Thread: Go Digital Mag: Camcorder info article

Lightbulb Go Digital Mag: Camcorder info article

Hi Folks,

I'm doing an info article on Camcorders for a future issue of Go Digital Mag. I'd like to know what questions u guys (newbies and pros) have on choosing camcorders. ie, are u going for consumer or prosumer models, does brand affect you, what occasions do you use it? Do you shoot Hi-definition?
    And then we'll get the pros to answer your queries.

Apart from consumer camcorders, we'll also feature "what's out there". ie, Hi-definition camcorders like the JVC's Hi-def JY-HD10U camcorder... pro specs at consumer prices. For those interested, u can contact the nice guys at JVC at 6250 6696 and if u ask nicely, they'll gladly demo it for u.

Cheers,
    David Ng
    Go Digital Mag

Lightbulb Go Digital Mag: Camcorder info article

Hi Folks,

I'm doing an info article on Camcorders for a future issue of Go Digital Mag. I'd like to know what questions u guys (newbies and pros) have on choosing camcorders. ie, are u going for consumer or prosumer models, does brand affect you, what occasions do you use it? Do you shoot Hi-definition?
    And then we'll get the pros to answer your queries.

Apart from consumer camcorders, we'll also feature "what's out there" pro models. ie, Hi-definition camcorders like the JVC's Hi-def JY-HD10U camcorder... pro specs at consumer prices. For those interested, u can contact the nice guys at JVC at 6250 6696 and if u ask nicely, they'll gladly demo it for u.

Cheers,
    David Ng
    Go Digital Mag

are u going for consumer or prosumer models?
    depends on what i can afford

does brand affect you?
    frankly, it doesn't

what occasions do you use it?
    hopefully to shoot a short film [like what everyone seems to be doing nowadays]

Do you shoot Hi-definition?
    nope, don't own camcorder yet, hi-defination is interesting, needs industry support and TVs have to catch up too

it would be good if we can have comparison across different popular model and manufacturer.

most of us (at least for me) usually starts with a budget in mind before starting to look for a cam recorder, so if there is something like best buy recommendation for $1000-$1500 range, $1500-2000 range, etc it would be great.....

some question will be
    1) how easy to record,
    2) video quality
    3) transfer to PC, highlight issue with u need firewire port etc,
    4) issue relating to editing and post recording, (here is where software bundle is impt)
    5) sharing your work

before i brought my camrecorder, 1 and 2 are predominating in my mind,
    there is lots of models out there and as first time buyer of camrecorder, u just get overwelmed by the choice and subtle different.....
    4 and 5 are the major headache now......

other stuffs i just found out
    6) recomended PC spec for doing video editing, editing will be a chore if your have low end PC
    7) storage - file size of your video clip (think unedited 1 hour clip in avi format is ard 13 GB) so storage is quite an issue.... ,
    ie u might need to buy DVD burner, upgrade your pc etc.....

most of the time, people will thot, just buy a camrecorder and that's it......
    so would be good to give a holistic view, including the hidden cost .....