Thread: Shinkansen seating info

Default Shinkansen seating info

I tried search google for a while and can't find any seating info for shinkansen as i want to know whats the rear seat number of non smoking cabin as there usually a small space at the back of the seat where i can park large luggage. Any one got any link of the seat map of any shinkansen?

Default Re: Shinkansen seating info

Have you went to JTB located at Mandarin Hotel to enquire?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmax View Post
    Have you went to JTB located at Mandarin Hotel to enquire?
    was hoping theres some online info.

Quote Originally Posted by teowws View Post
    I tried search google for a while and can't find any seating info for shinkansen as i want to know whats the rear seat number of non smoking cabin as there usually a small space at the back of the seat where i can park large luggage. Any one got any link of the seat map of any shinkansen?
    I think it also depends on which direction the train is moving? Easiest is to request when you reserve the seating with the JR office.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    I think it also depends on which direction the train is moving? Easiest is to request when you reserve the seating with the JR office.
    i ever did that by requesting but seems like sometimes the staff do not understand my needs and can see he/she looks blank....so was thinking if i know the seat map at least can just ask whether these seats is taken and if not book it be it either direction. I ever saw the seat map somewhere can't remember where but couldn't find it now.

have you bought the JR pass from the JTB yet? Maybe you can get the staff there to scribble down your intentions in japanese and show it to the ticketing staff over there.

Quote Originally Posted by ahbian View Post
    have you bought the JR pass from the JTB yet? Maybe you can get the staff there to scribble down your intentions in japanese and show it to the ticketing staff over there.
    btw last 3 times i bought JR pass is from ANA office, i remember different agency have different foreign exchange rate so any idea which agency have better rates?

btw last 3 times i bought JR pass is from ANA office, i remember different agency have different foreign exchange rate so any idea which agency have better rates?
    oh, I bought from JTB at ION, I didn't realise that there are different rates.

Quote Originally Posted by ShutterCentral View Post
    some agency has 5% discount if you pay cash.
    oh really, mind tell me which agency u came across.

I think it depends on how many carriages there are, the shinkansen has a few combinations. But i remember the smoking carriage is no 15....

From my experience, seat reservation can only be done when you get your tickets in Japan. What they give you here is a voucher to exchange for the JR pass. It seems that reserved seats are allocated to specific cabins. The space behind for large luggage depends if someone hasn't already taken it. See your luck!

The bullet train from Narita to Tokyo have spaces at the front/rear of each cabin for you to place your bag. As for the other trains, there is probably sufficient space for you to either put on the overhead shelf or squeeze between your legs and the seat in front. Don't remember these bullet trains that travel between cities having spaces at the front/rear of cabin for bags.

Rear seat numbers actually depends on the direction the train is traveling. Basically the trains do not do a turnaround when they reach their terminating station. They just travel back in the opposite direction. I can't recall which direction does the lower number starts from the front, and which direction does the lower number starts from the rear. Can't help you there.

Quote Originally Posted by thengz View Post
    The bullet train from Narita to Tokyo have spaces at the front/rear of each cabin for you to place your bag. As for the other trains, there is probably sufficient space for you to either put on the overhead shelf or squeeze between your legs and the seat in front. Don't remember these bullet trains that travel between cities having spaces at the front/rear of cabin for bags.

Rear seat numbers actually depends on the direction the train is traveling. Basically the trains do not do a turnaround when they reach their terminating station. They just travel back in the opposite direction. I can't recall which direction does the lower number starts from the front, and which direction does the lower number starts from the rear. Can't help you there.
    yes there are gaps right at the back of the last seat which i had utilize 2 times during my trips and i think their seats are turn towards the direction of the travel at their terminal station. Putting my 24inch hardcase luggage infront is pretty uncomfortable when u want to stretch your legs. I think the baggage space your refer is the baggage space between cabin like in Narita Express, i don't think Shinkasen have this type of space for baggage in between cabins.

I've been on one of those and I know when train travels towards different direction the seat numbering would be different. For the Sanyo/Tokaido Shinkansen, the seats in the front have larger number when heading towards Tokyo. Vice Versa.

http://www.flickr.com/pho..../sizes/o/

The NEX and Tohoku Shinkansen (that I know of) have luggage areas in the front/end (depends on your direction) of each carriage, you can place them there.

For the other LEXes, you will likely have to squeeze behind the last row of seats. But beware if the train switches direction and people start turning their seats around - go and move the luggages first to avoid inconveniencing the people seated at the last (now first after turning) rows.

Quote Originally Posted by nutek View Post
    The NEX and Tohoku Shinkansen (that I know of) have luggage areas in the front/end (depends on your direction) of each carriage, you can place them there.

For the other LEXes, you will likely have to squeeze behind the last row of seats. But beware if the train switches direction and people start turning their seats around - go and move the luggages first to avoid inconveniencing the people seated at the last (now first after turning) rows.
    well i'm more concern of trying to get the seat on shinkansen so either diretion will only concern me since its either 1st or last seat so wouldn't inconvenience others. Most of the time the reservation guy won't understand what i want when telling them the seat that can hold a larger baggage so rather have the seat map then trying to explain to them.

It doesn't matter what's the allocated reserved seats. There're racks at the end of carriage cabins that you can safety stow your large bags. If you turn the seat row the spaces created can stow medium size bags. In general Japan is safe; need not worry too much.