Thread: Panning Shots

Default Panning Shots

Really got bitten by the photo bug and have gone from a 500D to a 50D in 3 months and loving every min of it. Could the Gurus here help with a good and near perfect setting for panning shots....I understand the basics of panning but would like to compare what the Gurus here have to say....many many thanks in advance...

Default Re: Panning Shots

There's no such thing as "perfect settings". You are looking for a magic formula. There is none. It all depands on:

1. How fast the object is moving
    2. How far away you are
    3. What type of lens you have
    4. What the available lighting conditions are.

Practice practice practice...
    Alpha

Thank you Sir....not really looking for a magic formula but at least some basic setting that can pull off a good panning shot ie shoot in which model/shutter speed/ISO/other setting? I understand that many factor will come into play when taking a photo but a least something to start out with.

I was taught to shoot in Tv with a shutter speed on 1/30 with ISO at 400 and continuous shooting....Any changes or better way?

Quote Originally Posted by C500D View Post
    Thank you Sir....not really looking for a magic formula but at least some basic setting that can pull off a good panning shot ie shoot in which model/shutter speed/ISO/other setting? I understand that many factor will come into play when taking a photo but a least something to start out with.

I was taught to shoot in Tv with a shutter speed on 1/30 with ISO at 400 and continuous shooting....Any changes or better way?
    Like I said... There are too many unknowns to figure out what you want. What are you taking a panning shot of, anyway? Daytime? Nighttime? What lens? How far away? etc etc etc

Why ISO 400? Do you need ISO 400? Maybe you only need 100. Maybe you need 800 or 1600.

There is no solid advice that can be given when we have no idea about all the unknowns.

If you cannot provide data, then just set your ISO to auto and practice. Then see what settings the camera chose.
    Alpha

Good advice thank you buddy

Different moving subject/object, you'll need different settings.

Enjoyed the pics in your blog buddy thank you....

some of panning shots..
    using shutter mode or TV mode for canon.
    forgot the shutter speed but i think arnd 1/100 and below i guess.
    iso 200

cheers..