Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cant decide yet. Forgive me

Default Re: Cant decide yet. Forgive me

Quote Originally Posted by android17
    Nope, thats the opposite. If you wanna get image stabilization, then Nikon and Canon will be much more expensive. This is cause Canon and Nikon sells their stabilized lens very ex.

Compared to Sony and Pentax, with sensor stabilization, they can buy normal lens (cheaper) and still enjoy image stabilization.

Quoting an example:

Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens. This lens has mountings for Canon, Nikon, Pentax and Sony (meaning the lens has different mountings to fit their respective brands, but essentially the lens is the same).

For Canon and Nikon, in order to get image stabilization for this lens, they need to buy the one which has build in VC. This cost around $950 in Singapore.

For Pentax and Sony, we only need to buy the non VC version for $610, and enjoy the same image stabilization effect.

This is but one example, im using this lens as it is pretty common and all major brands uses it. But u get the idea behind it Now think, for every lens that you buy that comes with image stabilization, the extra amount of money u has to spend for Nikon and Canon mount, and the amount you can save with Pentax and Sony (and yet enjoy the stabilization effect).

PS: now is the perfect time to get a Sony A500. There's a promotion going on, and that promo is so good that you really should give it a real hard consideration.
    Essentially, one of the big differences between in-camera and lens stabilization is the stabilization of the image reaching the viewfinder. With the lens stabilization, you see the effect in the viewfinder. Not so with the body-stabilized cameras.
    Arguably, this difference is negligible at the shorter focal lengths.
    When you're talking about 300 or 400mm telephoto lenses, it might make enough of a difference to a pro.
    Furthermore, having the stabilization on the lens allows it to be 'customized' to suit the lens' characteristics.

Marketing and pride has probably prevented Nikon and Canon from moving to in-body stabilization, at least for the amateur range. It (in-body stabilization) certainly seems like the better value-for-money proposition.
    Exploring! :)

Quote Originally Posted by afiy92
    Not getting it now but still its better for me to do some research and ask from the others about what their comments / reviews on particular model and such .

Okay I am more to street photography I should say . I will just snap anything that looks nice too .

More of landscape I should say . Macro is just not into me maybe in later stage perhaps .

Secondly I do skate anyway maybe can take of people skateboarding doing their tricks too .

I have few models in my mind seriously but I've yet to decide which one should I go for if I want to learn and get into photography.

Sony A330
    Sony A320

^^ Specifications wise good enough for just a beginner but the main thing both my mum and brother told me go for NIKON/CANON because its the best

D3000
    D5000

^^ heard both pros and cons d3000 functions wise just sucks and d5000 is almost the same as d3000 just that it have tilt screen

Canon 1000D

^^ lousy specifications from what i heard

Pentax Kx

^^ I don't know just that PENTAX is just not into me

Canon 500D

^^ Price wise abit steep but the best . Thought of getting that . Any comments?
    I think you should read proper reviews and then judge the cameras for yourself at one of the friendly camera stores. Don't believe what other people say, especially if they are not photographers themselves.
    When you say to yourself that a camera has 'lousy specifications', for example, you are effectively writing that camera off. If it's so lousy, does that mean the people who bought it are idiots?

You need to figure out what sort of specifications are important to you, then shortlist the cameras you think you can afford that meet those requirements.

I use cars as an analogy (again).
    A racing driver might not even want to touch a Japanese 4-door sedan with a pole, coz obviously the specs (low power, soft springs, etc) won't attract him. Does that mean it's a lousy car? No... it's made to target a certain market segment.
    Exploring! :)

Have you tried the cameras that you have listed? Base from your "wants" in a camera, I see that your budget is the limiting factor for choosing.

Choosing a body is just the first step. You also need to plan for your lens line up. I tell you, that's the most difficult part to budget.

Look at each maker's kitlens.I don't suggest you buy upgrade from the kitlens at the moment. Read reviews about them and compare. Just google them up. There are kitlens comparison over the net. Usually each makers will offer you dual kitlens, short and long tele. This will usually cover 18mm-200mm which is enough in practice.

When you have decided the lens you want to go to, the body will follow. Don' be afraid of the body the you will end up with. They are almost the same. Just live-up with your decision and move on.

Along the way, you will realize that you need a better lens. You need faster lens to avoid blur images. Wider lens to accommodate group shots. Prime lens to achieve good background blur, and etc. etc. During these moments, I bet that you know already what you are looking for both body and lens. You may consider sticking to your current brand or jump shift to other brands. JUmping to other brands will not cost you much. You only have invested on cheap body and kitlens, you can easily sell them. Ofcourse at a lost but the realization and knowledge is priceless.
    Last edited by streetlife; 3rd January 2010 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rgy1993 View Post

do you want a bulletproof system -> olympus
    this is funny, you will need in when u go Iraq do landscaping haha

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    aiyo...

pentax also has arguably cheaper lenses.. and can be considered quite rugged..

anyways, i think the feel is the most important. all dslrs are good dslrs. the problem is that most people do not know how to maximise what they have
    oh ya hahaha i forgot that all pentax's are weather sealed my bad

@Rashkae
    All that sounds like the 500D is not a match for your needs.
    I don't know but all of a sudden I just fall in love with 500D because its something worth my $$$ if I were to get Canon cam

Who will be using the cam? You or your parents/brother? And do they know what you'll be buying a sony sensor if you get the Nikons? Be aware that the D3k and D5k have no built-in autofocus motor, and the Live view uses a slow AF system.
    Majority will be me using the cam .

@rgy1993

hahah im actually joking, duno if you picked that up... thats just how i tend to sum up the diff brands...

arguably, i say again, arguably, canon have cheaper lenses then other brands... some people agree others don't its up to them.
    Can canon lenses use 3rd party lenses?

@rgy1993, night86mare
    well dont buy it then
    er, pentax is not into you?
    Yeah pentax is just like not into me and seriously don't why either . Is it because of the brand that isn't popular in Singapore?
    Okay guys please don't screw me about that

@ night86mare

anyways, i think the feel is the most important. all dslrs are good dslrs. the problem is that most people do not know how to maximise what they have
    Yeah agree with you but on the other hand i want it worth to buy especially with the functions so that in future i dont need to upgrade or so .

Quote Originally Posted by afiy92 View Post
    ... but on the other hand i want it worth to buy especially with the functions so that in future i dont need to upgrade or so .
    You are going to get a DSLR to take photos right? So you need a sensor to capture the image right? All the DSLRs can take photos and have the necessary functions to adjust the exposure and a shutter button. It's just a matter of whether it is better than that or this is lousier than that. You only need a decent body to produce excellent photos. If you are getting a dslr that doesnt need to be upgraded, get the best and newest in the market. and another newer camera will replace it in no time.

Blog Entries

@Rashkae
    I don't know but all of a sudden I just fall in love with 500D because its something worth my $$$ if I were to get Canon cam
    Then just get the 500D

Can canon lenses use 3rd party lenses?
    All major brands can, Pentax, Sony, Olympus included.

Yeah pentax is just like not into me and seriously don't why either . Is it because of the brand that isn't popular in Singapore?
    No one will screw you. But it is a real pity because IMHO the new Pentax K-x is the strongest model right now in terms of features/performace in the price range you are looking at. If I am to start again, and start clean with no access to any legacy equipment, I would have gone Pentax.

Yeah agree with you but on the other hand i want it worth to buy especially with the functions so that in future i dont need to upgrade or so
    With that in mind, you should be considering the following equipment instead:

Canon 50D, 5Dm2 or 7D
    Nikon D90, D300s or D700
    Pentax K-x or K-7
    Sony A550, A700 or A850
    Olumpus E-650 or E-3
    Last edited by daredevil123; 3rd January 2010 at 03:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    Got A320 mah?

I think they may have swallowed up the salesperson's marketing speeches hook, line and sinker.

and both use Sony Sensors...

How is it the best? In what way? No tilt-screen LCD, no in-built IS, not fast AF in live view...
    sony sensors are use, cos its more economical i suppose compare to developing their own...

just like in F1, a few teams use mercedes engine, but only the team (Brawn GP) who make full use as a package won the championship in 2009..

and the fact that mercedes who supplied the engine in 2009 to the winning team dont even field a team in F1...
    life is but a dream...

I will really encourage you to check out the Pentax K-x. It is really quite on par with the competition, and arguably has the best low light performance of all aps-c cameras.

don't get too stressed... listen to others opinions, but ultimately make your own choice.
    Photography is about seeing without a camera.
    60D | LX3 | Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by ZerocoolAstra View Post
    Essentially, one of the big differences between in-camera and lens stabilization is the stabilization of the image reaching the viewfinder. With the lens stabilization, you see the effect in the viewfinder. Not so with the body-stabilized cameras.
    Arguably, this difference is negligible at the shorter focal lengths.
    When you're talking about 300 or 400mm telephoto lenses, it might make enough of a difference to a pro.
    Furthermore, having the stabilization on the lens allows it to be 'customized' to suit the lens' characteristics.

Marketing and pride has probably prevented Nikon and Canon from moving to in-body stabilization, at least for the amateur range. It (in-body stabilization) certainly seems like the better value-for-money proposition.
    Yup, I fully understand the advantage of having IS in lens as it offer a stabilized image thru viewfinder. However this does not affect image (as in lens IS vs sensor IS), its merely enhances the image when looked thru the viewfinder thats all. For this "non image affecting" effect, you have to pay a few hundred more per lens (which can amount to the thousands over prolong period of time). Maybe for Pros they might find this an issue, but they can afford to pay big money for IS lens. For normal hobbyist, this is just not worth it IMO.

Also, having body IS doesnt mean the camera cannot use lens IS. Sony and Pentax does not come out with IS in their lens cos they dont feel the need to (they trusted that the body IS is enough compensation). However there are various 3rd party lenses that has IS lens that can be used on Sony and Pentax camaras (example Sigma 18-250). So Sony and Pentax DSLR users have the option to choose lens IS or body IS in this case, compared to Nikon and Canon users who have no choice.

BTW this isnt to bash lens IS in anyway. Lens IS has its advantages as stated, just that economically body IS can save ALOT of money. And since TS is concerned about value for money, thus I mentioned this important fact.

BTW TS, forget about the Sony A330.

Check out the A500. Currently on promotion and its really very very cheap if u factor in the whole package.

Sony A500 body + 8GB MS + Vertical Grip (this alone cost $300 if buy seperately) for only $1199 RRP (meaning u will likely get it MUCH cheaper in retail shops). You can then sell away the VG to bring down the cost of your camera.

one answer - the K-x. throw away all your streotypes!

cheap, but damn bloody good

I still don't really understand why you're not into Pentax or why Pentax isn't into you...

Quote Originally Posted by pinholecam View Post

I can only offer this to clear your doubts:
    http://www.photoxels.com/history_pentax.html

This is a 90+yr camera maker with a long list of 1st through its history.
    Thanks for the link. I've had good reading on the history of all the camera manufactures GREAT history there. I love the history. Japanese is king in camera.

http://www.photoxels.com/history.html

which has absolutely nothing to do with whether the brand or camera is capable of doing what you want.

if you have tried it, and say that you didn't like it, fair enough.

just dismissing it because ah mao, ah kow and all of the people who just follow the crowd (and you are following the crowd) don't like it.. that is quite silly

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    which has absolutely nothing to do with whether the brand or camera is capable of doing what you want.

if you have tried it, and say that you didn't like it, fair enough.

just dismissing it because ah mao, ah kow and all of the people who just follow the crowd (and you are following the crowd) don't like it.. that is quite silly
    Its a personal choice lah!

He chose Pamela Anderson over Homemaker GF. (analogy I made in an earlier post on this thread)
    Shoik can already
    Later the plastic sag, can change model

Valid choice imho. End of day, if a person chooses a 'logical' option, usually he will not be happy and keep thinking of what it 'could be'

Blog Entries

remember, buying a N or C camera will make all the photos you take look chio chio... NOT!

has olympus crossed your mind at any point in time?

although only the e3 is weatherproof and uh.. "bulletproof" (kay i don't know about that), the e420 and e620 are both pretty decently priced and give awesome results, provided you use it well. most oly cameras also have body IS.

just something you might want to consider.
    hope this helps!
    Olympian

Quote Originally Posted by twisted illusion View Post
    and the fact that mercedes who supplied the engine in 2009 to the winning team dont even field a team in F1...
    They are in 2010. Schumi is back.
    Alpha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast