Thread: newbie in photography

Default newbie in photography

Hi CSers,

any tips or guidance for me as i am invited to my friends ROM as a photography. my equipment is EOS 450D with 24 - 105 F4 lens. currently im without a flashlight, wonder will it be sufficient. please advice me many thansk~

Default Re: newbie in photography

External flash is almost a must given your situation. highly advisable. and whatever it is, avoid the pop-up flash. I say this because if you really want to cover it without flash, then you need an f2.8 lens and a body with exceptional high iso performance, none of which you have.

lens wise, i think the 24-105 should be good, but you do need something wider for group shots.

all the best!
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

Hello, please allow me to put in several of my experience:
    1. External flash is an absolute necessity. A good one - 430EXII or 580EXII, with diffuser.
    2. 24-105mm f/4.0 ok with external flash. Because for most of your indoor Wedding dinner shots, you will be at f4.0, shutter speed 1/60 or 1/30, and ISO 400-800. It would certainly be ideal to have a lens with aperture at f/2.8 or even wider. But if you don't have such a lens, just make do with your current one.

I would suggest running through the following threads. Good info inside:

This one very interesting.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...g+photographer

many thanks for the info...im trying to borrow from friend if not....then maybe go rent for 1 day...hurhur

oops...i forget to mention i got 50mm 1.8

Quote Originally Posted by kaijie1981 View Post
    oops...i forget to mention i got 50mm 1.8
    Yes, of course can also use it. But as you will be doing close up shots alternating with portrait shots in quick successions during this ROM session, thus it becomes not too practical to just fix on the 50mm f/1.8 and start blasting away.
    This may be good for portrait photos of quiet moments when the bride is making up, or when the groom is fitting his jacket, and putting on shoes and such.
    My very humble opinion.

get a flash, and if its on your budget, a second body + wide lens (maybe a 17-40 or 16-35).

most wedding photographers i've seen always carry at least two bodies if not more to walk around with...
    "its a bit like sports photography cause your haulin' gear but not as exciting" as one told me haha

many thanks for the info...im trying to borrow from friend if not....then maybe go rent for 1 day...hurhur
    Did you have experience in using the external flash in the first place? You might want to give yourself sometime to get used to it instead of experimenting on that day itself.

thanks for the guidance

hurhur i got the EX 580 liao wahaha can go and try try try

Blog Entries

Hi CSers,

any tips or guidance for me as i am invited to my friends ROM as a photography. my equipment is EOS 450D with 24 - 105 F4 lens. currently im without a flashlight, wonder will it be sufficient. please advice me many thansk~
    okkies. first tip. dun go. if u gonna be a photography. tat sucks. i'll rather be a photographer

welcome to CS
    all the best to ur wed shoot
    D.S.L.R

Welcome to CS, remember to post your photos...
    Olympus E-P2, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 17mm F2.8, M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6, FL-14 Flash

OOPS!!!!! didnt notice my spelling! wahahahhaha

Personal advice.. dun go & take other ppl/frds ROM or wedding if u dun possess the necessary skill/gear to do so..

Likely to spoil ppl important day in life w/ unusable pics for memories
    & what u get will be lots of cursing in front/behind ur back & even lose a frd due to constant nagging frm his/her spouse