someone) actually...

when using with the proline tent, i think 2 lights are not sufficient...at least 3 of those i'm using...

I'm shattered...

hehehe...muz perservere... muz save money....muz DIY....

Quote Originally Posted by leonzhu
    to get a nice and uniform background (white or otherwise) you need to light it seperately from your subject. that will ensure the best lighting.

i once learnt that you expose for the background first, then the subject. but that was mainly for outdoor portraiture. the theory is you make sure the BG is nicely exposed, then light the subject to balance. try it, see if you like it.
    I will, once I get the gist of your advise ....I got a brain block somewhere.
    let mr try, first set up lighting for the background, then set up the object and add lighting accordingly?

Quote Originally Posted by zguy
    just a quick setup ..nikon coolpix in macro mode..homemade light tent and available light
    zguy, could you share more on the homemade light tent?

Here's a few stuff I did for magazines & product brochures:

example 1:

shot direct with fill flash and available light. Background - mahjong paper

example 2:

shot direct with fill flash, reflector on left and available light on top right.

example 3:

very straightforward shot. Fill flash and available light. Background - white cloth

example 4:

Fill flash on the background, one scource point light on the top left. Ambient light.

Example 5:

Fill flash (bounced) with reflector on front to fill the background. Tungsten lighted from the side to have warm effect. Background - mahjong paper

Heehee

my setup using 2 lights (which i dun think is enuff...)

temptation...temptation.....

temptation...temptation.....
    the lights only costs $12.90 (abt there), and bulbs $8+ each... cheap cheap

hahaha, true ah...forgot you borrowed the tent.....

Quote Originally Posted by lOrBeRt
    Nice lightings. But I think if the wordings can appear would make the product look much better. Don't you agree? How about sharing your setup?
    Thanks for your valuable comments! This picture wasn't really meant to photograph the lens as a product, but for other purposes, so I didn't really take care of the details.

Set up? Haha...it's just a piece of A4 white paper as the background and the product lit using a florescent lighting. Custom white balance was used.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Ah Pao

wow! 50mm f/1.8 with USM! i want! i want!

sniperd, are you using a remote trigger for your camera?

Default DIY light tent

zguy, could you share more on the homemade light tent?
    orh...just buy some stiff wire (the same kind used by florist) from ART FRIEND in Bras Brasah. Use it to built a wireframe box. I do not have a photo to show it now but just think of it as a skeleton box.

next find a white t-shirt that is not too thick and slip it over the entire wireframe. I did not built my light tent too big so that a tee shirt can slip over it. Place the lightbox near the window on a bright sunny day.

To prevent reflections on shiny objects such as pens, I usually use of of the sleeve opening to slip in my lens and wrap it tight so that the pen only reflect the white "walls" of the tent. i use a black mounting board as the base for the pen picture i posted. Then crop to taste.

Camera should be mounted on a tripod.

Shouldnt cost u more than $10 to build it... have fun!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast